what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOVE green Chartreuse! ANY drink with that in it probably wins me over...Gin and Chartreuse, lime...YUP I'm UP

Well played sir

Thank you sir,,, for a great puzzle. I've got to try one of those. As much as I love green Chartreuse, I've always had a tough time figuring out a good pairing, it's truly that unique and complex. "Other-Worldly". the recipe has been secret for over 500 years, and probably delivered by extra-terrestrials. :)

My #2 favorite would have to be Benedictine. (Another Monastery liquer)

#3. Vintage Cointreau,,, before the new owners decided to cheap out, and turn it into today's garbage that now resembles a cheap triple-sec. "80's or earlier was the best. I'd gladly pay a premium for the original.

Last edited:
That's what's great about The Last Word. Being made of equal parts of all the ingredients... It has a balance of bitter, sweet, and pungent. It's also easy to adjust the drink to your tastes, if you find the need.

Bought a bottle of dry sherry for cooking and decided to treat myself to an aperitif. Now hoping it will last until mealtime tomorrow. When did sherry go out of fashion? The stuff is pretty damn delicious..
IMG_2671.jpg

I agree, Sherry is too often overlooked. It used to be quite popular in the '60's and '70's. At one point, it seemed to become more of a "lady's" drink. I think it's a great aperitif for a light afternoon lunch,, and as for cooking, try a teaspoon of Sherry in a bowl of French Onion Soup au Gratin, and it completely transforms and elevates it.

Harvey's Bristol Cream ran some good TV adverts back in the day, and that seemed to boost sherry sales (while it lasted), and Dry Sack also became quite popular during that period.

Last edited:
O sure, and what do you think of PX Sherry, lush. sweet, raisins, plums, dark and gooey deliciousness. Lustau has some great stuff!

No good for the crazy ridiculous sherry diet that got half a generation of house wives hooked, but as a side to a dessert I find it a great drink.

I warn ya now, what follows ain't especially happy...

A few hours ago, COVID killed my long time brother in law. Me and my siblings had a rough time when we were kids. Surely not as bad as some, but, well, anyways... My oldest sister took a lot of it. She was always our champion, our protector. It didn't matter that she was suffering so badly, she was always there.

I'm the youngest by many years and they all got the Hell out of there as young as they could! My sis went through men... They were all losers, she was so strong for everyone else in the world, but so bad for herself.

So she met this guy and I don't know, maybe a couple weeks in, they're married. Neat, here we go again... That was almost forty years ago. He took me in as a teenager and my God do I have stories of those days. I thought he was going to kill me sometimes and looking back, he woulda been in his rights. Of course my sis would always take my side. :) We lived on a ranch and it was hard work and one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Cancer got my sis a few years ago.

I've been good all day. Needed to just get that out. Irish whisky time.

Thank you Bob.

gKvHPMR.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a bottle of dry sherry for cooking and decided to treat myself to an aperitif. Now hoping it will last until mealtime tomorrow. When did sherry go out of fashion? The stuff is pretty damn delicious..
View attachment 140918
That’s a pretty expensive bottle for cooking... I paid over 10 euros for it a while ago. Love sherry - I’ve been drinking lots of traditional but forgotten European drinks like port and sherry.

That’s a pretty expensive bottle for cooking... I paid over 10 euros for it a while ago. Love sherry - I’ve been drinking lots of traditional but forgotten European drinks like port and sherry.
I paid €22 :rolleyes:

I thought I would try one of my Australia wines in celebration of my new working gas grill. I spent a week on and off getting all the parts ordered to rebuild a gas grill using ceramic briquettes. Of course, all this retired work did not interfere with my dominos games.

IMG_0478.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious, and new world! after some serious chopping with my Toyama Nakiri, I felt it was time to I’m one some old world Bordeaux tonight - new world vs old - both delicious in their own right

You've been quiet lately @RDalman ! How was your summer?

To keep it on topic, tell us more about the home brew too :)
Really good and long summer break, thanks! A bit slow start in the shop, murphy took a batch of knives, but nearing some finished knives again.

Joined in on a couple of friends brewing equipment on brewing a batch this summer, which turned out fun, so I started making some easy extractbrewing at home. This is the first batch I'm really happy with, a follow on a clone-recipe of my favourite beer from oppigårds, but with one hop variety changed out. English ale style, light, fairly bitter and hoppy enough.
Havent been quite happy with the ipa attempts. Coming up is a proper lager and a blonde ale I bottles this morning. They're same recipe but different yeasts. My thought from the get go was something ~kölsch with the blonde ale but realized it won't be just that without a more specific kölschyeast. English translation on label; shoemakers deburrer (we live in the "shoemakers" house)

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_081609.jpg
    IMG_20210915_081609.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 7
Nice! I really got into the Torbreck and D'Arenberg wines - both do some awesomely complex and large things with Shiraz blends.

I thought I would try one of my Australia wines in celebration of my new working gas grill. I spent a week on and off getting all the parts ordered to rebuild a gas grill using ceramic briquettes. Of course, all this retired work did not interfere with my dominos games.

One of our last bottles of Kachina bubbly. A really nice wine that is sadly no longer produced…
DB9D89E9-B130-4B06-A9FC-7E48F3AC6F93.jpeg

Enjoyed with a little caviar!
DB318E0F-3E8B-463F-A4C7-EDAFDED2BB3F.jpeg

Back