what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an Islay guy through and through. Salty peaty smokey Scotch is what I enjoy most - I've tried whiskey/whisky of basically every origin. Bourbon is too sweet for me, Canadian (my homeland) stuff is uninspiring for the most part and relegated to cocktails. Lately though I've found a new love for an island dram. Talisker 10 is very similar in profile to the islays I so adore like Laphroaig and lagavulin.

If you can get your hands on young, old oak cask bottlings of Talisker, you absolutely should. I think Hepburns Choice has put out a few.

If you can get your hands on young, old oak cask bottlings of Talisker, you absolutely should. I think Hepburns Choice has put out a few.
Haven't ever seen this in Canada and import of alcohol is so cost prohibitive that it's not worth it but I'll keep my eyes peeled!

it's the time of year again, and the weather suits it perfectly....
20211022_183112.jpg

I'm an Islay guy through and through. Salty peaty smokey Scotch is what I enjoy most - I've tried whiskey/whisky of basically every origin. Bourbon is too sweet for me, Canadian (my homeland) stuff is uninspiring for the most part and relegated to cocktails. Lately though I've found a new love for an island dram. Talisker 10 is very similar in profile to the islays I so adore like Laphroaig and lagavulin.

Islay fan here as well. (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg). Talisker is from Isle of Skye if I remember correctly. I've got a 10 y.o. but haven't cracked it open yet. I found a SUPERB Talisker D.E. (Distiller's Edition) a few years back, and it was so good that I drove 90 miles to pick up another bottle at the same store, but unfortunately, I wasn't quite so lucky this time around. That second bottle was from a different batch, and the difference in flavour profile was like comparing an Islay with a Speyside. Completely different character. That said; when you find a great bottling, stock up,,, because the word will spread and the price will go through the roof.

I'm pretty sure I still have that original Talisker D.E. that I liked so much. It's a "knock-your-socks-off" whisky. Yep, I've just found it; and it was,,,,,,,,
batch # TD-S; 5MY and came in a brown box w/ gold lettering. Double matured, and distilled in 1999, bottled in 2010.

1635044894972.png

Last edited:
Don't you purest who drink aged scotch neat
give me a hard time. I'm Scottish decent but
don't drink hard liquor. Thought I would try
a high ball. Keffer lime from friends tree, Perrier carbonated water, my favorite ginger drink.

IMG_20211023_221554389.jpg

Don't you purest who drink aged scotch neat
give me a hard time. I'm Scottish decent but
don't drink hard liquor. Thought I would try
a high ball. Keffer lime from friends tree, Perrier carbonated water, my favorite ginger drink.

View attachment 148435

Hi Keith, There's absolutely nothing wrong with drinking whatever you like, whenever you like, so enjoy, and cheers to you on this Formula 1 weekend.

That said, I'd heartily recommend you try club soda instead of Perrier, which is far too salty. I personally love Perrier,,,, but not as a "mixer" with scotch.

Scotch & Soda on the Rocks is an age-old classic. (no lime/ no ginger)

Cheers.

Islay fan here as well. (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg). Talisker is from Isle of Skye if I remember correctly. I've got a 10 y.o. but haven't cracked it open yet. I found a SUPERB Talisker D.E. (Distiller's Edition) a few years back, and it was so good that I drove 90 miles to pick up another bottle at the same store, but unfortunately, I wasn't quite so lucky this time around. That second bottle was from a different batch, and the difference in flavour profile was like comparing an Islay with a Speyside. Completely different character. That said; when you find a great bottling, stock up,,, because the word will spread and the price will go through the roof.

I'm pretty sure I still have that original Talisker D.E. that I liked so much. It's a "knock-your-socks-off" whisky. Yep, I've just found it; and it was,,,,,,,,
batch # TD-S; 5MY and came in a brown box w/ gold lettering. Double matured, and distilled in 1999, bottled in 2010.

View attachment 148406
Beauty! Wouldn't mind trying that DE! And yes you're right about talisker being nan island not as Islay!

I couldn't find club soda was surprised the perrier was all they had along with a bunch of fruit flavor carbonated waters. My love of anything ginger figured would help. Really like these keffer limes but agree they don't go with this drink.

Football & F1 Sunday is loaded.

Beauty! Wouldn't mind trying that DE! And yes you're right about talisker being nan island not as Islay!

Yeah, the Isle of Skye is north of the Island of Islay, and as far as I know, Talisker is the only whisky distilled on that island. Islay has 7 or 8 active distilleries, including Ardbeg (my favourite), Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Kilchoman, and Caol Ila. Some others have existed in the past, and some of those may be revived in the future. (Port Ellen, etc)

I did a quick search yesterday, looking for that particular batch of Talisker D.E. that I liked, and I found one collector in Europe, asking 299 Euros per bottle. When I bought mine, I doubt I paid more than $100. Canadian at that time. (roughly 69 Euro)

Buying good whisky (or any wine or spirit) can be a very good investment when you spot a great bottling. I bought a Balvenie Doublewood quite a while back, and probably paid just under $90. Canadian, and it just kept rising in price, to over $200./ bottle in the span of roughly 2-3 years. I also have a few bottles of 1976 Chateau Margaux as well, and probably paid $60./bottle duty-free, and I was offered $1,000./ bottle for those. Mind you, the "batch number" really matters, so you can't go by name alone.

The guy who offered me $1,000. for the Margaux was a collector/dealer. When I asked him why he'd offer so much without knowing if it was still good, his response was, "that's the charm of the game". Obviously, he was a well-informed calculated-risk taker with a list of potential clients, and he might have turned around and sold it for double what he paid.

I couldn't find club soda was surprised the perrier was all they had along with a bunch of fruit flavor carbonated waters. My love of anything ginger figured would help. Really like these keffer limes but agree they don't go with this drink.

Football & F1 Sunday is loaded.

I think you'll find that scotch & soda has a nice complementary flavour,,, a bit of a "nutty" characteristic. I prefer "Canada Dry" club soda over most of the others I've tried. When I first tried Perrier with a blended scotch, I found the flavours of each, butted heads with each other, and that kinda surprised me at the time. Not what I expected.

Yeah, I'll be channel-surfing today. What a line-up. Baltimore's playing the Bengals,,,, F-1 Grand Prix will be on soon,,,, and the Chiefs are losing 14-0 to the Titans. I can record two programs at a time, but I can't switch channels while recording two shows simultaneously.

Last edited:
Now that it's fall, again, I'm continuing to meander through some not-too-expensive Irish whiskeys -

WT.jpg

Yep, I'm always on the lookout too. A "daily dram/ bone warmer" that doesn't need to be complex, nor with a lengthy developing finish. I tried Te Bheag (Gaelic whisky from Skye) and it was quite pleasant. I've also bought a bottle of Islay Mist but haven't cracked that one open yet.

Last edited:
beware, watch out....I once ran into a hangover non plus ultra from it when we ran out of diluents and started drinking it on ice....

I really need to give negronis a try. I am always tempted to order the rest of the ingredients since we always have gin here as I seem to collect them.

I am been on a whiskey sour trip lately. Its just so easy to drink with some Maker's Mark 46.

I recommend Antica Formula vermouth. If you don't drink a lot of vermouth, maybe better to get the half-size bottle so you can drink it faster. It goes "off" in the fridge after a few months.

I recommend Antica Formula vermouth. If you don't drink a lot of vermouth, maybe better to get the half-size bottle so you can drink it faster. It goes "off" in the fridge after a few months.

Thats the vermouth I was looking at after doing research and will probably grab a smaller bottle to try them out and if I like then bigger ones can be gotten for sure. Which Gin do you prefer for yours?

Thats the vermouth I was looking at after doing research and will probably grab a smaller bottle to try them out and if I like then bigger ones can be gotten for sure. Which Gin do you prefer for yours?
I like any decent dry gin. Gilpin's Westmoreland Extra Dry Gin is great. Monkey 47 dry gin too.

I guess I need to play around. I have a bunch. Barrel aged monkey, maybe a the Duke. My fav right now is probably caorunn or roku, illusionist is also really good.. I have a lot
Sounds like you need to make a whole bunch of negronis and drink them to find out. The things we must go through......

I decided to try a four-pack of Paulaner Hefeweizen, 16oz. cans. I'm not a big fan of cans, and even when I buy bottles, I still pour my beer into a glass. It wasn't bad at all, but a bit pricey at $7.99. I don't mind a Paulaner every so often, but there are better hefeweizens out there.
Paulaner 16oz Hefeweizen 4 Pack.jpg

I prefer Hofbrau, but like to mix it up. Franziskaner is another I like to drink every so often. I missed the yeast you get with the bottles. There was no evidence or trace of it in the cans, unfortunately. I could still tell it came from a can, there's a perceivable "tang" you get from a can that is absent from bottled beer.

I decided to try a four-pack of Paulaner Hefeweizen, 16oz. cans. I'm not a big fan of cans, and even when I buy bottles, I still pour my beer into a glass. It wasn't bad at all, but a bit pricey at $7.99. I don't mind a Paulaner every so often, but there are better hefeweizens out there. View attachment 150547

I prefer Hofbrau, but like to mix it up. Franziskaner is another I like to drink every so often. I missed the yeast you get with the bottles. There was no evidence or trace of it in the cans, unfortunately. I could still tell it came from a can, there's a perceivable "tang" you get from a can that is absent from bottled beer.

Hi Grayswandir, Just curious, is that a "brewed in America" version of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen? or is it "imported" from Germany? Typically, the imports label the content-volume in milliliters rather than fl.oz. I've never found the domestic (North American) versions to be quite as good as their European counterparts. Whenever I went to Munich, I liked Lowenbrau, but here in Quebec, we often got the "Brewed for Lowenbrau by Molson breweries" version, and although it was "similar", it was never quite the same.

Back