what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Grayswandir, Just curious, is that a "brewed in America" version of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen? or is it "imported" from Germany? Typically, the imports label the content-volume in milliliters rather than fl.oz. I've never found the domestic (North American) versions to be quite as good as their European counterparts. Whenever I went to Munich, I liked Lowenbrau, but here in Quebec, we often got the "Brewed for Lowenbrau by Molson breweries" version, and although it was "similar", it was never quite the same.
I'm not sure, I'll take a look for you.

AA3E174B-8A14-42A2-9332-8DE62DD336AF.jpeg

every time I crack one of those open I'm amazed how much flavors I forgot, it's so complex and well balanced....

every time I crack one of those open I'm amazed how much flavors I forgot, it's so complex and well balanced....
I once did a blind test with some friends between the W12, Rochefort 10, and the St. Bernardus 12. Liked the W12 and the Rochefort 10 equally with the Bernardus placed behind them. I buy the W12 as a fun treat once in a while, but typically go for the Rochefort 10 due to it being considerably cheaper and less scarce.

I agree, My preference is for WXII, by quite a bit but Rochefort is nice too and Bernardus also.... but since scarcity is not an issue at the shop I'm visiting for Belgian specialty beer..... :angel:

Montechristo is next in line w.r to complexity IMO but not as subtle an less elegant microfoam

I'll have to see if any of these at Tamura's our best Honolulu beer liquor store I know they have quite a few darks.

I agree, My preference is for WXII, by quite a bit but Rochefort is nice too and Bernardus also.... but since scarcity is not an issue at the shop I'm visiting for Belgian specialty beer..... :angel:
I used to order crates of Rochefort 10 from a website called belgiuminabox, but unfortunately they went bankrupt. I've yet to find another good source. A single bottle of Rochefort 10 in Denmark is usually 5,5 EUR, which I think is too much.

At what temperature do you EU folks drink dark
beer. Room temp., chilled, or cold?

As rule of thumb you can use the Alcohol percentage (Vol%) as temperature in Celsius, so 5% at or around 5'C, 8% at or around 8 'C and so forth. The majority of Belgian beers is well over 6%, going up to 11%.
Not set in stone, but it works pretty well if you ignore stuff like 'strong beers' which usually are lagers with more alcohol content than usual catering for a different public.

Last edited:
Marcel is right, but I am a plebian so I like to drink all my beer as cold as possible. I like the first few sips to be ice cold and then the beer gradually loses the chill and flavors open up. If I pour the beer at optimal drinking temp, usually it will be too close to room temp by the time I finish it. Maybe I drink too slowly.

Marcel is right, but I am a plebian so I like to drink all my beer as cold as possible. I like the first few sips to be ice cold and then the beer gradually loses the chill and flavors open up. If I pour the beer at optimal drinking temp, usually it will be too close to room temp by the time I finish it. Maybe I drink too slowly.
Rule nr 1 with beer...thou shalt not drink too slowly! :p

A good solution is splitting one bottle with someone, which only works out if you have someone to enjoy it together with.

EU is beer mecca. When I traveled in Japan and China it was apparent how much they enjoy beer too.

EU is beer mecca. When I traveled in Japan and China it was apparent how much they enjoy beer too.

I guess so, lately craft brewers in the US are catching up though!

Most beer I encountered in China and Japan was 'standard' Lager, most Belgian 'specialty' beers are vastly different!

Always liked beer. In US lagers the norm until rise of craft brewers. Still enjoy a good lager a brewer 10 minute drive from my house makes a
nice fresh pilsner. Couple IPA too.

When was in Kayak club those guys liked the dark beers, tried some of those. These days always pour into a glass. I like fresh beer. Tho I know some of the darks are better aged.

Back