what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

Some delightful Japanese gin

I've been hesitant myself but started drinking them after reading this article...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thetak...hisky-soda-cocktail-drink-reci-1840735090/amp
"Luckily, the man who first mentioned the drink, Ewan Gunn, happens to be both Scottish and the Global Scotch Whisky Master for Diageo, the parent company of Lagavulin."
The drinks world needs more of this type of irreverence! I forget where I read it, but the youngest Julian Van Winkle ordered a Pappy old fashioned in a bar with a muddled orange and the bartender was aghast and told him he couldn’t possibly make that. Ole’ Van Winkle just laughed and said, “funny, that’s how my great grandfather who’s on the bottle always had it.”

Best drink I had in 2019 was a pina colada made with Reisetbauer carrot brandy. Wish I still had a bottle of that stuff around…

carrot brandy, I never knew it existed....hard to imagine a flavor...

I was introduced to a combination of Port and Cognac many years ago flying from Manilla to Amsterdam, that to me was quite irreverent ;-) but it works well! (i've never slept better on a plane)

carrot brandy, I never knew it existed....hard to imagine a flavor...

I was introduced to a combination of Port and Cognac many years ago flying from Manilla to Amsterdam, that to me was quite irreverent ;-) but it works well! (i've never slept better on a plane)
It smelled like the carroty-est carrot and had tons of vegetal sweetness. Very, very weird and cool stuff - exactly what I like to drink. I also got a bottle of habanero "brandy" somewhere. NO capsaicin makes it into the distillate! It smells like it'd be super spicy but is fruity as all get out on the tongue with absolutely no spice.

Last edited:
The drinks world needs more of this type of irreverence! I forget where I read it, but the youngest Julian Van Winkle ordered a Pappy old fashioned in a bar with a muddled orange and the bartender was aghast and told him he couldn’t possibly make that. Ole’ Van Winkle just laughed and said, “funny, that’s how my great grandfather who’s on the bottle always had it.”

Best drink I had in 2019 was a pina colada made with Reisetbauer carrot brandy. Wish I still had a bottle of that stuff around…
People say she's crazy, she's got diamonds on the soles of her shoes....

We were in NAPA with my wife's wine brother, and we had this bad boy. It is one of the gravel Round Pond wines that is top of the line. At around $300 a bottle it is above my pay grade. It sure was nice. I bought some bottles at around half that price which are nice. I will post one when we drink it.

It will take me a bit to get back to our wines after being in NAPA for 4 days of wine drinking. Some of my wines now seem lacking. I will get over it.

IMG_0867.jpg

Welcome to the sad Cafe....
Please tell me if you know of a better 50usd bottle. Not sure I can think of one...
3062.jpeg

Chartreuse comes in two varieties green and yellow, both are herbal liqueurs (but vary in strength and flavor). There has been a problem with their distribution and it was hard to get both varieties starting the end of last year. The Last Word is a great option for green chartreuse. The drink I posted above is a play off of that drink.
IMG_20220718_210430.jpg

Last edited:
Preparing for a move south and never got around to opening any of these. I'm a tequila or wine guy, Bourbon isn't even my third choice, but feel like maybe I should just crack each and compare a swig of each?

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_124515_01.jpg
    IMG_20220713_124515_01.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
Belvedere vodka, straight up, right out of the freezer (where I also keep the glasses.) But I keep fantasizing about a combination of beer and nitrous oxide which would be named a Brouhaha.

Back