what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve come to expect some sly kicks from Ardbeg, but unfortunately this one’s a bit thin and hollow. Loud at first, but sadly empty when compared to cask strength scotch.

Fun flavours, but lacks the big-ness that makes peaty scotch exciting. Entry level and charmingly so. View attachment 217391
At least it has an age statement? 😬

Reactions: Pie
1493CD97-B7FB-40B4-808B-72655E894367.jpeg

I like the label, although Bertha looks like a sweetie and not overly vengeful
Apparently it is made with Whey alcohol from the local dairy farms in CO.Cork and Bertha is a Guinness holding legend.
Bertha, or ‘Big Bertha’ as she was known, was a legendary Droimeann cow from Sneem in Co. Kerry. She was reared locally, and was bought as a calf by a farmer called Jerome O’Leary.

When she died on New Year’s Eve 1993, just 3 months shy of her 49th birthday, she had become something of a local celebrity. Over the course of her long life she had given birth to 39 calves, and this achievement, together with her tremendous age, had earned her an entry in the Guinness Book of Records. This fame was harnessed productively by Mr. O’Leary; Bertha became a regular at local fairs, and lead the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade in Sneem where she was engaged in raising money for local cancer relief charities.

If you like pisco, you may also like Singani, another un-aged Latin brandy, from Bolivia. Cool stuff.
Interesting, that's one I haven't seen on a shelf before. Time for me to do some searching, always happy to some variety in the pantry

Sazeracs tonight (yeah, not a dry January so far)
My favorite cocktail! I've found that it doesn't really make a difference to use superb absinthe, like the amazing bottle of Jade pictured. So I have a system: if I try out an absinthe, and don't much like it, I put it aside for use in Sazeracs. There are a lot of mediocre absinthes, and a very few amazing ones.

My favorite cocktail! I've found that it doesn't really make a difference to use superb absinthe, like the amazing bottle of Jade pictured. So I have a system: if I try out an absinthe, and don't much like it, I put it aside for use in Sazeracs. There are a lot of mediocre absinthes, and a very few amazing ones.
I'm sure you're right, but unfortunately (fortunately?) I only have two bottles of absinthe and they're both Jades. I keep some in a miniature bottle that makes it easier to use in tiny amounts for things like this.

Back