what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Akvavit basil smash, garnish with basil or a lingonberry

Edit: whoa the akvavit is really delicious in a smash

20230228_224957.jpg

Always!

0.75 oz lightly aged Rhum Agricole
0.5 oz high ester Jamaican rum (Smith & Cross ideally)
1 oz sweet vermouth (one of the rare instances I think Carpano makes sense in cocktails)
5/8 oz Campari
3/8 oz Tempus Fugit banana liqueur (no subs on this one)
2 dashes Bittermans Tiki bitters

Orange peel over the top and into the glass as garnish, bonus points if you flame it (usually not a fan, but it works here). I usually like to build this over one large cube so the first few sips are full strength and really funky / fruity before it mellows out into crushable goodness.

The x/8 measurements are finicky, sure, but I found it was the best balance with the r(h)ums and vermouth I used. Depending on what you use might require some tweaking
I tracked down some of the banana stuff. Delicious! Still had to adapt the recipe a little: no rhum agricole (used an ounce of S&C) or Bittermens tiki bitters (used Angostura).
EDIT: I probably should have put orange peel down in the drink... next time!
kingston_negroni.jpg

Last edited:
My dad made a trip to India for work, and naturally I couldn't let him return without some sort of local liquor. This stuff is basically concentrated funk in a bottle, super interesting and I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Seems like it would be good on the rocks, but I also want to see if i can make some pretty cocktails with it. Should be quite fun

20230304_002348.jpg

Last edited:
I went to a wine tasting yesterday at my favorite Italian restaurant and they had just done inventory. They had a bunch of cases of wine of leftovers wines they were no longer going to carry. They were bargain prices, so I bought 5 cases mainly Spanish and Italian wines. It will give me a chance to drink more old-world wines.

Had a dram of that last night. I also have a bottle of the 12 yo version and to be honest I prefer the 12, which has more character. At less than half the price its a no brainer.
Nice when it works out like that! Unfortunately I'm a sucker for what seems to me some extra depth and richness that the 16 offers, but I like the 12 too and drink it in much greater quantities so by that measure anyway it's winning.

EDIT: By the way, what's up with that price difference! Here the 16 and 12 are about US$80 and US$60 respectively, including tax.

Last edited:
Nice when it works out like that! Unfortunately I'm a sucker for what seems to me some extra depth and richness that the 16 offers, but I like the 12 too and drink it in much greater quantities so by that measure anyway it's winning.

EDIT: By the way, what's up with that price difference! Here the 16 and 12 are about US$80 and US$60 respectively, including tax.
I paid €110 for the 16 in Europe. €56 for the 12. Much bigger price differential

Efter holding a lecture about stock investments at a local club, I think I deserve a drink. Since the topic was mainly American investments, I grabbed an American bottle. I like this bottle. Or rather its contents.

View attachment 229817

The knife? Oh, it's just the only American knife I own so it begged to be in the picture.
Underappreciated as a sipping whiskey!

Some tweaked old fashioned🥃

Attachments

• 79B64765-72E0-4B57-82E6-119D2AE8E45D.jpeg
    79B64765-72E0-4B57-82E6-119D2AE8E45D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back