what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BE21366C-4784-4DA2-BDD6-272A4C861623.jpeg
Very nice! I have two STI’s, both in 9mm, a chrome Trojan and a DVC Limited. Quality has been top notch. Both of the slides feel like they are on roller bearings. I’ve owned a dozen 1911’s and never had any as smooth. Wished my skill matched their capability.

Ken

Last edited:
Welp, I was able to sneak off with a buddy out to his property today and give it a quick run through its paces. Even though I’m still running irons right now it’s accurate AF. It will far outshoot my abilities but I feel that it’s more accurate than my past sti’s.

Recoil. What recoil? You can really tell the comp is doing it’s job. It doesn’t feel like a 22 but it definitely sits flat.

Trigger is what you’d expect from a 1911/2011. The best. Reset was a little hard to find in the beginning, it’s definitely less audible than my tacticals. After about 20rds you get used to it though.

lockup with the comp is interesting. When it’s in battery, racking the slide takes quite a bit of effort due to how the comp locks up with the slide. Maybe it will break in and become a little bit easier to manipulate? I’ll have to report back on that.

Welp, I was able to sneak off with a buddy out to his property today and give it a quick run through its paces. Even though I’m still running irons right now it’s accurate AF. It will far outshoot my abilities but I feel that it’s more accurate than my past sti’s.

Recoil. What recoil? You can really tell the comp is doing it’s job. It doesn’t feel like a 22 but it definitely sits flat.

Trigger is what you’d expect from a 1911/2011. The best. Reset was a little hard to find in the beginning, it’s definitely less audible than my tacticals. After about 20rds you get used to it though.

lockup with the comp is interesting. When it’s in battery, racking the slide takes quite a bit of effort due to how the comp locks up with the slide. Maybe it will break in and become a little bit easier to manipulate? I’ll have to report back on that.
Awesome feedback. Thanks. Will be curious on the lockup too. It's not just a stiff recoil spring or could that be the culprit? I suspect if it is a recoil spring thing, it will lessen with time. That said, I don't know how tight those are out of the box. My Les Baer's are ridiculously tight out of the box. Until 500-1000 rounds, they are tough to manipulate.

View attachment 74555 Very nice! I have two STI’s, both in 9mm, a chrome Trojan and a DVC Limited. Quality has been top notch. Both of the slides feel like they are on roller bearings. I’ve owned a dozen 1911’s and never had any as smooth. Wished my skill matched their capability.

Ken
i have a trojan also, quick question do you know if this will work on it or is it only for 2011 models? https://dawsonprecision.com/mag-release-button-1911-oversized-with-4-40-threads-by-sti/ i currently use a wilson extended mag release which is tapped. but i dont know if the thread pattern matches.

i have a trojan also, quick question do you know if this will work on it or is it only for 2011 models? https://dawsonprecision.com/mag-release-button-1911-oversized-with-4-40-threads-by-sti/ i currently use a wilson extended mag release which is tapped. but i dont know if the thread pattern matches.
Not sure but I’m sure they could tell you. They are extremely knowledgeable about STI guns. Give them a call on Monday. I bought the magwell on the Trojan from them and other 1911 parts for other guns. Always been very helpful.

i just got a call from Glock. they have my handgun slide.. i sent it in for the factory night sights. only $67!! plus the coin to ship to them. i cannot wait to get it back and take it to some shoot.

glock factory service are some friendly folks. very responsive.

my retired boss is planning a social distancing shooting contest.

Journey started with paying $.25 for a used "Cartridges of the World" at a neighbors garage sale when I was like 5 or 6. Pretty much memorized it cover to cover by the age of 10.

Got to a point in my late 20's where I couldn't buy the firearms that I dreamed of in my head. So I started building my own. Had worked my way through college at a machine shop with some grouchy and cagey machinists which helped a lot. First build was a 35 Whelen on a Remington 700 action. Took it to Maine and had a really nice bear hunt. Assembling M1A's followed suit, long range rifles on custom actions, tuning CZ 75b's, action jobs on Smith and Wessons, tuning 1911's, etc.

I've gotten to a point where I'm considering scratch building actions. The artisan in me wants to leave something behind that outlasts the corporal and my memory. Something that feels good in the hand and makes a person wonder about the maker.

Favorites at this time are a S&W 18-4 in .22 long rifle. Perfect for putting in my jacket pocket when I take a walk. Favorite rifle is another self build based on a R700 action, Claro Walnut stock with a Krieger barrel in .308. Topped with a Leupold, it does everything I need it to do.

My grandfather made it through life with a .22 rifle, 94 winchester in 30-30 and a 38 revolver. I feel like a glutton sometimes but it's my burden I guess...........

Journey started with paying $.25 for a used "Cartridges of the World" at a neighbors garage sale when I was like 5 or 6. Pretty much memorized it cover to cover by the age of 10.

Got to a point in my late 20's where I couldn't buy the firearms that I dreamed of in my head. So I started building my own. Had worked my way through college at a machine shop with some grouchy and cagey machinists which helped a lot. First build was a 35 Whelen on a Remington 700 action. Took it to Maine and had a really nice bear hunt. Assembling M1A's followed suit, long range rifles on custom actions, tuning CZ 75b's, action jobs on Smith and Wessons, tuning 1911's, etc.

I've gotten to a point where I'm considering scratch building actions. The artisan in me wants to leave something behind that outlasts the corporal and my memory. Something that feels good in the hand and makes a person wonder about the maker.

Favorites at this time are a S&W 18-4 in .22 long rifle. Perfect for putting in my jacket pocket when I take a walk. Favorite rifle is another self build based on a R700 action, Claro Walnut stock with a Krieger barrel in .308. Topped with a Leupold, it does everything I need it to do.

My grandfather made it through life with a .22 rifle, 94 winchester in 30-30 and a 38 revolver. I feel like a glutton sometimes but it's my burden I guess...........
If you haven't read John Browning's biography, you should. His journey is a great story.

I don't have the skill or the tools, but I have a checkbook. Here's the only "custom" I own. Pre-64 Winchester .270 built by Dennis Olson from Montana. I've also got a few Coopers.

F6C3BE70-D144-4B86-AC53-FA620BED3919.jpeg
F6C3BE70-D144-4B86-AC53-FA620BED3919.jpeg
4D0648F8-8C15-42F8-901C-0611855E584D.jpeg
A750F20C-4A23-4087-AAAA-4C1CE95860ED.jpeg
6F6C0229-28FF-464B-8722-FC3BB35C2EDB.jpeg
79D13DEF-19A0-4090-97FE-B510B3284123.jpeg
4354830A-0F63-4B03-9B36-7B94701D74C5.jpeg
F933CEE6-8AE9-414F-B219-6697631AED21.jpeg

If you haven't read John Browning's biography, you should. His journey is a great story.

I don't have the skill or the tools, but I have a checkbook. Here's the only "custom" I own. Pre-64 Winchester .270 built by Dennis Olson from Montana. I've also got a few Coopers.

View attachment 78996View attachment 78996View attachment 78997View attachment 78998View attachment 78999View attachment 79000View attachment 79001View attachment 79002
Beautiful.
im too rough on rifles. I fell off a small shale ledge with a brand new weatherby 257. Took care of the “new gun look” immediately. My hunts are pretty heinous. I’ve used a rifle to push thru brush.

Beautiful.
im too rough on rifles. I fell off a small shale ledge with a brand new weatherby 257. Took care of the “new gun look” immediately. My hunts are pretty heinous. I’ve used a rifle to push thru brush.
These are safe queens for sure. I don't even like to take them to the range.

Wow, that photo. Insane. Curious why/what you like about the APC9 over the MP5. Also, and perhaps more importantly, look at the hardware in that box. I see RMRs, comp guns, a SRO, among other things. Do show!

The APC9 pro is lighter, more compact, more reliable, faster cycling, more accurate, and tougher than the MP5. The build quality is better than Dakota Tactical MP5’s (which are 4 grand) not to mention original HK MP5’s. The manual of arms is superior (similar to an AR), everything is ambidextrous and they have glock mag compatible models. Also you can swap out the grip for AR grips and the lower will accept some but not all AR trigger groups. I have a Triggertech AR Diamond in mine, beats the hell out of Geissele. And yeah I’m a huge fan of the SRO. I’d say my dot acquisition is twice as fast vs the RMR and the glass is clearer and the dot is crisper.

View attachment 78996View attachment 78996View attachment 78997View attachment 78998View attachment 78999View attachment 79000View attachment 79001View attachment 79002
John Browning was not human, just dropped in from another galaxy. That’s the only explanation which works for me. If you ever find yourself with time to kill in Salt Lake City area, the JMB museum in Ogden might convince you as well. Dude was a master by the age of 11, creating firearms from discarded railroad iron, that are still functioning 100 years later. #Freak.

Nice but not cheap.
A lot cheaper than my MP5 lol, by a long shot
@HalfBloodHobbit Do you own a MPX? I've been eyeing one and wanted to see how it compares to the ACP9.
I have an MPX, a Scorpion, a TP9 and a Dakota Tactical MP5 and the APC9 pro shits on everything. It’s the best made, the toughest, the most accurate and by far the best fit and finish. It also accepts AR trigger modules I have a Triggertech AR diamond in mine and you can run the gun so fast.

Ok sounds like I'll switch my sights to the APC9, thanks.

Last edited:
A lot cheaper than my MP5 lol, by a long shot

I have an MPX, a Scorpion, a TP9 and a Dakota Tactical MP5 and the APC9 pro shits on everything. It’s the best made, the toughest, the most accurate and by far the best fit and finish. It also accepts AR trigger modules I have a Triggertech AR diamond in mine and you can run the gun so fast.

How's MPX compare to a Scorpion performance wise?
4.5" MPX K might be too short to use?

How's MPX compare to a Scorpion performance wise?
4.5" MPX K might be too short to use?
The MPX runs smoother with less recoil much better fit and finish. Scorpion is every bit as accurate though and will run while it’s super dirty with no lube but the trigger as absolutely trash. Even with aftermarket options it’s not good

I really enjoy the AR style handguns. I have a CMMG Banshee in .45 and a Grand Power Stribog in 9mm. Both super accurate. The Banshee doesn't like my reloads, but works great with factory ammo. Very impressed with the Stribog quality for the money.

Latest posts

Back