what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've decided to get a beretta m9a3 with tax money. will be first time owning a gun although i've shot plenty times before. any tips/good-to-knows/etc as a first time gun owner? such as maintenance, potential mods and such..

so ammo is going to get expensive fast, where should i buy in bulk? any specific rounds you recommend? looking for economy but reliable.

There’s an app called Ammo Seek that compares prices. Decent name brand target grade can usually be had for .20/round in bulk. I got 1000 rounds of Winchester from Midway couple of months ago for $199 and free shipping.

You can usually find cheaper steel cased, such as Wolf, but for not much more you can stay with name brand brass.

Ken

Glock 19
Berreta 92fs

Beretta are fairly insensitive to ammo IMO and seem to handle most, lube it properly and it will shoot all the +p you can afford to feed it, but will probable love 124 grain. Start with 115 gr FMJ - Wolf WPA MC? it's cheapish.

I would just make sure you use some decent amount of defensive ammo to start with, definitely want to be sure it functions properly with the better ammo. Stick with the top 4 or 5 major ammo manufacturers, Winchester, Speer/CCI, Federal, Remington.

If you need it to work 100% of the time and care about nothing else... Glock 19. You want something sexier Sig ... Want the best STI

I got my first instructor credentials in 1977. Have introduced a few to shooting since, none of 'em died.

Maybe you would best get a .22 pistol for a start? Cheap ammo, quieter, less recoil to distract you while you learn about sight picture and trigger/action manipulation.

But if you want to jump into centerfire pistols right off the bat...

I am going to be contrarian.

The US Gov't. chose the Beretta 92 for reasons OTHER than the handling and accuracy qualities a civilian user (especially a brand new one!) would/should prioritize. And DOD made that choice before the polymer framed handguns got to be adequately well worked out systems and took over much of the market.

Mainly, the 92 is a euro design and the 9mm is a dual purpose round for subguns as well as pistols, cheaper, lighter ammo for logistics, AND as a sop to the rest of NATO after we ****ed them all with the 7.62/5.56 for battle rifles & "assault rifles" & MGs, plus it's somewhat reliable and cheap compared to a basic milled steel 1911, especially if the DOD buys a **** ton of them.

What is not for a new shooter to like?

9mm is a high pressure round, the recoil impulse of a 115gr 9mm in total foot pounds may be less than that of a standard 240gr .45ACP, but it is comparatively SHARP and more painful/distracting/flinch promoting than the .45, both from personal experience and the feedback given by people I have taught to shoot auto pistols. The .40 S&W is even worse in this regard.

Please, consider a polymer framed .45.

Right now, this Walther PPQ full size .45 is what I am suggesting for new shooters getting into center fire pistol:

https://www.gunbuyer.com/walther-ppq-45-m2-4-blk-wal2807076-e.html

I personally own the version with a slightly longer threaded barrel, it is kinder to the neighbors if I practice with a suppressor.

20180308_230431.jpg

Look at Hickock.45s impression on first shooting this version of the PPQ and see what you think? This old man is more experienced than I.

Last edited:
hawkie - i want an ak47

that was a cool video, that dude can shoot!
my heart is set on the beretta. i've shot sig p226 and hk vp9, still i vibe better with m9. would like to try out a cz 75 at some point.

Last edited:
Glocks have been out long enough for most of the bugs to be worked out, but the grip ergonomics do not work for my wide, short fingered "farmer hands". Gaston Glock has some... personal and family issues, but the pistol design with his name on it has matured.

The Sig has the barrel just a bit too high for my taste, but it IS a Swiss design, only people more obsessive-compulsive than the Germans over weapons design. I have a K31 and deeply regret not having one of the semi auto only civilian versions of the Stg58 which were briefly imported into USA.

I have a P7M8 for a 9mm, lowest bore of any common pistol and a beautifully accurate, sensible design. Bought it because of thr accuracy and slick system to have if I were ever going to use a mid sized 9mm as a carry pistol. But I don't carry it, because I wouldn't be able to replace it if I ever had to use it. Sucks.

Got several iterations of the Beretta 92 and 96, everything from the short slide police version to a stainless steel "brigadier". They ARE OK. They too have been around the block long enough for all the issues to have been found and worked out. But they don't do what the H&K or the Walther do so effortlessly for me, getting hits on target as quickly and precisely as possible.

The CZ75 is a good pistol, if I couldn't have the Walther or H&K, I would choose the CZ over the Glock or Beretta.

I own six CZ rifles last time I counted. You get a lot for your money with CZ.

Here's a link to AmmoSeek

What do you need ammo for - plinking, shooting games, concealed carry, home defense, hunting?

Most of the major US ammo manufacturers (federal, remington, winchester, CCI) produce generic 9mm full-metal jacket (FMJ or 'ball') that is interchangeable. This is typical plinking and training/range stuff, shop for it based on price and convenience. If your gun & mags are brand new, try several boxes of several brands while breaking them in and see if any preferences show up. Unlikely but possible.

Buying bulk online (500 or 1000rds) can be cheap but watch the shipping. If shipping isn't included buying locally will likely be cheaper. Big box retailers like Cabelas/BassPro and Walmart can be a good sources, depends on the specific store. Local gun clubs and ranges are worth checking out. If your local range/club offers training classes or runs competitive shooting events, they may supply a lot of the ammo. They may also have discount arrangements with local re-loaders or re-manufacturers in exchange for used brass.

Avoid military surplus or contract overrun deals unless someone you know&trust recommends it.

For serious matters: self-defense ammunition ballistics tests

Tips:
  1. avoid shootouts ;)
  2. get more mags
  3. practice, frequently
  4. after choosing a weapon, learn it
    • know how to field strip, clean and lubricate it
    • know how to detail strip it
    • know what small parts are likely to wear or break
    • look into spare parts kits
CZ75s are excellent pistols.

i'll probably go with cheapest i can find until i get to the point where i can shoot tight groups, lol. but i will try a few boxes of 124grain during break in. the ones ive shot the most of are federal american eagle, probably stick with that?

For just regular plinking which is 99% of what I do with my handguns I’ve found the Winchester white box’s from Walmart/academy to be just fine. Monarch will probably be the cheapest if you go to a big box store but I’d pay the extra couple of bucks for something else. Ive got a browning hi-power, S&W pro series 686 .357 and a browning buckmark .22. I love them all but the revolver will go to my grave with me.

For range practice, I too go with the cheapest/best sale price per case of USA MANUFACTURED brands which are brass cased, boxer primed (reloadable) ammo loaded in new cases.

I add Sellier & Bellot (Czech Republic) and Prvi Partizan (Serbia) to the "list of usual suspects" USA manufacturers, I have used plenty of both (the USA distributor is located near me, often has some of the best prices).

GECO or RWS (Germany) are good as well, but rarely the cheapest around here.

I will not buy any ammo made by Armscor (Phillipines) or Magtech (Brazil).

I take Aguila (Mexico) on a product by product basis, they make some really good .22LR, and some not so good to awful ammo as well.

Same with PMC (South Korea) I do buy their cheaper 9mm 115gr FMJ loading, some other lines are not as good.

Last edited:
My advice for a first timer: practice the basics, starting with safety. Practice, practice, practice. Dry fire (safely). Learn trigger control. Focus on a perfect sight picture. Work on your stance and positioning. You can become a very proficient shooter with limited time on range (ie: using fewer bullets) and lots of time practicing via dry firing, working on draw/presentation, and trigger control.

hawkie - i want an ak47

that was a cool video, that dude can shoot!
my heart is set on the beretta. i've shot sig p226 and hk vp9, still i vibe better with m9. would like to try out a cz 75 at some point.

Try a .408 Lap..... best to be unseen.

so while doing some browsing, i discovered walther q5 match steel frame and i am having a hard time with it because it seems like one hell of a gun and fighting to not choose it over the m9a3. it's quite a bit more expensive but probably so worth it. it's brand new model, any of you seen one?

I like Berettas, I hated them in the beginning. After about 20 years of consistently shooting it, I love it even with a double/single action. The model you have is a step above the production 92FS. I just picked up the Langdon Tactical model and it is what the 92FS should have been from the beginning. Absolutely love to shoot it!

Like many have said (Bert2368 gave many good recommendations). Winchester white box has never done me wrong. PMC, Sellier & Bellot, and Remington have a couple primer striker problems, but usually never a problem.

Spend your money on great self-defense ammo and practice with it. Go train with a great trainer.

Modification of your handgun may have issues in court, but it's really up to you. I have my share, but typically not my carry gun.

Get a big safe (bigger than you think you'll need) and anchor it down. Then get a good rifle, magazines, and ammo for them all.

My favorites (price: low-high, varies): CZ, Glock, S&W, Sig, Nighthawk, Wilson...

temporary insanity averted, sticking with the beretta :D maybe the walther will be my second gun purchase, the sickness is real, already thinking of my 2nd before i even have a 1st. i also have $300 sitting in shopping cart full of ammo just waiting for me to click check out.

My advice for a first timer: practice the basics, starting with safety. Practice, practice, practice. Dry fire (safely). Learn trigger control. Focus on a perfect sight picture. Work on your stance and positioning. You can become a very proficient shooter with limited time on range (ie: using fewer bullets) and lots of time practicing via dry firing, working on draw/presentation, and trigger control.
i never even thought to practice via dry fire, thanks i will definitely do that.

As said above, "Train with a great trainer",also take classes, get a cwp and a good conceal holster.

so while doing some browsing, i discovered walther q5 match steel frame and i am having a hard time with it because it seems like one hell of a gun and fighting to not choose it over the m9a3. it's quite a bit more expensive but probably so worth it. it's brand new model, any of you seen one?

If you have the budget, and you want to get into competition? Buy the M5 later. Me, I am holding out for the .45 version???

Starting with a purpose built target rig like the steel M5 would be like taking your driver's education practice in a Ferrari.

Back