what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, pay for some instruction. CCW (16 hours in IL, not sure about FL) is a great start and pretty cheap... Even if you never plan to carry.

what toolkits/ brands do you recommend for drivers and bits?

anything i'm missing?

An instructor?

If you ask to borrow tools frm the management at a range, they're not likely to loan them out- They have lost too many tools that way already.

So!

Very basic tools to bring to the range, allen/torx/mini & regular screw drivers for the inevitable loose grip/sight/compensator/& etc. screws or sight adjustments. Possibly add a small soft hammer and a brass punch to these.

If you want to be ready for doing ANYTHING in this line, and doing it right? Get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C63M7O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

(Using "close enough to right size" drivers on gun screws BUGGERS the heads, it is similar in chumpitude to, say, cutting something with a good knife on top of a cinder block because you were in a hurry- Guaranteed to F*** it up. Get a broad set of gunsmithing bits BEFORE you need them)

And ALWAYS bring!

A HARDWOOD DOWEL, NARROWER THAN BORE AND LONG ENOUGH TO POP A STUCK CASE OUT OF THE CHAMBER FROM MUZZLE. I don't go to the range or my deer stand without something that can clear a stuck case or snow/mud/whatever out of the bore. Sometimes a bore snake just won't cut it.

For precision tools I like Wiha or Wera, but a lot of great choices.

ive always been a self taught kind of person with my hobbies, not about to change that up now, hehe. so besides a wooden dowel (a link please to one on amazon maybe?) what other must haves?

Call a wood workers store or a home improvement store for cheap hRdwood dowels in your neighborhood? What I did.

A nylon or PTFE rod works well too, could be better against hammering or other hard knocks. But more expensive when someone "borrows" it permanently. I have a brass rod for .22/ .223, dowels that thin are not very strong. Brass rod came from "discount metals".

If you need lubrication in a dusty/sandy environment, this stuff is a pretty good "dry" lube.

If you end up doing two gun or three gun competition in a sandy area, this stuff is worth having. Good for pocket knife bearings too, nice slick open & close yet the lint and dirt don't stick in the works.

You HAVE to put it on thin and then let it dry for a day before it will behave as designed, lubed but not having dust and grit stick to your gun as they will to an oily gun- Fresh, it's just another wet lube.

20190131_133047.jpg

20190131_132815.jpg

20190131_133136.jpg

I'm sure it causes cancer in California.

This a minor thing but as far as a range bag goes I like using an old laptop backpack. Padded, doesn’t pull any attention, enough room for 1-3 guns and holds everything I need for a range day. Granted if I bring all 3 it’s stuffed to the brim just b/c of ammo.

This a minor thing but as far as a range bag goes I like using an old laptop backpack. Padded, doesn’t pull any attention, enough room for 1-3 guns and holds everything I need for a range day. Granted if I bring all 3 it’s stuffed to the brim just b/c of ammo.
In this day and age,that isn't a bad idea.

So, I sold one of my knives to put towards this new hobby, rabbit hole has won.

I need to start saving for my second gun even though I haven't even received my first one yet.. eyeing a les baer premier ii. They're pretty ugly but all the reports of how awesome they shoot is too good to ignore. I like that they're deemed the 'workhorse' of the gun world.

So, I sold one of my knives to put towards this new hobby, rabbit hole has won.

I need to start saving for my second gun even though I haven't even received my first one yet.. eyeing a les baer premier ii. They're pretty ugly but all the reports of how awesome they shoot is too good to ignore. I like that they're deemed the 'workhorse' of the gun world.
Well,Les can sure help you out with a premier II. When I bought mine,he had many options for that particular pistol so you can order anyway you wanted it.They are built really tight though and it does take a bit of grip and strength to pull the slide back,but then,that could be why they shoot so well.He has other options besides the Primere II but I believe it was the flagship of his offerings back then.The man is good,there is no question about that.

Well,Les can sure help you out with a premier II. When I bought mine,he had many options for that particular pistol so you can order anyway you wanted it.They are built really tight though and it does take a bit of grip and strength to pull the slide back,but then,that could be why they shoot so well.He has other options besides the Primere II but I believe it was the flagship of his offerings back then.The man is good,there is no question about that.

They are super tight when new. So much so that you might think it is broken. The recommendation is to shoot at least 1000 rounds before first cleaning 2000 is better. Then they are still tight, but not hard to pull the slide. Funny thing is that you'd think that being so tight they would be unreliable, but they are very reliable, more so than many other 1911 that are not as tight, very odd. Also take a look at custom carry.

Of course if you think Les Baer is ugly, you should not be allowed to buy one and should be flogged instead.

With all that don't let the craziness take you shoot your trojan for a bit, it is an excellent gun.

They are super tight when new. So much so that you might think it is broken. The recommendation is to shoot at least 1000 rounds before first cleaning 2000 is better. Then they are still tight, but not hard to pull the slide. Funny thing is that you'd think that being so tight they would be unreliable, but they are very reliable, more so than many other 1911 that are not as tight, very odd. Also take a look at custom carry.

Of course if you think Les Baer is ugly, you should not be allowed to buy one and should be flogged instead.

With all that don't let the craziness take you shoot your trojan for a bit, it is an excellent gun.
Lol,glad you called him on the ugly part.I was trying to get the boys together for a little trip to Florida.
Yep,even with reduced loads, ( think 3.5 Bullseye ),it functioned flawlessly.It does loosen up some but it sure takes a good bit of time getting there.After the Baer,when I pulled the slide back on my Gold Cup,I thought it was broke.lol

Any one have a recommendation for a 22 caliber target hand gun? Looking for user friendly easy to break down & clean.

I learned to shoot when I was a kid with a 22 rifle no scope just sites. Shooting squirrels in the pecan trees. Nailed some rabbits too.

When came to Hawaii at 19 worked charter boats with retired HPD officer. His son was HPD we went to Koko Head Crater to shoot with their service side arms. I out scored both of them. Now I need glasses to see down field wonder if I can still hit targets. Also what are good 22 ammo for paper targets?

Any one have a recommendation for a 22 caliber target hand gun? Looking for user friendly easy to break down & clean.

I learned to shoot when I was a kid with a 22 rifle no scope just sites. Shooting squirrels in the pecan trees. Nailed some rabbits too.

When came to Hawaii at 19 worked charter boats with retired HPD officer. His son was HPD we went to Koko Head Crater to shoot with their service side arms. I out scored both of them. Now I need glasses to see down field wonder if I can still hit targets. Also what are good 22 ammo for paper targets?
I have this one and I love it but it is discontinued now but Browning seems to have some sweet offerings.Other then that,maybe think about a Ruger MK IV.
https://www.browning.com/products/f...istols/discontinued/buck-mark-55-field-2.html
https://ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/models.html

Second the suggestion on one of the .22 Ruger Mk.(whichever) target pistol variants. TONS of variants and lots of aftermarket goodies if you want to customize one to your taste.

I shot the Gov't. Mk. I in ROTC, then bought a bull barreled Mk. II target as soon as I was 21.

I like shooting the older Ruger variants. However, take down on newer Rugers IS easier than the old ones with the of back of grip take down lever/hammer spring assembly was. Broke fingernails on that when I couldn't find a paperclip, then swore while trying to get the thing properly situated on re-assembly.

Inherited dad's Hi Standard Olympic Match .22 and foolishly sold the Mark II.

The 1950s Hi Standard is nice but even finding a working aftermarket magazine which functions reliably it is a trial, I dread the day I need other parts. Take down for cleaning is easy, push one button on the front of frame and the barrel & slide come right off.

Take down on the older Ruger Marks was really a big pain until I finally figured it out and then after only a few tries doing it right,I found it to be pretty easy.Now it doesn't take much thought but up until it becomes second nature it will make you say a very bad word.

I've got a Mark IV Competition that I like very much. Considering adding a 22/45 for ease of mounting an optic. I have a Viper Venom on my FNH FX45 Tactical and a Holosun 510 on my CMMG Banshee. Probably do another Venom on the 22/45 because of the size difference.

Back