what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
were I am at the moment is a pain to sell guns, since licenses are restricted and I have to go thru a licensed gun shop. 3 Kalashnikov, 1 taurus 9mm, 12 HK p7, 4 357 mag short and long revolvers, 1 Casul, 3 Calico 9mm, benelli shotgun, 50 cal desert eagle, a couple of ppk/s germany, and some sw.

HK quit making them so price is going up. If I could find 12 I’d buy them too. If I had the cash.

Bloody hell. $2,000 each STARTING BID for used P7 pistols in a lot of 9?!

These appeare to be from the same vintage as the P7 ex German police guns CDNN sold for around $600 to $700 some years back.

Nickel P7 is my unicorn!!

The members of the old P7 forum worked up some good procedures for hard chrome or electroless Nickel on what were originally blued P7s. They were intended to be carry guns, but blued steel and sweat don't get on well.

I was on a dive trip with a retired NJ state police officer, a pleasant and relaxed man- until I asked him about his departments use of the P7.

According to him, they loved the pistol. During the time it was the department's standard issue side arm, not ONE of the NJ officers carrying a P7 was shot with their own pistol by a crimininal- They might lose them, but the people who got hold of them couldn't figure out how the gun ran. (in USA, about 50% of all police who get shot are shot with THEIR OWN firearm- Glocks without any manual safety? Point and press, kaboom.).

Then the state of NJ decided to go with cheaper plastic pistols, refused to allow officers to purchase their old P7 duty pistols, collected all those nice steel P7s and DESTROYED THEM.

Because, politics.

Last edited:
985859EC-DF1D-45E4-AD50-A03295B17254.jpeg
Nickel P7 is my unicorn!!
Here’s mine! I’ve got at least a dozen hand guns, and this is my favorite by a wide margin.

Ken

whats the appeal of these as a user?
the grip-safety aspect, or something else?

They are very accurate and easy to shoot accurately. Triggers are very good, and they can be carried with a round in the chamber safely due to the grip safety. They heat up a lot when shot a lot in a short period of time.

Ken, I'm jealous!
Was able to get one a few years ago from HKParts. These were the German police ones and some had been nickel plated prior to sale. Not sure how much it had been used, but I couldn't tell it from new. I believe he was selling them for less than $800 for the nickel, $700 for blue. Should have bought a few more.

Ken

whats the appeal of these as a user?
the grip-safety aspect, or something else?

They have a couple of good points deriving from the design and ergonomics- Let's start with accuracy?

Mechanical potential for accuracy: The barrel is FIXED to the frame, unusual in a delayed blowback pistol (or any reasonably light weight pistol over about .380/9mm short energy levels).

No inaccuracy due to sloppy, loose barrel lockup as happens with the various tilting, rotating or roller locking barrel systems- Which MUST have sufficient looseness to unlock properly even when dirty or very cold.

Attempts to tighten up moving barrel locking systems for better accuracy often lead to failures to cycle unless clean, well lubed and fired only in a "shirtsleeve environment". Tightened working parts clearances may lead to ammunition sensitivity, possibly requiring one to install different springs to tune a pistol for different loads. This may be an acceptable tradeoff in a match pistol if you like to tinker but it can get you killed in a carry pistol.

Very little "muzzle flip", a potential for quicker, more accurate follow up shots: The bore axis is very low, closer to in line with your arm than (most) delayed blowback designs which keep recoil springs, disconnecting links & etc. BELOW the barrel and require the breech to drop during recoil as in the Browning system and variants, the sights are also lower compared to this family of pistols.

Cocking lever encourages a uniform grip: You HAVE to hold that lever in, the force required keeps you from "limp wristing" or otherwise being as sloppy with your grip as can easily happen with other styles. Even a 1911 style grip safety won't do this to the extent the squeeze cocker does.

Light trigger: Since you need to squeeze the grip pretty firmly to **** the striker and hold it in at all times to KEEP it cocked, the trigger pull can be quite light yet still "drop safe" compared to some designs that stay cocked when dropped and have the potential to fire when they hit the ground. For example, the infamous NYPD Glock speced for a 16lb. + trigger pull?

A uniform trigger pull whether first or any succeeding shot and a really nice, short trigger reset.

----------

Safety-

Untrained people who take your gun away from you or get unauthorized access have regularly been shown to be unlikely to shoot (you?) with it immediately afterwards- The manual of arms is not difficult to learn but the cocking lever actuation is unique. As mentioned, a very good thing in a carry pistol.

Also as mentioned, once it leaves your hand, it's decocked in a fraction of a second. Doesn't get more "drop safe" than that.

Much less likely to have a negligent discharge- Two positive actions required to fire from the draw ALWAYS, no leaving this pistol holstered and cocked but not locked.

Plenty of people have got a bullet stripe down their leg or worse from the discharge of a holstered, cocked pistol. The P7 is not prone to this type of negligent discharge yet no extra time or non intuitive finger motions are required to bring the pistol from holstered and uncocked to cocked and ready to fire, only a firmer grip is initily required than most other pistols.

After achieving cocked status, the grip force required to maintain pistol cocked is enough less than initial cocking force not to be fatigueing, but not so much less that you don't have to consciously apply it.

------

This pistol was intended to be as carry safe as possible yet allow the users to get off a few ACCURATE shots as QUICKLY as possible. Design goal was achieved.

It is a cary pistol designed for use where accidental discharge or losing control of the weapon are considered to be a greater danger than encounters with multiple armed opponents/other situations requiring one to expend more than one or two magazines.

The P7 was never intended to be used in a pitched battle. It is not a target pistol for long strings of fire, as noted, the gas delay system HEATS UP after a couple of magazines. After several hundred shots with dirty ammo, the gas cylinder will need cleaning which requires a field strip and a scraper tool or, in a pinch, a .270 cal. wire brush.

It is what it is:

"If one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he sould carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the H&K P7."
- Jeff Cooper

I wish this system were available in .45ACP but H&K never got past the protype on that caliber.

I have heard that the .45 ACP prototype had a HYDRAULIC BUFFER like an artillery piece, the required ratio beteen gas cylinder and barrel diameters didn't allow a small enough gas cylinder design.

20190207_130301.jpg

Last edited:
interesting. sounds useful for those who really need it.

Last edited:
I was using coworkers .22 today, this gun is super funView attachment 48362

There was this kid from down the road in my class at high school, not a rocket scientist by any means.

Dennis was known for wrecking pickup trucks by swerving while TRYING to hit racoons on back roads late at night, shooting his own dog right between the eyes with a .22 (dog survived but lost its sense of smell) accidentally while coon hunting when the coon was succeeding at drowning his dog, then blowing a couple of the same dog's toes off in a repeat of the previous d9g drowning escapade- and myriad other vehicular, firearm and hound related screwups.

But Dennis could SHOOT with a Ruger .22 pistol. He had the blued steel version of that Ruger Mk. (probably II back then) with the long pencil barreland I saw him get hits on small targets with it at 100 yards and more with FACTORY IRON SIGHTS.

Bill Ruger and Mr. Sturm had a pretty darned good .22 pistol design if 'ol Dennis (this kid had a head shaped like an old fashioned Mercury outboard power unit) could do what I saw him do with one.

I love my Buckmark .22 pistol, was reluctant to get it for a while because I had a .22 rifle but it really is fun as hell. I’ve got a Leupold red dot on it and a suppressor on the way that will be released in 6 months hopefully. My buddy has a Ruger MK IV 22/45, I preferred the look of the Buckmark. Cant go wrong with either of them.

Went to the range and I'm totally screwed, fell completely in love with this 1911!! The trigger was best part, crisp crisp crisp no slop. I may need to get a year membership to the range cause I plan on dumping all my hobby budget into ammo. Lol

Got carried away and did bunch of rapid fires, hehe.

20190219_141103~2.jpg
20190219_201807_HDR.jpg

Consider a shotgun and some skeet with an area to sling with a friend or two. It’ll definitely scratch the shooting itch and much cheaper too. Not to mention you can bring a cooler to a field, not that you’d drink anything other than soda water...

Been waiting for an update from you Panda.Glad you are enjoying that STI. That girl looks like a nice date.

Back