what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I did I'd want to use this
146036143683-620x.jpg

I’m shooting my CZ Shadow 2 that’s been milled for a red dot in USPSA carry optics.

new agenda, i want to swap out the sights on my 1911. currently has adjustable black rear and thin fiber optic red front. ive come to realization i shoot better with a 3 dot sight because i was shooting more accurately with my buddy's HK with tritium sights which should not be the case lol. i am considering ed brown fixed rear and gold bead front. https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...sight-prod70884.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911&psize=96
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...d-front-sight-prod109174.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911

any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
Not sure you got an answer to your question. The Ed Brown sights are good value, but their gold bead is not quite as bright as the Wilson Combat, which is more $. I do like the WC Battlesights for the rear. I work on 1911’s and tend to buy directly from NovakSights.com, as old Wayne was the source for a lot of the modern dovetail designs. Their gold beads are solid and you can spec out the exact height, etc. If you’re looking for an edgier gold bead, I find the Ted Yost sights, which John Harrison sells, to be outstanding for sight acquisition, particularly for old eyes.

would a gunsmith be able to fit a battlesight onto my STI even though it's cut for bomar style? and same for the front wilson gold bead. how do i know what the correct size to order is??

I don’t have a lot of experience on STI, but I’m pretty sure their front sight is a Heine dovetail. If that’s the case, Yes on the front as a .300” Heine dovetail can be widened to a .330 Novak. However, I believe some Wilson Combat front sights are Heine dovetails, so your first option might be the best and simplest way to go.

As for rear sights, not so much. The Bomar cut is narrower (and, of course, it’s always easier to remove metal than to add it back), but I believe the back end of the sight is cut out as well- so you’d have an ugly gap at the rear of the slide. Before you went down any road like that, I’d give STI a call and tell them what you’re trying to do. They’ve got some really good folks in their custom shop. Particularly since I’m not at home, I’m faking some of my answers, but their smiths could answer straight off the top of their heads.

The Delta Elite has been getting a bunch of my attention recently... I've considered putting modern style sights on her...
Good call. You’d need to fill in the hole where the current front sight is staked. My suggestion would be to decide if there’s anything else you want to do, particularly to the slide, and get it done all at once.

Would the front dovetail not go right over the hole and cover it?
Yes ... ish. If you look down the front of the disassembled slide, it might feel like a hack. If you’re going to re-blue the slide after machining, might as well just fill in the hole with a TIG weld. If you’re going to go Rambo, then sure - it wouldn’t impair the functionality.

so sti told me to contact dawson precision. dawson said they will do the work but to call them first to discuss how the gun shoots for me. yay!!

@Cloudsmoker sti told me my front sight is a height of .180 is it safe to assume i should order the wilson gold bead in .180 as well? or is switching from adjustable bomar to wilson battlesight going to alter things a bit?

so sti told me to contact dawson precision. dawson said they will do the work but to call them first to discuss how the gun shoots for me. yay!!

@Cloudsmoker sti told me my front sight is a height of .180 is it safe to assume i should order the wilson gold bead in .180 as well? or is switching from adjustable bomar to wilson battlesight going to alter things a bit?

Well, first of all, Dawson is solid. I learned a lot about sight work from watching Dave’s videos, and they’re known for adapting their replacement sights to different dovetails and dimensions. Plus, they’re just a stone’s throw from STI, both north of Austin.

Secondly, as the guys at STI asked, how does it shoot? Are you happy with your vertical groupings? If so, yeah the WC .180” (which btw is the most standard spec) is all you need. If your groupings are high, consider a shorter sight, etc,. Generally speaking, within reason of course, the rear sight is not going to affect your location - it’s more about sight acquisition. For me, the rear sight is all about giving you a sight picture that you like, can acquire quickly and are comfortable focusing on the front sight as the target or sight picture moves. There’s generally a small trade off between location accuracy and sight acquisition speed (for self defense, think larger cutout - for accuracy shooting, maybe smaller). Again, switching from a Bomar to a Novak style cutout sounds like a problem, but the Dawson folks can talk you through that. And if you’re primarily thinking function over form, there are excellent rear sights with cutouts similar to the WC Battlesight that come with a Bomar cutout configuration.

Alternatively, bring your slide down to Dallas. Heck, the airports gotta be empty these days. I’ll put some meat on the smoker and well have time to swap out your sights, and sharpen some knives, before dinner. And, seriously, happy to get on a call with you and/or Dawson Precision if I can be of assistance.

I have been a Glock Gen 5 guy for a while, tried a STI 2011 the other day, love the trigger however no slide release on the right side of the gun (so left thumb don’t work) I want to see if there is any possible upgrade options out on the market that I can swap out for.

so harrison rear and wilson front, seems to be sorted out and dawson will do the work. thanks for your help!! and if im ever in dallas i will hit you up.
I hope you will. With apologies for beating a dead horse, you could also buy the WC front sight and ship it and your slide to John Harrison to install. John is an elite gun builder who’s particularly manic in his approach to centering the sights on the slide relative to the barrel (vs exterior slide) position. If he’s available to turn it around, it might save you at least one shipping charge. Stay safe.

Welp, I just ponied up and bought the new staccato XC. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. I was a little hesitant to get another sti after getting rid of my two tactical’s. Glad I did though. Fit and finish is still top notch on them. Range report as soon as my local outdoor range is opened back up.

Welp, I just ponied up and bought the new staccato XC. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. I was a little hesitant to get another sti after getting rid of my two tactical’s. Glad I did though. Fit and finish is still top notch on them. Range report as soon as my local outdoor range is opened back up.
Oh YES! That is awesome, I'm so excited to hear about it. I was going to go look at an XC this week or next. I need a report by then! For $4k, I hope that it is a super gun. Curious as to whether you think it is more tactical or 3-gun oriented. Did you put optics on it?

It’s definitely not 3gun oriented just from the feel of it. Definitely more of a staccato P carry on steroids. Trigger is definitely more geared towards carry, I would say it’s a good 3-3.5lbs. Super clean like you’d expect but it’s heavier than their 3 gun triggers.

I will be putting a Leupold DPP on it when it comes in, in the next few days.

It’s definitely not 3gun oriented just from the feel of it. Definitely more of a staccato P carry on steroids. Trigger is definitely more geared towards carry, I would say it’s a good 3-3.5lbs. Super clean like you’d expect but it’s heavier than their 3 gun triggers.

I will be putting a Leupold DPP on it when it comes in, in the next few days.
Awsome. I was hoping it didn't have the old DVC-3 trigger at 2.5lbs. That's too light for most regular shooting in my view, particularly tactical work. I love the DPP, so can't wait to hear about how you like it. The gun looks like a boss. Post photos when you can.

Here’s some pics right out the box. Comes with 3x 21rd mags. It’s the least they can do with the price tag lol.

Attachments

• 004E94E3-E746-4DD9-8572-A4475A2125A6.jpeg
    004E94E3-E746-4DD9-8572-A4475A2125A6.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 4820C402-BAD5-4FAD-8835-2AFB22EC2B1E.jpeg
    4820C402-BAD5-4FAD-8835-2AFB22EC2B1E.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 35
  • B58C56D9-BFB4-4A81-A3EF-E56E3CB0028F.jpeg
    B58C56D9-BFB4-4A81-A3EF-E56E3CB0028F.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DB240904-FFA1-4E3A-8B13-5BA086EEAE2E.jpeg
    DB240904-FFA1-4E3A-8B13-5BA086EEAE2E.jpeg