what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Travis petosa - curious to know if you've broken in that Staccato XC more. I keep thinking about getting one but am on the fence. Did the comp loosen up? Any issues?

It loosened up a bit. I went to the range yesterday and sighted in the DPP on it. The put around 500 more through it. It now feels like it rides on glass out of lockup but it’s still a little tight when initially racking it. I think it’s just gonna take another 500 or so through it to break in.

no!! 😱
what makes you say that?

it's very difficult to answer this without getting into politics, which is ironic, because it's not about the actual politics, it's about the perception of politics.

but yes I would expect there to be some upward pressure on ammunition prices, especially on common rounds.

I agree - ammo prices are not going down anytime soon. The 2020 shortage started because of primer manufacturing pressures created by CV-19 (only three major manufacturers of primers in the world, none in the US) but escalated because of other issues. Most of what I hear indicates that ammo prices are 18 months from ~potentially~ coming back down, and that is based on current backlogs at the major ammunition manufacturers. There is some price point (say $1/round for 9mm) that we are approaching that I believe will curb general shooter demand (right now demand great outpaces supply) but I don't think we'll see old ammo prices for a long, long time.

I agree - ammo prices are not going down anytime soon. The 2020 shortage started because of primer manufacturing pressures created by CV-19 (only three major manufacturers of primers in the world, none in the US) but escalated because of other issues. Most of what I hear indicates that ammo prices are 18 months from ~potentially~ coming back down, and that is based on current backlogs at the major ammunition manufacturers. There is some price point (say $1/round for 9mm) that we are approaching that I believe will curb general shooter demand (right now demand great outpaces supply) but I don't think we'll see old ammo prices for a long, long time.
this would mean no more range days for me. guess I'll have to start loading my own soon.

i've decided to get a beretta m9a3 with tax money. will be first time owning a gun although i've shot plenty times before. any tips/good-to-knows/etc as a first time gun owner? such as maintenance, potential mods and such..

so ammo is going to get expensive fast, where should i buy in bulk? any specific rounds you recommend? looking for economy but reliable.
Wilson Combat CQB Elite
Springfield Armory TRP
Sig Sauer P320

No ammo right now, and I refuse to pay the awful prices being charged.

Totally agree. You would need years and years of low demand on guns and ammo. This will require years of sociopolitical environment where people didn't feel like they needed any. Here in CA you can't even buy any common guns or ammo.

Totally agree. You would need years and years of low demand on guns and ammo. This will require years of sociopolitical environment where people didn't feel like they needed any. Here in CA you can't even buy any common guns or ammo.

perfectly stated.

the statistical need for guns for self defense or hunting is at an all-time low yet perception is probably higher than any time in my lifetime.

really ruining it for the folks who just like it as a hobby.

this would mean no more range days for me. guess I'll have to start loading my own soon.

Shell casings we got for free at shooting range aimed for Japanese tourist.

That means powder, projectile, primer caps paid for at the time far cheaper.

Also for target shooting don't need full loads.
Rare but we did have a few miss fires.

My home protection have expensive Remington high performance jacket 357 Magnum rounds.

it's very difficult to answer this without getting into politics, which is ironic, because it's not about the actual politics, it's about the perception of politics.

but yes I would expect there to be some upward pressure on ammunition prices, especially on common rounds.

I hope this is viewed as a poli sci statement and not as a political statement: when a certain party in the US gets voted into power, certain manufacturers, politicians, media organizations, and non-profit associations like to push the narrative that certain rights are in jeopardy -- hence a demand spike that drives up prices considerably. It's all a game.

Yes and a spike in buying guns. Tulsi (Democrat) on Fox U tube short video on danger of Adam Shifts actions against civil liberties. Intelligence on half the country that voted for Trump.

Yes and a spike in buying guns. Tulsi (Democrat) on Fox U tube short video on danger of Adam Shifts actions against civil liberties. Intelligence on half the country that voted for Trump.

It’s silly, really. Gun and ammo sales spiked when Obama got elected. They spike after every mass shooting. They spike when a democrat is leading in the polls.

Nothing really every happened.

At some point you MIGHT see stricter background checks. But are you really worried about that? If you don’t have any dirt on your record you can still buy the gun(s). If You’re a convicted felon or someone with mental health issues you might not. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Full disclosure: Not American, but lived there for a long time. I wanted to buy a gun but wasn’t allowed to (legal resident, but it didn’t matter).

btw legit question do any of you actually like going to the range?

I despise it; too many places now have zero rule enforcement and these days it seems like everyone is way too keen to talk (literally insane) politics when I just want shoot. IMO it's much better to find a friend with a big property. probably the only thing I actually like about living in Texas (well that and 80mph speed limits are almost high enough).

strange though most of the interest always seems to be in handguns.

btw legit question do any of you actually like going to the range?

I despise it; too many places now have zero rule enforcement and these days it seems like everyone is way too keen to talk (literally insane) politics when I just want shoot. IMO it's much better to find a friend with a big property. probably the only thing I actually like about living in Texas (well that and 80mph speed limits are almost high enough).

strange though most of the interest always seems to be in handguns.

A friend with rural property is the dream but there are still indoor ranges that take safety very seriously. Just trust your gut when you walk in the door.

Of coarse all for strict bagckround checks. Mental illness so hard to predict. Only after the fact in most cases.

Think many have come across persons they think maybe dangerous.

Thee is a cz 22 Kadet kit that fits on cz 75 as well as some other models. At one point you could buy it with a frame, not sure now.

How did Australian Gov. get people to turn in guns is it working? Did crime go down?

I can't see Americans giving up their guns. When I was a kid in Virginia people had gun racks in their pickup trucks. My father had revolver, shotgun, rifles. Was shooting .22 as a kid.

I want a full size steel frame.
Ruger Mark IV Lots of models. I've got a Mark IV Competition with a red dot. Super accurate, easy to clean.

1611581452672.png

How did Australian Gov. get people to turn in guns is it working? Did crime go down?

I can't see Americans giving up their guns. When I was a kid in Virginia people had gun racks in their pickup trucks. My father had revolver, shotgun, rifles. Was shooting .22 as a kid.
I can give you a Canadian perspective. There really is no gun culture here. It is quite difficult to own a hand gun legally in Canada. And most Canadians are fine with that. But because of our proximity to the US, guns enter illegally all the time. Gun violence, mostly gang related, has become a problem in big cities like Toronto were I live. My question to you is this: do Americans like guns because everyone else has them, so they feel safer or do they like guns like I like kitchen knives?

Latest posts

Back