What are your favorite rums or other sugarcane-spirits?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like pretty well any of the El Dorado bottlings for sipping. For cocktails (Pina Colada,, Cuba Libre, etcI I'm OK with Bacardi Gold or Bacardi Superior.

As I write this, I'm amazed that I've never tried a Mojito. I just need some fresh mint to muddle.

Speaking of muddlers and sugar-cane, that reminds me,,,, I bought a bottle of Cachaca quite a while back, and I've yet to mix a Caipirinha. (Anthony Bourdain's favourite cocktail)

Last edited:
I will have to look up a Caipirinha but Cachaca mixed with sugar 1 whole lime, juiced and squeezed rind thrown in topped with sprite makes a great summer drink. I use a shot of Cachaca over ice to start with in an old fashion glass.

Caipirinha is the drink I posted above. I really like them with grilled meat in the summer.

PS
I use white sugar not brown sugar. And it is important to use really good limes. The drink is about limes.

Last edited:
Diplomatico Reserve is a favorite.

I liked the Paranubes Oaxacan Agricole, but its profile is a little eccentric: sweet/savory tomato aroma, green peppercorn. I would love to try more agricoles.

currently drinking Dr. Bird. I remember using this to soak raisins in a French toast special I was running, to good effect. Its a lovely funk bomb.

Lets see, for white, Captain Morgan, the glass bottled stuff, the plastic bottled stuff tastes different, I think anyways. Spiced, Sailor Jerry, which is also probably the best value priced rum out there. Eldorado 12 is an excellent aged rum. Newfy Screech is alright, but it's dark dark, and and I did have this Cuban stuff some time ago, "Ron Cubay" that I really liked. I'm generally a rum fan though, others may have more discerning tastes. I can't say I'm nuts about Bacardi's offerings, though I have been meaning to try their 151. I distilled my own a couple of times, that was really good, it took some experimentation to get it dialed in between the molasses addition and the toasted oak, but it was well worth it.

Not strictly a rum, but cachaca is fantastic and I love devouring caipirinhas.

it seems like i need a refill 😅
I wanna try out next the A.H.Riise Danish Navy Rum instead of the Gold Medal. I'm curious 🧐

The Baron Samedi was a birthday gift. It's a spiced Rum like Captain Morgan but not as sweet as the captain. A cheap one but it's pretty okay 👍 it's also a good option for mixing with coke.

PXL_20220502_155328499.jpg

it seems like i need a refill 😅
I wanna try out next the A.H.Riise Danish Navy Rum instead of the Gold Medal. I'm curious 🧐

The Baron Samedi was a birthday gift. It's a spiced Rum like Captain Morgan but not as sweet as the captain. A cheap one but it's pretty okay 👍 it's also a good option for mixing with coke.

View attachment 177753
How do you typically drink them?

Lets see, for white, Captain Morgan, the glass bottled stuff, the plastic bottled stuff tastes different, I think anyways. Spiced, Sailor Jerry, which is also probably the best value priced rum out there. Eldorado 12 is an excellent aged rum. Newfy Screech is alright, but it's dark dark, and and I did have this Cuban stuff some time ago, "Ron Cubay" that I really liked. I'm generally a rum fan though, others may have more discerning tastes. I can't say I'm nuts about Bacardi's offerings, though I have been meaning to try their 151. I distilled my own a couple of times, that was really good, it took some experimentation to get it dialed in between the molasses addition and the toasted oak, but it was well worth it.
How do you most often use the 151 rums?

The Riise rums are all sweeter than some other higher-end rums, sweeter than Zacapa 23. I have always liked (and still do) Zacapa 23, but for the past year I enjoyed so many Riise rums more than Zacapa. Riise has rums which spent quite some time in Sauternes (sweet wine) barrels, which gives an incredible taste. And then I once had a 25y Ron Malecon which was terrific, too, just a hint of orange zest…

Was lucky enough to get a pour of Caroni distilled in 1994 last night. For those who don’t know, this legendary Trinidadian distillery closed in 2002 with the last bottling released in 2019. Aged wholly in the tropics and a very heavy estery style. Truly transcendent stuff - packed with the flavors of grilled fermented fruits, vanilla and pastry influence from the time in the barrel, super thick and viscous on the tongue. The classic salinity, anise, and medicinal notes you might find in an Islay scotch. Easily a top 5 spirit ever for me.

hell yeah.

lightning in a bottle.

lately I have been making all kinds of tiki stuff (grenadine for rum punch, etc) since I have recently acquired some new bottles.

honestly, I am not writing off tiki drinks, but on the whole, they do strike me as the kind of drinks one makes when they don't like, uh, alcohol.

(sidebar: too much stuff? perhaps im a simple person.)

anywho, after combing Beachbum Barrys' recipes I found a trend: white grapefruit with lime and cinnamon syrup.

so, I found some nice white grapefruit at the farmers market, and made a canela/piloncillo syrup.

my first attempt was Doorlys 12, a big ice cube, squeeze of lime, squeeze of syrup, 1/4 white grapefruit, and a hefty floater of aged overproof Hampdens.

I couldn't really give you an accurate ratio, but let's just say it was mostly booze.

It was great!

the Barbados is discreet, but sets the stage for the overproof to shine.

next time I make this, I'll try it with all overproof.

I have my eyes on Hamiltons' False Idol 151 blend, for this kind of shenanigans.

I picked up a bottle of 8 year old Ak Zanj, on a lark.

Haitian agricole, cognac barrels.

its a little rough for the $$ but I like the profile.

it's a little hot but I don't mind. there is a distinct edge of burnt caramel right off the top, followed by a hefty whiff of vanilla, some cola tones, a gesture in the direction of red fruits (currants? plum?) on the way to the finish... and something about the way this whole ride ties together, reminds me of southern comfort. in a good way.

my better half made a daiquiri with some homemade grenadine+ginger, and it sang.

Attachments

• SanZanjPurple_400x_90400ab2-909f-4654-b1ba-e70d16194ff4.jpg
    SanZanjPurple_400x_90400ab2-909f-4654-b1ba-e70d16194ff4.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back