What are your favorite silicon carbide stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Qapla'

Reaction score
What are your favorite silicon carbide stones?

Legion74

Reaction score
I have ones from Norton and Australian Abrasives, but on the whole I think I prefer AlOx India type stones.

Reaction score
The worst thing is to be reminded that you have stones you have bought, and never used. You reminded me that I bought Gritomatic 120, 600, and 1200 Sic stones, and never used them. Any experiments you'd like me to do with them? I'm now eager to put them into play.

M1k3

New Mexico prefecture #1
Reaction score
Crystolon and Sigma 240.

mojo

Reaction score
Kitiyama 8k right now

Attachments

• 90B1FCCE-AD3E-412E-B5D7-471E4ABD9651.jpeg
    90B1FCCE-AD3E-412E-B5D7-471E4ABD9651.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Qapla'

Reaction score
The worst thing is to be reminded that you have stones you have bought, and never used. You reminded me that I bought Gritomatic 120, 600, and 1200 Sic stones, and never used them. Any experiments you'd like me to do with them? I'm now eager to put them into play.

I didn't have any experiments in mind, but I'd be interested in seeing what you do with them if you do run any experiments. What were you planning on sharpening with them when you bought them?

Why you interested in silicon carbide?
To try something new, and to learn more about stones. From what I understand, all but one of my knives at this time are sharpenable with alumina stones, so this isn't an "I need stronger abrasives" situation so far.

From what I understand so far, the only SiC stone I have is the Sigma Power Select II 1000. It sees pretty much no use at the moment, as my Naniwa 800 can handle most all sharpening (and I haven't yet had to sharpen the one exception, a CPM-S30V knife; from what I read, that steel all but requires cubic boron nitride or else diamonds).

Reaction score
I didn't have any experiments in mind, but I'd be interested in seeing what you do with them if you do run any experiments. What were you planning on sharpening with them when you bought them?

To try something new, and to learn more about stones. From what I understand, all but one of my knives at this time are sharpenable with alumina stones, so this isn't an "I need stronger abrasives" situation so far.

From what I understand so far, the only SiC stone I have is the Sigma Power Select II 1000. It sees pretty much no use at the moment, as my Naniwa 800 can handle most all sharpening (and I haven't yet had to sharpen the one exception, a CPM-S30V knife; from what I read, that steel all but requires cubic boron nitride or else diamonds).
Hmm interested to see what you think. I've never tried any SiC stones from what I've heard SiC is more friable it could be kinda interesting for polishing stones.

HumbleHomeCook

Whiskey for my men. Beer for my horses.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

At 4% vanadium, S30V resides at the border between ceramics and diamond. It doesn't require CBN or diamond but lots of folks will find those abrasives faster, especially if they aren't used to higher vanadium alloys.

Norton Crystolon and the Baryonyx offerings are excellent. But these are coarse stones.

Qapla'

Reaction score
Hmm interested to see what you think. I've never tried any SiC stones from what I've heard SiC is more friable it could be kinda interesting for polishing stones.
The Sigma Power Select II 1000 is a dark-blue soaking-stone that definitely releases a lot of abrasive in use (if one uses it for "mundane" steels, one will be flushing a lot of material away). I've heard that it's good for "super-steels" where releasing more abrasive can be useful, but I have yet to try it out for such use at this time.

If you're looking for polishing stones made of SiC, I believe the Suehiro G8 8000 might fit the description of what you seek. However, I have no experience with it (my current 8k is a Naniwa Fuji, which to my knowledge is a resinoid alumina stone).

However, I currently have no way of identifying for myself what stones are made of which abrasives; it's all hearsay to/from me.

cotedupy

Reaction score
The Norton Crystolon Coarse n Fine has got to be top of the pile - it's a superb stone. I also like the SSII 1k a lot (haven't tried others in the range).

As @mojo mentioned above - many but not all Japanese synthetic stones actually mix AlOx and SiC, though it's a bit difficult to find info about what exactly different companies are using.

To be brutally honest, I doubt it matters all that much. SiC seems to be the preferred option for super low grit stones, but after that it probably isn't that noticeable. I haven't done any direct comparisons though, so could be completely wrong.