What are your favourite pieces of kitchen gear?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thermopen. So quick.

Town cutlery offset. Use it for everything. Scraping sides of blenders, deli containers, plating, etc.

Set of super fine tipped tweezers picked up at a jewelry supply store. So, so much nicer than the ****** jb prince ones.

A&D Ej-6100 scale. What I used to use at Alinea. Had to have one for myself.

Milwaukee markers. Being able to write on wet and greasy surfaces? Haven't used a sharpie since I found these pens.

Bowl scraper for picking stuff up and cleaning the board.

Here’s mine. The very humble half-sheet pan. I grabbed four at a restaurant supply house and I friggen love them. And I don’t bake. Total multi-taskers. I use them every day. I have a small plastic cutting board that fits inside of a sheet so slicing meat, it catches juices. It’s the drip pan under my Dutch oven in a braise, it’s the tray I use to carry my Mise en Place to my backyard wok burner. It’s a lid for a big stockpot. oven roast veggies! Deer meat butchering storage..the uses are endless.

it was even the “interesting backdrop“ for my most recent oyster photograph. i own four, but I keep reaching for the two most stained ones. Haha.

View attachment 78359View attachment 78360

Im with you on the sheer trays. I have 4 ea of varying sizes. Use them all the time for mis.

Attachments

• 20201026_142916.jpg
    20201026_142916.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 47
Often neglected in people's thoughts (until something goes wrong): A clean, easy-to-maintain, right-sized, functional, convenient trash container.

I bought a Kenwood Chef a year and a half ago. I was initially very reluctant to buy it because the machine is large and heavy, and can easily end up forgotten in a cupboard—except for the periodic nagging guilt of having bought it and not using it. (That's what happened to a bread maker we bought many years ago. It eventually found a new home.)

I'm glad to report that I'm using the Kenwood at least once a week. It's a boon for making bread dough (and for any other kind of baking), and I bought the meat grinder and food processor attachments, which work really well and facilitate my dip and sausage-making addiction :)

IMG_2823.JPG

Oh, let's see:

This peeler - it's the most comfortable and fastest I've used. Tefal éplucheur à tomates

Thermomix - I've had one for 13 years, it's still going strong. It is how I made all the purees for my kids to eat when they were young, it will make excellent sauces and it is the best tool on the planet for hydrating advanced gelling agents and starches. I don't actually use it much anymore, but I'm always glad it's there if I need it.

v60 pourover dripper or 6 cup Chemex, using Chemex filter paper, a decent grinder, and a water pitcher with exact automatic temperature control.

I was going to paint a face on it. Pulling espresso shots with med. Roast Kona Peaberry.

Zyliss turners. Bought the green one years ago and a mouse got into the kitchen and decided to eat the end of it. Found a new one on Amazon and also saw they made a stainless one with silicone edge. The green and black ones have metal inside that makes it stiff enough to lift without bending.
F71419D6-5C6C-4342-9AAB-5A0319460AB2.jpeg
86E2CA12-BF02-400A-AD72-B78659B9E557.jpeg

7C3799E8-3542-4BFB-A26E-68B880577D4E.jpeg

My favorites are the cheap stainless quarter sheets, half sheets, and giant stainless mixing bowls. The cheaper the better. Le Creuset is nice but most of the time I'd rather just stare at mine than use it.

GIR brand silicone spatulas. They hold up so much better than any I've had in the past. Have two going on four years that look brand new still.

My $3 restaurant supply fish spatula, gets used almost every day and on way more stuff than I originally thought it would. When it eventually breaks maybe I'll get one of the nicer ones.

What's the green cyclops dude's name? :)
That is a Cafelat Robot, I have one for vacation and travel (as if that is happening now)..stellar espresso, super simple, rock solid machine!
Paul Pratt is a renowned name in the world of Espresso, he designed it after some machines from the fifties, took him a lot of work as he is a perfectionist and it shows. Almost impossible to get the espresso to wrong with this one. (provided you have a grinder up to the task)

my Faema Urania and a Mazzer Major grinder with SSP burrs to make thing work in the kitchen, after that a simple carbon Wok and 10KW propane burner, the modded Ferrari 3G Pizza oven, some Microplanes, a Debuyer Carbon frying pan, the Demeyer controlinduc non stick pan, next is the Serax porcelain dedicated to Asian cooking, a range of anatomical and surgical tweezers, a Mathieu needle holder, most missed is my Neff steam oven that we left in our previous house.

Yep I like it simple easy to clean. Pulls good shots of espresso with Kona bean.

The Niche Zero grinder was not cheap, but perfect for my use. Massive conical burr slow RPM relatively quiet. Settings from course to extra fine. Don't expect to ever have to get another grinder.

Many favourite items on KKF are ones that demand not to be dropped on the floor. This time, it's because the floor wouldn't stand a chance. :D

Back