What do people like about Newham?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
What do people like about Newham? I'm using my stainless Newham gyuto this week but can't quite articulate how I feel. It's a lovely lighter, thinner knife.

What do people like about Newham? I'm using my stainless Newham gyuto this week but can't quite articulate how I feel. It's a lovely lighter, thinner knife.
I’ve never heard of ‘Newham.’ New maker? Got pics of your knife to post? Enlighten me.

He is a maker out of Australia. Excellent fit and finish, some of the most comfortable handles around.

Newham1.jpg
Newham2.jpg
Newham3.jpg

I got one based on the recommendation of Brian Weekley (thanks!). Great knife with very reasonable price and has the most comfortable handle in my collection. I got mine around $200 and think the handle alone is worth the price.

I got one of his boning knife and f&f is second to none. The handle fits like a glove, best handle that I have held so far.

After my last comment on the current WTB Newham thread I thought there needed to be another, more open, thread to discuss Will's work. Before starting one I figured it best to look for an existing one. I'm glad I found it.

@josemartinlopez looks to have snagged the honyaki i almost bought. And good on him for doing so. Here's the one I have, and I hope to have another soon.

20200727_190525.jpg
20210912_003952.jpg
20210912_003811.jpg
20210912_003717.jpg
20210912_003607.jpg

@marc4pt0 that porch is legend

There is another unspoken legend in that pic lineup as well. The background in the choil shot. It was the lower part of the window behind my desk chair in the office. The glass was frosted, and the view was northeast and looked out into the harbor. So the lighting was just perfect for choil shots. Every time I opened a box with a new knife it would be one of the first things I did- swivel around in my chair and snap off a few shots. Seven and a half years, that was pretty much the background for the majority of my choil shots. But what no one really saw was the full, un-cropped/unedited versions. Until now....

EB40CD0A-0DA6-47F8-9742-D39ED0C3CCE8.jpeg

I'd still love to see his knives cutting. He's on a shortlist for me after full employment

I‘m terrible at making videos. But I will say that the knife I have always puts a smile on my face when using it. From Carrots to onions and everything in between, I have yet to be disappointed by my Newham. It has been the knife I used most at my new business. Mostly because it’s the only mono stainless I have (I think). But that isn’t the only reason, the knife still has to perform and this one does in spades.

Can other people who bought Will's recent stainless work with matching saya post pics? This is an incredible batch.

Will currently has a couple of absolute stunners available on his site. There is a honyaki that is just off the charts beautiful. Honestly if the rosewood honyaki and rosewood stainless sayas were switched around, I’d have no choice but to pick up the honyaki. Don’t get me wrong, Will’s saya work alone is too perfect for this world. But that belly shout of this saya turns me on in so many ways:

CE5DB2F8-259E-4A63-9A0E-725501E48C06.jpeg

My attraction to Newham Knives started a couple of years ago with a post of one of his knives by @kevpenbanc on the New Knives forum. When I inquired with @kevpenbanc he directed me to Newham’s website. I immediately bought one of the knives posted on Newham’s website and have since followed that up with three more. Here’s a pic of the first three …

58A55702-DEF3-499F-BDBC-49D536AAF50C.jpeg

Here’s a couple of pics pics of my fourth and most recent purchase …

08219878-E424-4553-9A3C-25DC11DAF58B.jpeg

1167844D-9D6C-40AA-B5FA-2D7735980741.jpeg

45C42CE0-B3D4-4E8A-AEE8-A13FA2ABD590.jpeg

8CAABD88-1C84-4BDE-9C9D-425FF0FC7D29.jpeg

Wanting to display some of my knives more fully I inquired of Will whether he would make me up some furniture quality magnetic knife strips. Here is what he produced.

F89A217B-7E1B-45DD-9302-D5BD0809F633.jpeg

7ED3EC53-45F9-4318-8D89-1B3A68C57011.jpeg

When I ordered my first knife from Will I was strictly a reactive blades guy. … Not really interested in stainless anything. Newham changed all that. His knives are exquisitely made, and as important, they perform with the best of any knives I own. Will is an obvious perfectionist steeped in a healthy dose of OCD (in the best way). His craftsmanship ranks with or exceeds all other makers that I have purchased knives from. Yes … I have new customs on order from Will. I hope to see them in 2022.

Though Newham’s prices have climbed north of 1K recently, his early production was ridiculously cheap … especially when considering the differential between the US Dollar and the Aussie Dollar. I think most would agree that his current production is heirloom quality and yet perfectly usable on a daily basis. The most used knife in my kitchen is Will’s paring knife which gets used and abused multiple times each day yet is close to “as new” condition as you can get. Will’s saya’s are by any measure absolutely “sick”. I don’t think there is a match for them made by anyone. I recently paid another maker $350 for a saya for one of my suji’s. It’s definitely nice … superior by any measure … but Will’s is better.

Will’s saya’s are by any measure absolutely “sick”. I don’t think there is a match for them made by anyone. I recently paid another maker $350 for a saya for one of my suji’s. It’s definitely nice … superior by any measure … but Will’s is better.

Couldn't agree more regarding the quality of Will's sayas. I've got a spicy white honyaki from him which is a terrific knife and a joy to use and look at. The workmanship is superb.

I also bought one of his magnetic knife racks but have not put it up yet. I just don't know where to put it...

If I didn't already have a knife very similar to it I'd pick up the currently discounted spicy white honyaki from his site in a hurry. Converts to something just north of US$700 incl shipping. Compared to some other knives sold here on BST it's a steal.

CleanShot 2022-01-10 at 15.16.47@2x.png

Couldn't agree more regarding the quality of Will's sayas. I've got a spicy white honyaki from him which is a terrific knife and a joy to use and look at. The workmanship is superb.

I also bought one of his magnetic knife racks but have not put it up yet. I just don't know where to put it...

If I didn't already have a knife very similar to it I'd pick up the currently discounted spicy white honyaki from his site in a hurry. Converts to something just north of US$700 incl shipping. Compared to some other knives sold here on BST it's a steal.

View attachment 159767

To whoever to listened to @outofgamut and bought that knife an hour ago. If the knife was still available after my breakfast I might have pulled the trigger. Whoever you are, you saved my january budget. :)

+1 on that comment … I came a hair triggers breadth from owning a fifth last night. I resolved that I would buy it if it were still available when I woke for my mid-night comfort break … which is now. I think part of the problem is that many are intimidated by the thought of an overseas purchase. Couriers, customs and all that. It does take a little longer but costs no more and for me has been completely reliable.

Just as the day has past when you can buy one of Will’s Gyutos for $200, the day will soon come when buying a knife from stock from Will will be a distant memory. When you are producing a high quality product at a more than reasonable price as Newham is, the world WILL find a way to your door. The interesting part to me is that these heirloom works from Will are users. Both @marc4pt0 and I can attest to that. No closet, drawer or wall queens among them. So … run the numbers … a Honyaki that you can actually use without destroying its value, world class quality workmanship AND a sick of all sickest saya. No … Will doesn’t have a problem. Those off us that passed this knife buy have the problem … we need more money in our bank accounts.

Back