What Do You Do For A Living?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Obviously a lot of chefs and food service workers, though many of us are either passionate or used to work in the industry.

I retired from the USAF 3.5 years ago and have been working in the financial industry since then. I'm currently a project manager for a global program in HR.

What about you?

Nice! I live in south east PA in Chester County. I'm from Lancaster though.
In a previous career I worked for Gmac (now Ally) in Horsham (lived in Doylestown). Man, that was some good pizza and cheesesteaks.

Anyway, work in finance down here in Austin, TX. Only food experience I have was when I worked on a fish processor off the coast of Alaska for a summer. You've never had fresh fried "fish from the icy Bering Sea" until you've had fresh pollack chips. But I did learn that if the fish stick doesn't flake, don't eat it. Ever. Came away with 4 20lb cases of flash frozen cod, about the same of pollack. Could have had a couple cases of squid but I was a dumba** that didn't know what "calamai" was, nor did I know what "ceviche" as when the crew was chopping up fresh squid for it.

I work in an architectural firm, provide technical support to both computers (IT) and people (high end 3d modeling). I'm one of those guys that can draw a really beautiful profile if I put my mind to it. @ian , what branch of mathematics are you in? I'm good friends with a guy named Hyman Bass, he was pretty influential in trees, into math education now.

Banquet Sous, with no guess on when I'll get back to doing that. Last year a friend and I had started a upscale catering company which was slow rolling. We did a couple of events. Due to the recent events we got a bid for a government program feeding seniors a couple days a week. Its been great exposure for the company and 2021 is almost full with weddings I don't know if ill ever go back to the hotel...

There days my top priority is stay at home dad. The various other side gigs include helping my wife with her business (CFO, CIT, and chief dish washer), I also make sawdust and grind some knives on the side. Before the kids I used my PhD in organic chemistry for drug discovery.

I work in an architectural firm, provide technical support to both computers (IT) and people (high end 3d modeling). I'm one of those guys that can draw a really beautiful profile if I put my mind to it. @ian , what branch of mathematics are you in? I'm good friends with a guy named Hyman Bass, he was pretty influential in trees, into math education now.

Geometry. Close enough that I do know Bass-Serre theory! I met Hyman Bass briefly at a math ed conference years ago - the only ed conference I’ve attended. Doubt he remembers though. Funny!

Geometry. Close enough that I do know Bass-Serre theory! I met Hyman Bass briefly at a math ed conference years ago - the only ed conference I’ve attended. Doubt he remembers though. Funny!

I must say I’m slightly envious Ian. Not only are you really good at math I would imagine it’s something your passionate about... meanwhile I’m over here complaining about having to quadruple recipe sizes and actually measure things whenever I bake.

I must say I’m slightly envious Ian. Not only are you really good at math I would imagine it’s something your passionate about... meanwhile I’m over here complaining about having to quadruple recipe sizes and actually measure things whenever I bake.

Hah, we all have our difficult moments. A few days ago, I was making some bread dough while minding an unhappy child and suddenly realized that all the measurements were for an 80% hydration starter instead of my usual 100%. Doing the conversions in my head while enduring the screaming was not my happiest math moment.

edit: i seem to talk a lot about my screaming child on here. He’s actually quite lovely most of the time. :)

2nd edit: the above is an extreme example. quadrupling stuff is hard for anyone.... cause there’s always one ingredient you forget to quadruple

Last edited:
Ok, I’m not an influencer. I just thought it sounded contemporary. I’m a stay home dad. (I have a lot of bad influence over my kids, but that doesn’t really make me an influencer).
That was my plan, until the second(my third) came along. 😞

retirement? What’s that?

Hershey is fun around Christmas, I moved to Florida though so I dont have to do winter anymore lol. I feel like it used to smell a lot stronger of chocolate in the 90s than it does now.

Hershey is fun around Christmas, I moved to Florida though so I dont have to do winter anymore lol. I feel like it used to smell a lot stronger of chocolate in the 90s than it does now.
I’m over winter as well. That’s why I want to trade 😂. But yeah, the smell isn’t quite as awesome as it used to be. Or maybe my nose sucks now.

full time knifemaker bladesmith for 2 1/2 yrs.
prior to this was in manufacturing operations mgmt for 25 yrs, aerospace CNC machine shops and investment casting foundry, also a stint for about 4-5 yrs owning operating 3 auto collision shops.

and to further impress you, i have two masters degrees:upsidedownspin:

Last edited:
I used to be a PC Repair Technician. Boss accused me of stealing and withheld some pay. I was complaining about it with my neighbor and Chef friend. They were hiring a dishwasher, beginning of 2008. I took the job. About 3 weeks in, one of the line cooks gave their 2 week notice. I got moved to line. Learned every station. Then moved away, middle 2009. Worked in a wannabe Chuck E. Cheese with a Mexican Restaurant in it. They sucked, business sucked. Switch to a bar/lounge/nightclub. They went out of business. Worked in a retirement home. Got tired of that place. My old restaurant was hiring. I went back, 2013. Been there ever since. But it's time to move on. I'm not related or old family friends of the owner. No advancement and Sous works and knows less than me.

Last edited:
Back