What Do You Do For A Living?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I aspire to one day learning maths well enough to understand the equations behind quantum mechanics.

Pipe dream, I know...

Pipe dream? Not so! But you would have to dedicate a large amount of time to the knowledge. If you could bootstrap your foundational knowledge (maybe you already have it?) up to a level where you could begin to study something like the Feynman Lectures, you will be on your way.

In all things maths related I am a hack... (sorry @ian). I prefer to take equations for granted and only use them as an unambiguous formalism to try to understand the high-level concepts. Recall that maths is a descriptive language - it is a precise tool for describing phenomena. On one level of understanding (where I prefer to sit), you learn to "read" this language. On another deeper level you learn to "speak" this language. At this deeper level you are able to solve problems and derive equations. This requires some pretty serious domain knowledge* and associated mathematical chops! I am too old and tired for this :p

* I know nothing about quantum mechanics but work in a maths adjacent field. For any 'domain', you can't simply know maths and have an instant understanding of the domain (although it helps 😁). While maths can describe many domains, you often need the corresponding context of assumptions, constraints, rational for modelling choices... etc. This is perhaps a long winded way of saying you can enjoy the concepts of a topic like quantum mechanics by studying the 'domain' and its context without being held back too much by the maths? Finding educational sources that you resonate with is the key!

Civil engineer. My focus is heavy construction project for the State of California. I do bridges and buildings mostly. Moved to Sonoma Wine country where winters storms are always trying to wash away HWY-1. So now I do retaining walls as well.

Wow... I'm an uneducated brute compared to you guys.

Dropped out of high school and ended up cooking over the next 15 years - one of the places was a fine-dining restaurant. At the very least I got my qualifications for that.
Making knives now.

Last edited:
Civil engineer. My focus is heavy construction project for the State of California. I do bridges and buildings mostly. Moved to Sonoma Wine country where winters storms are always trying to wash away HWY-1. So now I do retaining walls as well.
I lived in Vacaville before I retired from the USAF. My wife is from Sacramento.

I am a cook now....or will be one again soon when Montco opens outdoor dining. For years I was in the credit card and sub-prime mortgage business. In fact, I worked right next-door to Ericso1 in Horsham PA.

At the end of the day now, I sometimes feel greasy, but never as greasy as I felt when I was in the mortgage business. Life is better when you are doing something you believe in!

I am a cook now....or will be one again soon when Montco opens outdoor dining. For years I was in the credit card and sub-prime mortgage business. In fact, I worked right next-door to Ericso1 in Horsham PA.

At the end of the day now, I sometimes feel greasy, but never as greasy as I felt when I was in the mortgage business. Life is better when you are doing something you believe in!
I think we relatively close, i live in Chester County and work in Newark DE.

I think we relatively close, i live in Chester County and work in Newark DE.

I kind of think so too. I live in southwest Montco, but used to work in Berwyn, Chester county. Ugh...Newark sounds like a harrowing commute. In my mortgage days, I had some direct reports who worked in the Wilmington office. 95 is like deathrace at rushhour

Retired Periodontist, thumbs fell apart, i was not happily retired until covid. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Interesting to see all the Montco members. Grew up in Hatboro, college in Doylestown now in Lansdale.
Got hooked up with local church once a week they do a community meal for the less fortunate. We prep for 100. 4 of us in the kitchen. I was able to make positive changes (like real gravy instead of powdered mix) real mashed, frozen vegetables instead of canned. So i had something meaningful other than being a dad. I cooked 287 lbs of turkey in November.
Don't know if community meal will ever come back.
I am 69 so my job is to stay at home now.

I teach culinary arts at a community college. Lots of WebEx online teaching during the past 3 months -- fine for lecture courses, but not the most effective for labs. :confused:

Great professions and talents on this chat - living in Switzerland for the last 8 years, before that McLean, VA, before that NYC and before that NJ and Philly.

head of a small business consulting firm with offices in Switzerland, Singapore, and US

degrees in science and economics plus the dreaded MBA

Pyrotechnist. Outdoor display work, indoor/proximate, stage, movie and video SFX. Also do "gun wrangling" and provide armorer services for video & movies. Licensed to manufacture and import explosives. Co owner of a pyrotechnic display company.

Basically, I work in the entertainment industry- I blow stuff up and set things on fire to amuse people. Or used to, back when we could get an audience together... It's been a really thin year.

Also, I get to spend more and more time doing little things to keep other people doing the actual work... Moving paper- permitting, insurance, various types of compliance. Logistics, training, getting and keeping people's certifications.

"I’ve a very diverse and peculiar skill set, and ordinarily no place to use the half of it. Soon enough, I’ll be too old for most of it. Truth to tell, I probably already am."
-William Gibson, Zero History

In a previous life, I did work in several restaurants doing everything from dishwashing through prep and line chef, was the morning manager for one place too.

Last edited:

Co-workers in the office sing/screaming "fly eagles fly!" still haunts my dreams.
They decided to consolidate the office after I'd been there for 9 months. They were going to move anyone that wanted to somewhere in CT, think it was Hartford. There was also an opening out in Salt Lake. I'm from Washington State, so pretty easy to guess which direction I went.

Back