What Do You Do For A Living?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably should have provided a little more clarity. I work in fixed income asset mgmt as a portfolio manager. Specialize in muni bonds and structured product (CMO and CMBS for the most part), and head up muni ESG.

Software engineer, games industry.
Worked on FIFA, World of Tanks, a few others no one heard of or will ever, as such things sometimes go.
Can be a very fun job with a good company, can be very much not with others. I've been very lucky.
what was the game you enjoyed making the most/ had the most fun with?

Make and sharpen knives...

Before that, hmmm. Twenty years ago, I was about 3/4 of the way to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Maths. Got stressed and lost focus, and started washing dishes. Quickly moved up to line cook, and was offered a position as a Saucier, but the hotel closed before I could start.

Then played poker professionally for a bit, and eventually ended up working in warehouses. I was running flow in an Amazon warehouse before opening my own business. I don't miss having 100's of people under my control, or dealing with bosses that couldn't keep their egos in check.

Life is more simple now, and ties in more with how I started my young adulthood.

@Bert2368 I love to blow **** up, you hiring?

Edit: Just realized we could have fun inserting our own 4 letter words into that censor. Either way $20 is $20

We are always looking for more people who want to learn the craft. It's a low margin business, so pays not so well, it's moderately dirty work (but a lot cleaner than say, cleaning out the grease trap in a commercial kitchen- Or dealing with the bathrooms on a heavy night). It is not particularly dangerous, IF you can learn to follow procedures and keep your wits about you.

PM me if you want to try it. It looks like you are near Chicago? I will be leading a good sized barge show on Lake Geneva in Southern WI on July 1st & 2nd. Come on out and smell the smoke...

We are always looking for more people who want to learn the craft. It's a low margin business, so pays not so well, it's moderately dirty work (but a lot cleaner than say, cleaning out the grease trap in a commercial kitchen- Or dealing with the bathrooms on a heavy night). It is not particularly dangerous, IF you can learn to follow procedures and keep your wits about you.

PM me if you want to try it. It looks like you are near Chicago? I will be leading a good sized barge show on Lake Geneva in Southern WI on July 1st & 2nd. Come on out and smell the smoke...
sometimes i still feel the grease stuck on my arms from cleaning those even though it has long been scrubbed off til it bleeds.

Dayum Bert.....I wanna do what you do, that sounds fun! I occasionally set stuff on fire, but only if I am trying to do too many things at once. Or use too much butter in a saute pan

I have been PAID to burn down a rendition of a famous architects design... For ART, you understand.

And I refuse to apologize for art!

Wow... I'm an uneducated brute compared to you guys.

Dropped out of high school and ended up cooking over the next 15 years - one of the places was a fine-dining restaurant. At the very least I got my qualifications for that.
Making knives now.
You're in good company. Both Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg dropped out. They did OK too I think.

I’m a high school pastor, who developed a fondness for cooking , and fell into the deep pit of high(er)-end knives 😂 but I’m loving learning and starting a collection , and the knives just make me want to cook more !

In the breakfast cereal and snacks industry, take care of sales in a couple places. Great to hear from everyone

Well, since I started this thread (not long ago), it appears I am part of the covid-19 job cutting trend. I'm now trying to figure if I want to go back to being a compliance officer or just be a MBA student.
You might consider to migrate to Germany...construction business is running wild despite Corona and government is pumpin' billions after billions in the economy...

Just kidding:goodjob:

Latest posts

Back