What Do You Do For A Living?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commercial contractor. We work in the southwest and Hawaii, mostly government work with VA leases. I’m pretty burnt though to be honest, gonna stick with it for another 3-5 years and then maybe open a firearms shop, mostly long range rifles would be the hope.

I was studying to be a fish and Game biologist in college when my macro economics professor had us write a paper on the life style we envisioned for our future. He read mine, asked what I was studying and when I told him wildlife biology he advised me to switch over to law or medicine or drop out and get after it. I dropped out the next day and never looked back. The company kept getting bigger as the family grew, seven kids will do that.

Interesting thread!

Now you're speaking my language. Awesome. Side note: we are getting ready to launch a high-yield tax-exempt bond...too much work.

I don't do HY, but I always enjoy talking munis to muni people. You talk munis to non muni people the look like you cut your veggies with cutco. I'd say structured product is level 2 when it comes to "nuance". Talking to dealers about SP is fun when you start educating them on munis. Their heads just spin.

@AFKitchenknivesguy , sorry man. I've always enjoyed your posts and hope you can continue in the future. Best of luck landing how you want/need to land.

Great to see such a diverse range of characters on the forum.

I own a retail hydroponic and garden supply store in Melbourne.
Worked in kitchens in my late teens and early twenties mainly helping chefs with food prep. Then studied horticulture and worked in plant nurseries for about 7 years, now a keen home cook.

What a great thread, so great to see everyone's varying professions. Worked BOH after college all the while maintaining a neighborhood grocery gig at a family owned joint. Just bought the business last June with some long time friends and employees. Two locations in North Seattle.

I LOVE the perks. Here's and old Jewish proverb: Never pay retail.
I live in Bothell, what business do you own?

I owned an alarm company in Seattle for 35 years until I retired a little over a year ago now. We did installations, service and monitoring of security systems. We also installed whole house audio systems and built in surround sound systems. Sold the monitoring contracts and never looked back.

I’ve always enjoyed cooking and spend a lot of time in the kitchen. My wife and I enjoy all types of cooking and make many different ethnic foods.

I like to design and build things and always have. About a year ago I saw a few YouTube videos on building 2x72 grinders and decided to build one. I had no intention of making knives, I just thought the machines were cool. One day I decided since I had the grinder I might as well try making a knife and I was surprised that I could actually do it. I’ve also gotten into making knife handles using epoxy resin casting and pigment powders along with other materials. While I enjoy making the knives what I really enjoy is designing and making the equipment to make the knives with. Aluminum and steel have been the materials of choice lately for these machines and tools. I’d like to come up with a small business platform to sell some of these products but we’ll see how that pans out. There’s something very rewarding owning your own business and I feel a bit lost not having one. I do feel fortunate that I don’t have my business now with this pandemic going on. I know this must be very difficult for many business owners.

I owned an alarm company in Seattle for 35 years until I retired a little over a year ago now. We did installations, service and monitoring of security systems. We also installed whole house audio systems and built in surround sound systems. Sold the monitoring contracts and never looked back.

I’ve always enjoyed cooking and spend a lot of time in the kitchen. My wife and I enjoy all types of cooking and make many different ethnic foods.

I like to design and build things and always have. About a year ago I saw a few YouTube videos on building 2x72 grinders and decided to build one. I had no intention of making knives, I just thought the machines were cool. One day I decided since I had the grinder I might as well try making a knife and I was surprised that I could actually do it. I’ve also gotten into making knife handles using epoxy resin casting and pigment powders along with other materials. While I enjoy making the knives what I really enjoy is designing and making the equipment to make the knives with. Aluminum and steel have been the materials of choice lately for these machines and tools. I’d like to come up with a small business platform to sell some of these products but we’ll see how that pans out. There’s something very rewarding owning your own business and I feel a bit lost not having one. I do feel fortunate that I don’t have my business now with this pandemic going on. I know this must be very difficult for many business owners.
As i said yesterday i was unhappily retired (absolutely lost) for 50 weeks. Every cloud has a silver lining. My colleagues (including my older son) are really struggling. Breaks my heart.

Jeez.. after reading this thread, I really regret going to culinary school :angiefavorite:

I almost went to culinary school. I told my cook buddy about it and he said don't bother, you'll learn on the job. An hour later he told me I have an interview at a restaurant the next day. Landed my first kitchen job right then and there. Had some of the best times of my life

I almost went to culinary school. I told my cook buddy about it and he said don't bother, you'll learn on the job. An hour later he told me I have an interview at a restaurant the next day. Landed my first kitchen job right then and there. Had some of the best times of my life
I hear you brother. I had to bounce after a year. Too expensive. You definitely learn more on the job but unfortunately, at least by me, the degree helps when it comes landing certain higher paying jobs. Wish I finished to be honest. At the same time I have definitely had moments over the past 12 or so years where I questioned being in the industry at all. I love it. Just wish I chose a better paying career sometimes.

As i said yesterday i was unhappily retired (absolutely lost) for 50 weeks. Every cloud has a silver lining. My colleagues (including my older son) are really struggling. Breaks my heart.
I know several people who are lost if they aren’t working. The hardest part for me has been the feeling of not having value or worth. I was done with the industry and was sick of running my business so that part doesn’t bother me. But feeling like I don’t have a purpose has been the hardest thing to deal with. I think part of that is not making money even though I don’t really need to. I believe what you need to do is find something to be passionate about, something that’s rewarding to do. When I create things in my shop I feel like I’m accomplishing something and that I have value again. I still get down sometimes but I’m doing better because of it.

I feel so bad for all the small business owners out there, especially the restaurant owners.

Test and certify gas turbines (jet engines) for the oil and gas industry. They go on to power oil rigs, pump the natural gas around the grid, and operate as back-up in power stations, including nuclear.

Previously in the military doing pretty much the same thing on fast jet squadrons. You could say "Same meat, different gravy" :) And yes, I am a little bit deaf!

Cooking for family at home is my creative outlet, as my regular job deals in absolutes and specifications, with no wiggle room for creative flair. When I'm in the kitchen, I treat recipes as guidance only.

Last edited:
Currently a union carpenter's apprentice.

Before this I was an installer for about 6 years, which falls under the Union's many facets.

Once upon a time I was chef, who worked all the stations in some fashion. Have about 12 years in that industry, all things from delivery driver, cold side, prep, managing, catering, fry station, grill, saute, etc. and about a year and a half front of the house bussing and serving during that period, even though earlier into my career swore I would never haha.

Done commercial HVAC for a brief period, which was surprisingly interesting, though I despised the conditions I was working under.

Had also played poker for a living and if it weren't for being a complete degen at the time probably still would be.

I've driven trucks(non-CDL).

Been a milk man, no ******** haha!

Materials tester.

Worked mailroom.

And in my really younger years, spread the sticky icky, ooh wee, of course lol.

Guess I've never been satisfied committing to one thing, though I've loved almost all these jobs. Usually the lack of fair pay, proper benefits and safe/normal work conditions has always had me keeping it moving.

Back