What do you do when all the knives in your kitchen are sharp?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0703191458b.jpg

Define sharp. Strangely one of them is always not sharp enough ;-)

If you’re confident that any knife you put to the stones will be at least sharper than before, open a booth at your local farmers market, $5 a blade.

Man, I’d be a little afraid to do this until I could not only improve knives, but could do it really fast. The knife sharpener who comes to our farmers market always seems like she can’t keep up with all the demand even though she does it all on some sort of powered wheel. I guess if you set hard limits and make it clear that you can’t handle more than a few knives, it would be ok.

Some communities have a “Buy nothing” online board/community, though, for free goods and services. I might even try listing on the one around here myself, now that you mention it. A little less formal, and less pressure.

Reset the bevel pretty quick and left a toothy edge. These wheels are not as coarse as some believe.

I think my busiest day was about 50 knives in 4 hours (really closer to 3) stones only. This is where the Sigma 240 shines! I had looked into the antique grindstone route too mainly for the cool factor.

I think my busiest day was about 50 knives in 4 hours (really closer to 3) stones only. This is where the Sigma 240 shines! I had looked into the antique grindstone route too mainly for the cool factor.

Nice, I didn’t get from your previous post that you’d actually done this! Inspiring. :)

Now if I only had the time to actually do something like this, what with the day job and the family.

I came up with it as an answer to the question “where will I find a thousand knives to sharpen?” Loads of fun and good practice. I also really enjoyed the people telling stories of the guys with the bicycle grindstones who would come around decades ago, and memories of grandfathers and fathers and uncles who sharpened their knives and how nobody does it anymore (lol), and the guy who said to his teenage son, “see Zack, you gotta do stuff the old fashioned way to get arms like that guy!”

Ummmm....start over? Actually that's what I did. I kept at it, thinning, changing, testing, re-doing. My wife as it turns out is really sensitive to how a knife works on food. I had no idea because the knives never really had good edges. Burrs, lopsided bevels, you name it. I learned a lot by all the feedback.

Back