what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Discussion in 'Back of the House' started by panda, Mar 2, 2015.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 19, 2018 #271

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    Well. I'm not wealthy- so cheaper knives than most of the pretty stuff further up thread. I use knives to work outdoors a lot, inevitably, some will vanish.

Stuff happens... Like snow, we have a lot around here. If given any chance, it EATS things. Your co-worker drops your tool off a barge in a freak accident, clearly not THEIR fault- or just "forget" to give them back.

Here are a couple of Chinese ones off of Amazon, Eafengrow. I will buy clones if they have the decency not to fake trademarks, brand names, counterfeit packaging. These come in a plain black box with model # and maker's brand name only. Sharp OTB.

A usable tool for around $25 US. They are marked as being D2 tool steel on the blades. See the XRF gun analysis below each picture for more about that-

The yellow one is a new replacement for another I had, the same model knife but with orange scales which I recently had disappear.

Both models are well made, take a good edge. BUT: the orange handled lost knife AND the larger orange handled knife shown below were softer steel than the new yellow handled one. Very different response to sharpening, it required way more work to remove steel on that yellow one. Got me wondering, so I asked the guys at the scrap yard. They're knife guys too, didn't even charge me for the tests.

20181219_003214.jpg

20181219_120430.jpg

20181219_120524.jpg

20181219_120518.jpg

I find interesting the suggestion by the XRF unit's software that first tested alloy is "cronidur 3"(cronidur 30 is a stainless steel used for bearings?).

The guy running the business looked at the first reading (yellow knife), ignored the screen note of "cronidur3"and said it was probably 420.

The second (orange) knife, it read a small % of Ni, otherwise, pretty close to the first. Device called it as "SS 410/16".

The lack of Mo and Si suggest neither blade is made from D2.

20181220_124334.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. Dec 21, 2018 #272

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    My lack of knowledge on XRF capabilities comes out: I find that anything with atomic number below about element 22 (Ti) isn't going to show up in small quantities in this type of test- Most particularly, Carbon and Silicon. So I have NO idea if Si is present from the quick n dirty scrap yard XRF gun tests.

3. Dec 22, 2018 #273

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

Just picked up this little tool...useful:
    [​IMG]

pd7077 and Matus like this.
  4. Dec 23, 2018 #274

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

so the military arrived and this thing is a frigging monster! much larger than what it looks in pictures, holy crap.

Ryndunk likes this.
  5. Dec 23, 2018 #275

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Just got a para 3 because the military looked to big in the pictures

6. Dec 24, 2018 #276

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

Keith Sinclair likes this.
  7. Dec 28, 2018 #277

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

At work I usually carry a simple Kershaw Chive or a Boker Urban trapper in VG-10.

8. Dec 31, 2018 #278

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

just wanted to give you guys an update on how the spyderco military is working out. freaking love it!! once i got used to the size it has become such a joy to EDC.

9. Dec 31, 2018 #279

ChrisL45

ChrisL45

ChrisL45

I carry two pocket knives when I can, which in Missouri is most of the time. First is a Swiss Army I don't know the model. It mostly gets used for opening boxes, packages, or whatever. The second is a Shun folding steak knife. Which only gets used on food.

Attached Files:

10. Dec 31, 2018 #280

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

That's what people said about Smartphones.;)

Matus likes this.
  11. Dec 31, 2018 #281
    Just received a Dragonfly Sprint in V-Toku2. Great little knife. I do not quite understand why didn't I get one since I lost the Sprint in Aogami Super.

But now I would like to get some nice custom scales for it, but nobody seems to me making these. Maybe I should try to make some myslef :) The original FRN offers fantastic grip, but will be damaging pockets on my jeans fast.

12. Dec 31, 2018 #282

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

Spyderco paramilitary 2 in M4,
    Bradford Guardian 4 in M390
    Spyderco ladybug in ZDP189

20181231_140610.jpeg

13. Dec 31, 2018 #283

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

I bought one of those for the wife for when she goes to the barn to feed.It's always handy for cutting open bales of hay.That little knife is nice and safe for her and the choils are nice for added grip.

Matus likes this.
  14. Jan 1, 2019 #284

erickso1

erickso1

erickso1

Panda, I have the Kershaw Blur. Bit shorter then your m4, but I always enjoy when I carry it. Problem is, jean pockets these days are getting shorter, and it is less comfy while sitting at a desk.

15. Jan 1, 2019 #285

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

so wear slacks instead, problem solved.

16. Jan 17, 2019 #286

Brandon Wicks

Brandon Wicks

Brandon Wicks

AKA blwchef/crustychef Supporting Member

When I worked in a hotel I carried a Kabar something or other. I ended up hating having this bulky thing in my chef pants so i ended up just carrying around a wine key with a nice 1 inch serrated blade on it. Worked great for open boxes and bags and cutting open onion sacks. Haven't really felt the need to have an EDC since.

17. Jan 18, 2019 #287

Deshi

Deshi

Deshi

Supporting Member

Excerpt

I have to agree that the Spyderco Dragonfly 2 - Super Blue (C28FGYE2) is an excellent EDC - particularly with the Hitachi aogami super core clad in 420J1 stainless. I was fortunate enough to own one ... but it escaped.

I would be pathetically grateful to hear from anyone who has one they'd be willing to sell.

18. Jan 18, 2019 #288

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

i love the ergonomics of the dragonfly with FRN handle, i wish they would make that same knife but in a larger form.

19. Jan 18, 2019 #289

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Been using my para3 for about a month. Nice little knife.
    20190101_191435.jpg 20190101_191428.jpg

20. Jan 18, 2019 #290

Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

Founding Member

Spyderco has a fairly current sprint run of V-Toku2 Dragonfly 2's that are still available from some vendors.

21. Jan 18, 2019 #291

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Your dragonfly can't fly away if attached to your key chain;) Panda I like the grip on the large spyderco's too. Nice looking sap green Military model.

I always wanted a automatic folder did some research found the Protech auto's great coil spring fast action & a plunge lock that keeps the blade stiff & firm. I ordered the Protech Godfather spear point 4" blade. After ordered went to google to see where they are legal. A majority of states they are legal, however in Hawaii they are not. There are knife crimes in Hawaii. Don't know what I will do with this thing just cool to have a switchblade.

22. Jan 18, 2019 #292

Deshi

Deshi

Deshi

Supporting Member

Thanks, Tiger! I’ve considered the DF2 in v-toku2, but I really liked the super blue edge .... Though I imagine I’ll come to regret it if I don’t grab one from this sprint while they’re still available.

23. Jan 18, 2019 #293

Deshi

Deshi

Deshi

Supporting Member

TFT!

24. Jan 18, 2019 #294
    You can still get one in Vtoku2 steel clad with stainless with grey FRN scales or go directly fir the HAP40 with wooden scales (is a bit heavier)

As much as I like the lightness of the Dragonfly with FRN scales for grip, it will kill any material you will clip it onto.

25. Jan 18, 2019 #295
    I am now seriously attracted to GiantMouse Ace Biblio (just google it). I really like the combination of nicely thin blade (just under 75mm long) and a properly sized handle.

26. Jan 19, 2019 #296

antonio_luiz

antonio_luiz

antonio_luiz

I used to carry a Spyderco Enduro but found it too big for my "man purse"

I then discovered the CRKT Eros - a sweet Ken Onion design that's just about perfect for basic EDC tasks and the occasional mall eatery steak.

Pierced Ti handle; frame lock; 3" 440 (Accuto) blade; IKBS pivot; Flipper

The blade shape is superb and there is enough strength and meat in the handle for a good grip provided you don't consider it a prybar

The only thing I don't like about it is the tip-up carry, but since it lives in my carry bag this isn't a big deal

Apologies for the generic pic - my camera skills are pretty woeful eros.png

27. Jan 22, 2019 #297

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of scandi-ground knives, in particular pukko/leuku, for my EDC when on the farm and just general outdoor work. No delicate edges needed there and I like having a hip carry sheath as opposing to a flipper/Spyderco style clip. Don't lose nearly as many knives that way.

Have a zero ground Malanika pukko I carry sometimes, though I have to baby it a bit more if I carry it at work, since its really more of a skinning/hunting knife and is a bit more fragile than scandis.

This is a good site for buying quality scandinavian blade blanks from reputable companies. Cheap way to get a good work knife if you're willing to handle them yourself.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html

For normal and city life, can't go to wrong with an Opinel.

28. Jan 22, 2019 #298

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Supporting Member

TGF, Site says:

I'm sorry the store is currently closed due to some health issues. I'll update and/or reopen when I can.

29. Jan 22, 2019 #299

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

Hmm that’s a shame. Haven’t bought from him in a few years so don’t know the story behind it.

30. Jan 26, 2019 #300

podzap

podzap

podzap

Puukko is the classic Finnish sheath knife. They are characterised by having zero safety features. And made infamous by the barroom brawls in Pohjanmaa where people like to get drunk on cheap vodka and stab each other to death. One slip with a puukko and you've sliced four of your fingers down to the bone.