what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stellar today

stellar.jpg

Nice to see a spyderco with that locking mechanism. How does it compare with the axis lock?
the ball lock that Spyderco uses is a fair bit more durable than the axis locks, IME.

not that it really matters in practice given it's a pocket knife.

Huge Spyderco fan myself, carry a DragonFly2 every day just because it's so small and easy to carry. I carry the vg10 version simply for the stainless aspect as well as their vg10 heat treat is actually really good, very easy to touch up and can get clean edges with little effort.

I have never had a problem with an axis lock. Most failures seem to happen when people abuse the knife from what I’ve read. But I’m glad to see others companies using a variation of it. I’ve given away several knives with liner locks because I somehow unlocked the knife while I was using it. I will never buy another Kershaw because of the liner lock. The Spydercos I bought have a spine lock. I’m excited to try one with the ball lock now.

Spyderco's Caged Ball Bearing Lock is, in my opinion, superior to the Axis lock in every way. Chronic blade flickers may disagree. The CBBL is stronger, although I don't get too wrapped up in lock strength, it is more robust, and remains stiffer so your blade doesn't flop around.

I've seen two Axis locks fail among people I know and neither of them abuse their knives. That Omega spring is thin.

Huge Spyderco fan myself, carry a DragonFly2 every day just because it's so small and easy to carry. I carry the vg10 version simply for the stainless aspect as well as their vg10 heat treat is actually really good, very easy to touch up and can get clean edges with little effort.

The DF2 Wharncliffe was the brainchild of a chef. I watched it all play out on the Spyderco forum back when I used to roam there more often. He wanted a great utility knife for his kitchen for tasks like open packaging, breaking down boxes, cutting twine, all that non-food related stuff the person running the place has to do.

Sal like the idea and they worked together through prototyping and it came to be. Then it spread to the other Seki folders and people love the blade style.

Funny enough, you can get AliExpress omega springs that are a lot stronger than the original. Gives a better detent too. I also know people who had their omega springs break, swapped in AliExpress ones and then they've been fine.

Reason like Spyderco is toughness & reliability. My two most used over 10 years
Super Blue with compression lock & CPM S30V with liner lock both bombproof reliable.
I think but not sure both are ball bearing where slot in blade is engaged with bar of steel that makes it so effective.
IMG_20230305_112258600.jpg
IMG_20230305_112315062.jpg
IMG_20230305_112335193.jpg

Reason like Spyderco is toughness & reliability. My two most used over 10 years
Super Blue with compression lock & CPM S30V with liner lock both bombproof reliable.
I think but not sure both are ball bearing where slot in blade is engaged with bar of steel that makes it so effective.
View attachment 229409View attachment 229411View attachment 229410

Howdy Keith. What you have there are a compression lock (S30V) and a back lock on the Super Blue. Folks sometimes think of the compression lock as a type of upside down liner lock but it is actually quite different.

Liner locks use a strip of metal recessed into the trough of the handle and the edge closed toward your thumb as you press it.

Man I wanted that one bad. If you wanna sell it for over msrp lemme know. You were asking about ano wear on the studs today right? 😅
Haha, yeah that was me. I was mostly joking around. I know Timascus holds up pretty well.

I almost bought Laguiole steak knives. Stainless with black handles reasonably priced on Amazon.

Have used trusty Opinel carbons for years. I'll let them patina. When sharpen take patina off most of blade. Can get them very sharp even after cutting on plates.
IMG_20230310_163745670.jpg

New sprint run Aogami Super Delica 4 just came in (bottom), I still hate the handle color but it's a little more subtle in person than what the camera picks up. Worth it to try the steel. Came shaving sharp out of the box.

Top is an untouched Endela I ordered to replace the assumed-lost Endela with a rounded and halfass fixed tip, which is my primary work knife. Of course I found it as soon as the new one arrived.

I used to rock a Delica before losing it and moving to the Endela, going back to the Delica it feels noticeably smaller in hand. The blade size is fine but the handle feels smaller than this side by side would have you think.

20230314_185944.jpg

I'm enjoying my chaparral but would like something bigger. Is the Endela the most similar in profile but longer?View attachment 231477

The Chap is a little unique. I'd say one of the Sage series is more like it in design but none of them will be as slim. Although a fair step in size, the Manix 2 Lightweight might be another to think about.

The Endela will be bulkier and have a different hand-feel.

Are there specific features of the Chap you'd like to retain in moving up in size?

The Chap is a little unique. I'd say one of the Sage series is more like it in design but none of them will be as slim. Although a fair step in size, the Manix 2 Lightweight might be another to think about.

The Endela will be bulkier and have a different hand-feel.

Are there specific features of the Chap you'd like to retain in moving up in size?
I like the thinness a lot. The xhp steel is great. The only thing I don't like is that when I am using it to cut up boxes, which is mostly what I use for, I tend to catch that little thing that sticks out at the heel which annoys me. I would like a longer, less curvy blade shape.

Back