what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pic of receiving an order of Penne noodles, 10 pallets worth. So yeah, stocking and receiving are a part of the job. Lots of cardboard going in and out of restaurants.

Still doesn't really explain how you're supposed to cut the cardboard. You cut the tape at the side and you can tear open the top of the box... if you want to break down the box you do the same at the bottom. I actually did a few summer job at a wholesaler where we did nothing but stocking shelves and we actually never cut a single piece of cardboard. When you only cut the tape a simple box cuter lasts you for ages... If you really insist on cutting apart boxes scissors work a lot better than any knife.
I can see why knife afficionado's like to have fancy pocket knives, but I just have difficulty seeing the 'need'. It's not like you're using it for survival purposes (for which a folder would suck anyway). It feels a bit like trying to find a use for the toys you want/have instead of a use-driven search for a tool.

Still doesn't really explain how you're supposed to cut the cardboard

Didn't realize I was supposed to explain how to cut cardboard with a knife. I find it pretty intuitive. I guess you could use a scissors. Doesn't seem super practical to carry them around in your pocket all day everyday though. I also use a pocket knife for cutting plastic wrapped pallets and speed racks and for cutting food. I find a pocket knife to be a very practical tool to have on hand.

yo chuckymcchz, 1 pallett ok, but 10!!?? you feeding an army?

We serve 30,000 people a week on average but sometimes we're busy. That pic was taken in December which can get a little crazy.

Panda-

That still doesn't explain how you paddle a canoe with a shovel. I can see why canoeing aficionados like to have fancy canoe shovels, but I just have difficulty seeing the 'need'.

:clown:

Didn't realize I was supposed to explain how to cut cardboard with a knife. I find it pretty intuitive. I guess you could use a scissors. Doesn't seem super practical to carry them around in your pocket all day everyday though. I also use a pocket knife for cutting plastic wrapped pallets and speed racks and for cutting food. I find a pocket knife to be a very practical tool to have on hand.
I guess what I was trying to say was that in all the jobs I had where I was essentially taking stuff out of cardboard boxes all day, no one was ever cutting a box...we always cut the tape...for which any kind of box cutter or even a blunt butter knife would suffice. Box cutters were actually fairly practical as you can just put the blade back in...

To be fair, I don't entirely disqualify the use of having any pocket knife at all. But I've always been puzzled why I should spend over a 100 euros on something that my 10 euro Opinel knifes do just as well or better. I absolutely love my Opinels for 'civilian' usage, and while the steel might not be spectacular they cut spectacularly well.

My only real gripe with it is that the wooden grips don't play too well with humidity... so for my military kit I have a stainless Mora companion (to have a proper blade alongside the government issue Victorinox that comes with...serrated blades :scared4:). Pretty unbreakable, easy to sharpen, you can treat it like **** and in the rare case you actually lose them they are incredibly cheap to replace.
In fact, but maybe this is just me, but the lifespan of a pocket knife has for me always been solely determined by the time it took for me to lose it...

I have actually spent the last 2 years working in a kitchen, albeit a large hospital one. What we used there was however much much worse (think 30 cent chinese plastic paring knifes). Utterly dangerous at opening vacuum packaging but never had any problems with boxes.
But I wasn't aware it was a requirement to be a professional cook to participate in a discussion on pocket knives...:rolleyes2:

Guys, let's just be nice. The is not justification needed for anyone to take part in any discussion around here. I would add a few words on those cardboard boxes. Our paper bin has 250l and it gets emptied just once a month, so if I want to fit inside more than just a few boxes, I have to cut them down to sheets not larger than some 50x50cm, so even as private person, just ordering some common stuff the cardboard may add up quickly. Indeed - one does not necessarily need 100€+ knife to get that job done, but cheap knives with poor edge holding are not much fun to use as cardboard is rather abrasive stuff.

No but this is Back of the house sub forum, in the biz is implied and I thought pretty self explanatory. You are giving us crap about wanting a nicer pocket knife. Why do you care what its usage is?

We serve 30,000 people a week on average but sometimes we're busy. That pic was taken in December which can get a little crazy.

where do you work?

No but this is Back of the house sub forum, in the biz is implied and I thought pretty self explanatory. You are giving us crap about wanting a nicer pocket knife. Why do you care what its usage is?

Look, you have started this thread with a post that had no particular relationship to professional cooking biz and the whole thread developed that way. Frankly - I have not really noticed in which subforum the thread was posted because of its original contents - and I apologize for the numerous comments I have posted with the non-biz-related content.

If you find that comments posted here are not appropriate for this subforum, than maybe the whole thread should be either closed, or moved to off-topic. But patronising others becasue they do not share your views on whether or not to cut carboard boxes does not come over quite as friendly as may have assumed.

matus, i think you mistook that bit as directed at you which was definitely not the case, if you go back a page you can see whom i was having a not so friendly vibe with. i only brought that up because i felt that person really wasnt contributing to the discussion instead just being annoying.

anyways lets put that bit aside. i have a feeling you have experience with dying G10 scales or at least know the process? i would prefer to have it in black and not the light grey. any words of advice on that matter?

Panda, I appreciate your reply. I just though that what was said could have been expressed differente, but I agree, let's leave that behind.

Yes - I did try to dye the G10 scales on the cally, but contrary to FRN, it did not go well. I followed the recipe, but the scales came out very uneven. I then tried another color, but the result was not too nice. Like the dye did not want to penetrate the G10. Even with times that would have turned the scales dark. You may have better lucj with black dye - in fact most people who tried to dye G10 scales on Spyderco knives reported good rezult. I am wondering whether the scales wers impregnated with something that prevented the dyeing.

I did take the knfie apart as it is relatively easy (get some of the low strength loctite to secure the screws aferwards).

Ha - I just found my thread on this topic I have posted back then HERE - I think there is more information than I can manage to remember now :)

Caly3.5 is really a unique knife (in retrospective I would have maybe appreciated more the 3 instead of 3.5 as for me it is a utility blade and there smaller balde can be of advantage), but I could not really EDC it as it was just too 'tactical' for guys around. When I take out my bladeforums 2015 forum knife (slipjoint), nobody seems to care - even at the office.

isnt g10 epoxy and fiberglass? hence already pretty saturated so i i would think not surprising that the stuff does not want to take in much dye.

your caly looked sweet, especially with the forced patina.

wait, it is held on with pins, how do you remove the blade?? and having to use loctite seems too much effort. could i just dump the whole knife in dye bath instead without damage?

You are right about G10, but there are some pretty nice dying results online.

Since there is also vinegar added in the dye, I would not want to bath the whole knife in it. But you could try it without vinegar.

My Caly was put together with screws at least the blade.

yikes i didnt even think about the possible ramifications of leaving carbon blade in water solution. i was more worried about the pivot/locking mechanism. perhaps leave it in open position and only submerge the handle part with the blade sitting above the liquid. guess i can tape a string to the blade to hold it up.

On the other hand, you should not need longer than a few minutes, so it may not be quite as bad.

yeah, besides i plan on forcing a patina anyway, might as well vinegar+dye etch it :D i've done a ferric chloride etch before on kitchen knives and didnt like the rough finish it left on the blade as it caused a lot of drag. maybe it was because i left it on too long.

considering getting a smaller one for use around the house, i see there is dragonfly in hap40 available directly from spyderco, but it is clad. do you know if they will be releasing a solid one any time soon?

Just remember - when etching the blade make sure you do not get the etching agent on/in the pivot.

Af far as I know (I do not frequent Spyderco forum much recently) there are no solid HAP40 blades planned for any of their models - most probably so that users do not fear rust too much. They should bring the dragonfly with M4 steel - that would be cool :)

so i do have to take it apart then, otherwise how do i not get it on the pivot? just loosen the torqx screws and it should all pop out right?

Something like that (it has been quite a while, but there is more info online). You do need to apply some pressure on the lockbar to release the pressure on the blade.

That sounds about right.

Yeah, pocket knives can be addictive as the variety of designs is MUCH larger than in kitchen knives (mostly because they are not quite as much performance driven - even crazy design will cut a rope or wood). That orange handle is not quite as orange in real life as it looks onine. And yould it prove too strong you can dye it (FRN is really piece of cake to dye - you can make it blade within few minutes) easily.

And you better completely avoid traditional slipjoint knives ;)

Panda, why not ZDP189? Just wonder the reason behind.

Back