what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM2 is such a good knife!
Casey 2.jpg

I threw a Lynch Northwest deep carry clip on mine...

View attachment 49953 So we went to the "Deer and Turkey Show" Saturday to meet a vendor we had done business with and pick up a pistol ordered 11 MONTHS AGO!!!

Then on the way out the door, herself saw another vendor we know. That meet and greet got expensive when she saw THIS.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Paramilitary-2-Knife-Dark--31164

View attachment 49950

View attachment 49951

View attachment 49952

This is the first time I have handled an S 110V blade. It came out of the box VERY sharp, and if reviews hold true, should be a long time before I get to find out if it's really as hard to sharpen RHC 64 steel as I have heard.

View attachment 49953

(Reviewer's hay stack of cardboard bits after cutting 6,000 feet (1.87 km) of cardboard, he gave up testing because the knife STILL wasn't dull?!)
I have that exact same Para 2,dark blue with S110V. It's an awesome knife. The blade holds a nice sharp edge but for touching up,which is very seldom,I stick it in my KME sharpener and run the diamond plates through a progression.

Too many to list but three stand out as most often finding their way into my pocket: a Dozier 3’ folding hunter with ironwood scales (D2, of course), a flat ground large Sebenza (S30V) and a small fixed Burke forged EDC (52100 carbon).The two folders have been all over the world with me; the Burke is only a few years old so hasn’t seen as much use, though it is my current favorite.

There seem like a lot of votes for the Spydy paramilitary; put me down for a thumbs up to its big brother. I’ve used my military for about twenty years, and while they’ve upgraded the steel over the years, that old model still cuts like a beast.

Between the Para 2 and the Para 3 , I can never figure out which one that I like the best.That's why I have both.My Native 5 sure is beautiful performer too.

Another Chinese made pocket knife arrived. This one isn't a clone of an anything, as far as I can tell.

Well built, tight, perfect alignment, came out of the box quite sharp but with a tiny bit of edge re profiling needed near tip for aesthetics. Opens with a good snap, but not so much as to have the recoil try to take it out of your hand. Lock button was gritty to start with, lubrication and a little use has it smoothed down some.

440C steel claimed, that has been verified in USA by XRF testing. Haven't seen a US hardness test report on this model, but other knives tested from Ganzo have been in spec with company listing (claimed to be 58 RHC).

And there is that extra little button on the side...

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...hentic-ganzo-f7582-or-stainless-steel-folding

20190312_121059.jpg

20190312_121138.jpg

Last edited:
Not too much yet actually. I keep a little camellia oil on the blade usually and am fairly obsessive about washing and drying after use. My Burke 52100 gyuto has a lovely patina now, but that gets a lot more use with food.

I have and like the GM3 from GiantMouse. I recently ordered (and returned) the otherwise very successful Ace Biblio from the same company. A super cool knife (just somehow I did not bond with it) so I did a short video showing these two knives.

I have three that I carry with some regularity.

I carry a Benchmade griptilian at work sometimes.

For regular life stuff I carry an opinel or a higonokami occasionally.

I have several, but by far I carry my Spyderco Delica the most. Nothing fancy about it, and no work of art (though I do think the blade shape is excellent), but it just works so damn well when I need a knife for something.

I just picked up this beautiful mid-tech from a little known Russian maker, Cheburkov Knives.
Anodized titanium scales, with M390 blade.

It’d a be an understatement to say I’m head over heels for this thing. The overall design aesthetic is right up my alley. Has future vibes mixed with mid-century modern touches and is fully functional and very comfy in hand. It has some good heft which I prefer in just about any knife really. The blade shape is great for everyday carry, nice and slicey but rugged with a modified drop point. It’s ground from thick blade stock, and feels great in a choked up grip. The angles coming up from the sharpening choil are ridiculously clean, as well as the relief angles on the top of the spine. The fit and finish in general is impeccable and all of the hardware is produced in house. The anodization is hard to capture in pics, but it has a bronze tone to it almost like an undercoat if that makes sense. Really shows up well in the sun. The 3D thumb stud takes some getting used to, but like any well designed tool once you get the hang of it you realize the artistry in the design. It deploys with a ridiculously satisfying snicker-snack! I’ve shredded my thumbnail repeatedly opening the damn thing... The M390 responds wonderfully to light stropping on just about any pair of pants I’ve worn since I received it a couple weeks ago. Gets scary sharp right quick.
Anyways enough gushing, here’s some crap pics:

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

Last edited:
Ive spent hours looking at these photos. Time to find me a EDC.

@brainsausage - that is one fantastic looking knife. Reminds me a bit of Shirogorov knives. I must admit that 3.9 blade thickness is a bit too much for my taste for an EDC, but all about the knife screams quality from photos. Thank you for bringing this maker to my attention.

BTW, just recently got a GiantMouse ACE Iona with grey scales. It is their low-end model, I think it costs $100 in US ( a bit more in € around here). Of course - it does not have the finesses of the GM3 and FRN scales are not going to have you make a standing ovation, but it is very well put together and the hardware is very solid. Since I am sucker for thin blades I have decided that I will re-grind the blade on mine (still have to figure out how to do that without fooling the knife up beyond repair. But I really like the knife otherwise and want to make it a mean apple slicer. The blade is also M390 so it will be some work.

For some reason I can't seem to upload the photo from the computer...

https://www.neboknives.com.au/product/benchmade-foray-axis-folding-pocket-knife-b698/

Benchmade Foray 698 in CPM20 steel. Beautiful, functional and durable gentleman's EDC. Came as sharp as some of my best carbon Gyuto out of the box and by all reputation, I won't need to sharpen it for a while. Won't be easy when I do though. Slight recurve on the profile. Will probably take it to the Edge Pro or purchase a diamond Atoma when it comes to sharpening.

I have and like the GM3 from GiantMouse. I recently ordered (and returned) the otherwise very successful Ace Biblio from the same company. A super cool knife (just somehow I did not bond with it) so I did a short video showing these two knives.

Man I would have loved to have taken that micarta ACE BIBLIO off your hands. They are hard to find. Always sold out. I just bought the black G10 version and I’m crazy about it. It fits me great. It’s making sell a few.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 92
@brainsausage - that is one fantastic looking knife. Reminds me a bit of Shirogorov knives. I must admit that 3.9 blade thickness is a bit too much for my taste for an EDC, but all about the knife screams quality from photos. Thank you for bringing this maker to my attention.

BTW, just recently got a GiantMouse ACE Iona with grey scales. It is their low-end model, I think it costs $100 in US ( a bit more in € around here). Of course - it does not have the finesses of the GM3 and FRN scales are not going to have you make a standing ovation, but it is very well put together and the hardware is very solid. Since I am sucker for thin blades I have decided that I will re-grind the blade on mine (still have to figure out how to do that without fooling the knife up beyond repair. But I really like the knife otherwise and want to make it a mean apple slicer. The blade is also M390 so it will be some work.

Funny you mention Shirogorov. I was eyeing his knives for a bit until a ran across a thread on reddit titled: “Cheburkov... Shirogorov Killer?”
Which immediately piqued my interest. The more I dug into Cheburkov’s work online I realized I had to have one of their pieces. Once the Tukan’s we’re back in stock I jumped on one. It definitely met all of my expectations. I’m going to try to pick up a couple more of their pieces over the next year before word really gets out. I can see them getting hype prices over the next couple years once the American market catches on. They have a pretty diverse line of knives, but the design language still comes through. In my opinion they’re a steal for the level of workmanship, fit/finish, functionality, materials, and hardware.
Funny you should mention the blade size as I was a bit skeptical at first, but it slices very nicely, and isn’t too weighty in the pocket.
I’ve been eyeing Giantmouse for a hot minute now. They look like really great knives for the money. Let me know if you ever want to do a swap!
Btw- I snagged the Cheburkov from Lamnia dot com. International shipping was stupid fast, and their response time to a query of mine was super quick. Definitely recommend them to anyone looking to take the dive on a Cheburkov. I’m looking to score a carbon fiber small Strizh next, followed by a bronze Ti scale Hudson...

Funny you mention Shirogorov. I was eyeing his knives for a bit until a ran across a thread on reddit titled: “Cheburkov... Shirogorov Killer?”
Which immediately piqued my interest. The more I dug into Cheburkov’s work online I realized I had to have one of their pieces. Once the Tukan’s we’re back in stock I jumped on one. It definitely met all of my expectations. I’m going to try to pick up a couple more of their pieces over the next year before word really gets out. I can see them getting hype prices over the next couple years once the American market catches on. They have a pretty diverse line of knives, but the design language still comes through. In my opinion they’re a steal for the level of workmanship, fit/finish, functionality, materials, and hardware.
Funny you should mention the blade size as I was a bit skeptical at first, but it slices very nicely, and isn’t too weighty in the pocket.
I’ve been eyeing Giantmouse for a hot minute now. They look like really great knives for the money. Let me know if you ever want to do a swap!
Btw- I snagged the Cheburkov from Lamnia dot com. International shipping was stupid fast, and their response time to a query of mine was super quick. Definitely recommend them to anyone looking to take the dive on a Cheburkov. I’m looking to score a carbon fiber small Strizh next, followed by a bronze Ti scale Hudson...
That knife looks wonderful. Perfect aesthetics for me. I’ve moved away from knives I think I would have a difficult time cleaning after butchering an animal. Blood guts and gristle is unpleasant to remove from nooks and crannies. Sure I have dedicated hunt knives, but I love using the one in my pocket as well.

Back