what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy mother of fungi. You either have some REALLY large morels or really tiny hands?

----

Oh. Never mind...

95063997_884579648680079_2484092295255687168_n.jpg

Last edited:
I recently got a GiantMouse Ace Clyde with brass handle and really enjoy playing with it :) plus it takes awesome patina. I thought I will not like the weight, but it gives it super solid feel.

View attachment 79722View attachment 79723View attachment 79724
That's cool, I was just looking at this one and the one with micarta scales. How do you like the blade shape and the action?

I've been mostly using these 3 lately, depending on the mood.

IMG_20200508_152545.jpg

@Barmoley the action is pretty smooth. I did took the knife apart (really easy, no ball bearings to loose) and reduced the tension of the lock bar a bit and applied a tiny bit of some super thin oil for this kind of application. I am really very happy with it now. The blade shape is very practical for a utility blade. I would wish the blade was ground a little thinner behind the edge, but it is OK.

The Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is my current favorite. Been thinking about a nice OTF knife.

PSX_20200509_022437.jpg

These are the 3 I use the most (from the left)
Benchmade 985 - awesome fit from the factory, has needed no adjustment or grease.

Spyderco mantra 2 - love the blade it just requires a lot of maintenance

Boker Kwaiken - great knife for well under $100, I have an auto version too but its a bit scary

Next knife buy is likely to be either a Benchmade Bugout, Spyderco Kappara, or Ikuchi - unless of course I find a deal on something unexpected.

Kershaw Ken Onion Leek, used, from ebay. Other than multi tools for fishing and back packing I haven't bought a pocket knife in over 40 years!
Needs to be sharpened, what do you guys use to sharpen pocket knives? I have a Smith 400 grit diamond coated rat tail that I bought to sharpen serrated bread knives.

20200529_170238.jpg

Got a Benchmade Bugout recently. Seems nice enough, though I don't have much to compare it against. It was pretty finicky getting it put back together properly after cleaning but certainly works fine for being an unobtrusive pocket knife for opening boxes and the like.

I got one of these for my wife: Boker Magnum Rainbow Mermaid Liner Lock Knife (3.75" Spectrum) 01LG318 - Blade HQ which is every bit as fun as it looks but too large to carry as a pocket knife.

Tungsten carbide blade, cuts like a demon though a bit toothy...makes me wonder about their kitchen knives...

IMG_20200528_092736.jpg
IMG_20200528_092701.jpg

Someone threw in a Gerber Razorfish with a Moritaka k-gyuto I bought a while back. The gyuto's long gone, but the Gerber is in my pocket pretty much every day. It's fairly easy to sharpen, stays where I clip it, and thick enough that I'm comfortable using it to hack at plants in the yard.

damn it, looks like my ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2 just went missing..... seems like I pulled my wallet out of my pocket and the knife got dropped somewhere. went back to the most likely place, but no one turned it in.

not sure what I want to get to replace it.

What do you folks use to sharpen your pocket knives? I have a Kershaw leek, used, and sharpened it with a Smith's 400 grit diamond rod. Raised a burr on both sides, used stropping strokes after that, edge looks good, even, no shiny spots, but boy is it rough. Cuts paper but far from smoothly.

What do you folks use to sharpen your pocket knives? I have a Kershaw leek, used, and sharpened it with a Smith's 400 grit diamond rod. Raised a burr on both sides, used stropping strokes after that, edge looks good, even, no shiny spots, but boy is it rough. Cuts paper but far from smoothly.

I clean mine up on a Shapton Pro 320 and then sometimes polish on the 1k. The 320 edge is great for garden work, so I often just leave it there.

Back