what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never really got into custom pocket knives. It is just too much of a price jump from the slip joints I collect. I have however just ordered my first custom gyuto.

The majority of my pocket knives are 1095 and can be sharpened on most any stone. I have a set of Nanawa Chosera stones 600 1000 and 3000 I like to use. They cut really fast and also work well on my kitchen knives as well as the 154cm and 3v knives I have.

What do you folks use to sharpen your pocket knives? I have a Kershaw leek, used, and sharpened it with a Smith's 400 grit diamond rod. Raised a burr on both sides, used stropping strokes after that, edge looks good, even, no shiny spots, but boy is it rough. Cuts paper but far from smoothly.
Chosera 400, strop on cardboard

Just got the replacement for my lost Dragonfly
20200618_162024.jpg

I recently got a GiantMouse ACE Clyde with brass handle - what brought the number of my GM to 3. When the Clyde was first introduced (much lighter versions with a micarta and G10 scales) I pretty much ignored it as I found the design way too boxy. Somehow over time I got interested in it and finally got one. As most (all?) other GM knives it could have been ground thinner at the edge (I worked on it already and did a wonky job), but I an thrilled how it feels in hand and how smooth the action is (after a little of pivot and lock bar adjustment and some Interflon-Fin-Super). It is my favorite edc knife/toy now. It has actually great ergonomics.

Oh and that other thing - just a super cool bottle opener :)

3BD800D3-F1C6-4EFE-B0B2-7BA4D2E729C6.jpeg

What do you use to sharpen them?
Washita. As to addressing the recurve at the ricasso, I used to be a big fan of cutting a small choil to define the start of the cutting edge, but that can interfere with cutting cord. Now I just get in there with the corner of the stone. The steel rounds the corner of the stone a little and then everything fits.

Oh, a topic I can sink my teeth into...
20200620_120851.jpg

For sharpening I use my kitchen stones to sharpen everything. Though truth be told, the Spyderco Native and Benchmade Mini-Griptilian are both on factory grinds. The steels (S110V and 20CV) are amazingly tough.

IMG_20200813_183625.jpg

From top to bottom, cheapo locking I don't really know anything about it. Swiss Army I haven't been able to find any info about. Carbon steel Higonokami, which has been my edc for a while, and needs some work. Shun Higo style steak knife I got as a bridal party gift.

Oh, a topic I can sink my teeth into...
View attachment 84607

For sharpening I use my kitchen stones to sharpen everything. Though truth be told, the Spyderco Native and Benchmade Mini-Griptilian are both on factory grinds. The steels (S110V and 20CV) are amazingly tough.

20200813-184539.jpg

Love the BM mini-grip in 20cv. That steel is ridiculous. Carried almost every day for four years, only had to sharpen it once. That's a whole lot of cardboard boxes without appreciable edge degradation.

Spyderco Delica. Took a year to lose the first one, a few months to lose the second one, and still have the third after ~20 years. Time to move on though--you can't EDC a knife after you use it to clean your toenails. It was just too convenient just that one time...
1597382209244.png

Spyderco Delica. Took a year to lose the first one, a few months to lose the second one, and still have the third after ~20 years. Time to move on though--you can't EDC a knife after you use it to clean your toenails. It was just too convenient just that one time...
View attachment 90345

More like you can't EDC a knife until you use it to clean your toenails :upsidedownspin:

As of late, I have been carrying this Opinel #7 that i found at the Goodwill for $5. Before that, I was carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion that I had for 15 years, that I recently lost.
cAtCexdl.jpg

20200813-184539.jpg

Love the BM mini-grip in 20cv. That steel is ridiculous. Carried almost every day for four years, only had to sharpen it once. That's a whole lot of cardboard boxes without appreciable edge degradation.
you used it for four years and only had to sharpen it once!!?? if that is the case, every knife should be made with 20cv. throw away the others.

i should buy one and try it on my uses..nothing i own last even remotely that long. i cut a lot of stuff tho..but i honestly think cardboard is fairly tough on edges..i believe it is the dirt and grit embedded in the material. i am on a construction sight.

you used it for four years and only had to sharpen it once!!?? if that is the case, every knife should be made with 20cv. throw away the others.

i should buy one and try it on my uses..nothing i own last even remotely that long. i cut a lot of stuff tho..but i honestly think cardboard is fairly tough on edges..i believe it is the dirt and grit embedded in the material. i am on a construction sight.

Yup. Sounds ridiculous but it's true. In fairness, I wasn't breaking down cardboard everyday in a commercial kitchen or something but we're still talking about a gazillion amazon deliveries, grocery boxes, etc etc. It's a ridiculously wear resistant steel.

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/duratech_20cv.shtml

Last edited:
i cut a lot of stuff tho..but i honestly think cardboard is fairly tough on edges..i believe it is the dirt and grit embedded in the material.

It's also the glue, used to make cardboard, that's hard on your edge.
I often carry this now instead of a knife.
P1050854.jpeg

Lots of good blades available.
Bonus is that I have a pen with me now too...

Last edited:
you sure it isn’t maxamet labeled as 20cv 🤣

Never used maxamet unfortunately. As for 20cv, I've been thinking more about the BM mini-grip, and I probably should have given more credit to the edge geometry. It's not optimized for being a thin-behind-the-edge slicer. It was decently thin, but not remarkably so, not a super low angle, certainly micro-beveled, and designed to hit a sweet spot between cutting ability and edge stability. The one time I sharpened the knife, I did take the angle lower and thinned out the area behind the edge just a tad. It resulted in what I usually see in PM knives -- an almost frightening, very surgical-feeling sharpness. That surgical sharpness did mellow out with a few uses, but it has remained completely stable ever since. This is also something I have experienced with PM blades. There is a slight but still perceptible decrease in sharpness after several uses, but then it just stays there for ever and ever.

Last edited:
i am BEATING this poor knife. as a Construction Engineer knife-life is hard. i used it yesterday to prune tomato plants. it was challenging with the gritty muddy plants.

i stropped it! its a great edge.

strop and ACE.jpg

Back