what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16009167435466428622724934397826.jpg
Butterfly

Apparently I have a thing for Ti framelocks:
5tUBe2Q.jpg

But most days, its this CF/BG42 Spyderco Millitary or its little brother (Para2) in CF/S90V:
Ij6Qg5M.jpg

I EDC my Benchmade Bugout. Love that little blade!

I EDC my Benchmade Bugout. Love that little blade!
I am finding the little bugout with white handle and black blade pretty cool to be honest. It would be great it Benchmade would offer the customization as they do for the bigger one.

Yeah, I want to get another Bugout one of these days and some custom scales. I have the full size one and its the perfect size for most cutting tasks. If I want a tactical knife, I have my Benchmade Mini Rukus.

Chris Reeve makes some very fine knivis. I have been lately tempted by the Mnandi, but that kind of purchase (an office knife) will make much more sense after lockdown. It would kinda feel strange to carry such a knife to a meeting ... while wearing a pyjama :D

Everytime I take out my Sebenza, I'm just blown away by the utter simplicity and sturdiness of the design. I have the small and the large. Small for situations where a discrete blade is required and the large everywhere else. The Mnandi is beautiful! I always stayed away from it because it seems so small, but I'm kind of coming around to an appreciation of it these days.

I ended up gifting my small sebenza to my cousin after I got my mnandi, the difference in the hand was enough for me to pick the mnandi over the sebenza.

Any recommendations for a picnic style folding knife mainly for simple food prep (cutting cheese, tomatoes, bread, fruit etc)? I have an opinel but looking to upgrade. I like the simplicity but it's a bit rough around the edges and the blade is often stuck. Thinking about something like a Laguiole style knife. Any brands to look out for? I don't really know where to start.

Any recommendations for a picnic style folding knife mainly for simple food prep (cutting cheese, tomatoes, bread, fruit etc)? I have an opinel but looking to upgrade. I like the simplicity but it's a bit rough around the edges and the blade is often stuck. Thinking about something like a Laguiole style knife. Any brands to look out for? I don't really know where to start.
I'd consider checking out Evan Antzenberger's little folder. It's a great tool for such things. It's definitely an upgrade from an Opinel. I also like Laguiole but they are more production; Bryan Raquin makes amazing stuff, and occasionally will sell fixed blades that are certainly worth checking out (or his yet-to-go-live Maru knives).

The Evan Antzenbergers look very nice but out of my league. I have seen a nice looking 14cm Laguile en Aubrac but that's pushing my budget too. Anything in a similar style but priced somewhere between the Opinel and Laguile en Aubrac? Appreciate the responses.

I have rocked an Opinel No.7 for a few years, this is a No.8 handle and I'm definitely looking forward to the upgrade for my daily carry.

I really like a sardinian pattadesa for these kind of tasks.
(That much that a custom one is in the making ;) )

Sounds like you are looking for a thinner blade that would slice well. Check out this video - it contains a few sub $100 knives.

Don't be too quick to toss aside that Opinel. A drop or two of melted wax in the joint will vastly improve the opening of your knife.

I think the Opinel ticks all the boxes for a picnic knife. It is light, easy to sharpen, gets screaming sharp and yiu wont cry so hard should the knife get lost at the picnic sight.

Don't be afraid to modify the blade or handle to your liking or even dissemble the knife to improve it's opening.

Back