what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update after some time - I am in the process of reducing and reshuffling my little pocket knife "collection" (not sure I would call owning some 5 pocket knives a collection).

I now have a Gayle Bradley 1 (also tried the GB2, but kinda prefer the GB1) for which I plan to make new micarta scales. I recently got a Para 3 in Cruwear and smooth G10 (was some kind of limited dealer release) - I payed way too much for it and now I am not sure I want to keep it - those scales have very little in the way of chamfering. I love the knife as concept/design though.

One knife that I got attracted to once I learned about its existence is Spyderco Brouwer. I was mulling over it and Spyderco SpyOpera for a long time, finally ordered both and kept the Brouwer. It is super pleasant in hand (the ergonomics is crazy good), the finish of the Titanium is awesome and I even love the green G10 scale. We are "buddies" now. Yes, the edge-to-handle ratio is on the funny side, but I actually do not care as the edge is simply long enough for small everyday duties.

One knife that I can't stop looking at is the super weird Spyderco Schempp Bowie. Yes, not the most practical knife on the planet, but man it looks cook and that thin blade would actually work for me. I will be getting my hands on one once the availability improves.

On a separate note. I have been looking to get a pocket knife for a little tougher tasks that just opening letters and slicing apples - and I am slowly getting to the point of accepting the fact, that I should probably be looking more seriously at a smaller fixed blade knife (something like Bradford Guardian 4). Maybe I should man up and make myself a fixed blade knife.

... some photos will follow eventually ...

That Kershaw looks thicc behind the edge.
IMG_20210321_010909215_MP.jpg

It's actually fairly thin you can see in shaddow it is a hollow grind.

This what I use for carry. I have a Buck 297 I like and a Robert Trezuola clone as I cannot afford a real one. I have had these knives many years. I have a Buck 110 light weight with S30V steel I believe. I bought it and I have not actually used it.

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgp
Para2 Titanium clone and Ultratech clone.View attachment 134828

This being BoH, I have never responded here, but it is unfortunate to see clones being posted. They are a scourge to the knife community and cost us significant money. Just ask Sal Glesser how much they spend fighting them. You are surely free to spend your money as you desire but don't expect warm-fuzzies in the pocket knife world for those things.

Clones are just that, clones of an original product. They are almost exclusively PRC made and are becoming quite adept at the deception in both look and packaging. Although those examples shown have obvious issues that reveal their nature. They are NOT made from the same materials as the originals, even if they are marked as being such, are often unreliable and sometimes dangerous, steal IP from the original makers, and cost us all in the long run.

If Japanese cutlery continues to become popular, there will come a time when there are clones. The really unique stuff will obviously be more challenging, but I could easily see lines like Takamura being cloned some day if there is enough demand.

I remember Sal (Spyderco) telling a story about one of his trips to the PRC to find a trustworthy, quality dealer to partner with for their knives made there (and blatantly marked as such) and a man ran up to him bowing, shaking his hand and thanking him for making such a great product that they could clone and make money for themselves and their workers. The man had no idea of the infringement or cost or devalue of the original.

Like I said, I don't normally post in the BoH area, but clones...well, I would ask that people just say no.

This being BoH, I have never responded here, but it is unfortunate to see clones being posted. They are a scourge to the knife community and cost us significant money. Just ask Sal Glesser how much they spend fighting them. You are surely free to spend your money as you desire but don't expect warm-fuzzies in the pocket knife world for those things.

Clones are just that, clones of an original product. They are almost exclusively PRC made and are becoming quite adept at the deception in both look and packaging. Although those examples shown have obvious issues that reveal their nature. They are NOT made from the same materials as the originals, even if they are marked as being such, are often unreliable and sometimes dangerous, steal IP from the original makers, and cost us all in the long run.

If Japanese cutlery continues to become popular, there will come a time when there are clones. The really unique stuff will obviously be more challenging, but I could easily see lines like Takamura being cloned some day if there is enough demand.

I remember Sal (Spyderco) telling a story about one of his trips to the PRC to find a trustworthy, quality dealer to partner with for their knives made there (and blatantly marked as such) and a man ran up to him bowing, shaking his hand and thanking him for making such a great product that they could clone and make money for themselves and their workers. The man had no idea of the infringement or cost or devalue of the original.

Like I said, I don't normally post in the BoH area, but clones...well, I would ask that people just say no.
+1 for that.

Like you said, when you buy clones you aren't getting a quality product. You are hurting the disigners, and manufacturers. You're also wasting your money on an actual good knife you could have bought.

For those that don't know, clones are basically counterfeit knives made by another manufacturer to be passed off as the original (usually with a lot of corners cut).

I highly recommend going with budget options instead of a clone. Civivi has great stuff, even spyderco had the lightweight tenacious in s35vn for less than 100 dollars right now. As for switchblades, theirs the lightning otf.

With all of those you actually know you are getting what you ordered.

let's also not forget that just as we fight for our friends in the BOH to make a living wage, so too should the folks making anything, and that a cheap clone cannot possibly be paying the person making it a dignified wage.

yes the real thing may cost more but Spyderco's employees can go home after a long day's work and feed their families, and to me saving a few dollars isnt worth taking that away from them.

It's a knockoff, probably the only sane way to buy an OTF like the boba fett microtech due to the second hand markup.

It's an undeniable luxury item. The sane thing to do is either concede to whatever the price if you want it bad enough or just go without.

I've never envisioned supporting thievery for a pure want as "sane."

My Robert Trezuola clone was licensed to Spyderco and I believe made in Japan. I think my knife was $200 made by Spyderco whereas a real Robert Trezuola was $800 to $1000. When he quit making pocket knives, they jumped to $1600 if you could find one. They have a very nice feel in my hand. I carried it a lot. He was the Godfather of the Tactical folding knives.

Robert "Bob" Terzuola - Spydiewiki

PS
I think the knife was US made after reading the link above. I can't remember as it has been too many years since I bought it.

Last edited:
I own several original Spydercos (PM2, Edura, Delica, Tenacious, Resilience, Byrd series) so it's not like I don't support buying originals. Spyderco gets plenty of my money.

I highly doubt Microtech licenses the Bounty Hunter name or color scheme from George Lucas/Disney for their knives. The owner of Microtech has been known to do shady shi*t over the years. Google him.

The build quality of my clone PM2 is superior to my original and I carry it more. Titanium handle, ball bearing washers, dead center blade, solid lock up, precision machining.

If you think all clones are made of inferior materials, then I suggest you do some research. Check out luvthemknives Youtube channel. He sends them out to a lab and gets them tested for the blade steel used and Rockwell hardness.

I don't tell people to buy clones or not buy them. It's a free country, do as you like.

I own several original Spydercos (PM2, Edura, Delica, Tenacious, Resilience, Byrd series) so it's not like I don't support buying originals. Spyderco gets plenty of my money.

I highly doubt Microtech licenses the Bounty Hunter name or color scheme from George Lucas/Disney for their knives. The owner of Microtech has been known to do shady shi*t over the years. Google him.

The build quality of my clone PM2 is superior to my original and I carry it more. Titanium handle, ball bearing washers, dead center blade, solid lock up, precision machining.

If you think all clones are made of inferior materials, then I suggest you do some research. Check out luvthemknives Youtube channel. He sends them out to a lab and gets them tested for the blade steel used and Rockwell hardness.

I don't tell people to buy clones or not buy them. It's a free country, do as you like.
So what steel is in the spyderco clones? Does it act like it's supposed to?

Honestly the ones that aren't made with bad materials are almost worse in my mind. That means they have the capability of making a quality product, but instead of paying a designer, or collaborating with one. They make their money undercutting the people that actually put their blood, sweat, and tears into these designs.

They're also indirectly hurting the other designers/manufacturers they aren't actually ripping off. The products that are in those price ranges the clones sell for, are also getting effected.

I just can't morally support those kinds of unethical business practices. Thats just me though.

Edit: also patent, and copyright infringement are against the law here, even if it is a free country.

I apparently have commitment issues when it comes to pocket knives. Over the past few months I have sold both GB1 and GB2 and went through a brief possession of Para 3 LW in S90V ( a sweet knife, but the handle is a little too short for my taste). The only one I kept was the Brouwer (just love the thing) and got Caribbean for outdoor trips and Chief Native in Rex 45 for my workshop. But just got that Para bug and manage to source a second hand PM2 in k390 that is now on its way to the old continent. The time will tell whether I will like the PM2 better than the Chief. I also had a chance to handle the Schempp Brouwer and I am definitely getting that one - not the most practical knife on the planet, but super cool and surprisingly nice in hand.

8C127851-17A2-44A4-9682-C81F3B5C2EF4.jpeg

7CA5759D-AA64-4963-9B4C-43265576B4A1.jpeg

I apparently have commitment issues when it comes to pocket knives. Over the past few months I have sold both GB1 and GB2 and went through a brief possession of Para 3 LW in S90V ( a sweet knife, but the handle is a little too short for my taste). The only one I kept was the Brouwer (just love the thing) and got Caribbean for outdoor trips and Chief Native in Rex 45 for my workshop. But just got that Para bug and manage to source a second hand PM2 in k390 that is now on its way to the old continent. The time will tell whether I will like the PM2 better than the Chief. I also had a chance to handle the Schempp Brouwer and I am definitely getting that one - not the most practical knife on the planet, but super cool and surprisingly nice in hand.

View attachment 134842

View attachment 134843
My next knife is going to be a pm2 (hopefully in maxamet). Looks to be the perfect size, plus it has the compression lock.

I was pretty deeply immersed in the pocket knife world for decades. I've done my research. Luvthemknives is a joke who created a big ole s**t storm on the internet only to ultimately record a lengthy apology video admitting he was wrong. He removed the apology after the dust settled.

I don't support theft but hey, it's a free country. Do as you like.

I used to work with some Air Force techies - they were issued one multitool/ yr. They invariably went for Gerber over the Leatherman.

I used to work with some Air Force techies - they were issued one multitool/ yr. They invariably went for Gerber over the Leatherman.
Really? Did they say why?

I've always heard that the leathermans are a good bit better than gerbers multitools. I've heard the victorinox spirit is pretty good though.

I have had both and I like the Leatherman's better. But the Gerber is not bad. This was 10 years ago or so.

I use it as a pocket knife more than anything so I find the wave/charge style of the leatherman better than the Gerbers I have tried.

Benchmade 940 for everyday use. I'm left-handed so it's nice to have the ambidextrous axis lock. I've got a Spydiechef that's seen a lot of use in the past, but I haven't carried it regularly for well over a year. It's a user and anodized, so it doesn't feel worth selling. I used keep a GEC slipjoint in my pocket but the cool factor doesn't outweigh the inconvenience for me.

My Robert Trezuola clone was licensed to Spyderco and I believe made in Japan. I think my knife was $200 made by Spyderco whereas a real Robert Trezuola was $800 to $1000. When he quit making pocket knives, they jumped to $1600 if you could find one. They have a very nice feel in my hand. I carried it a lot. He was the Godfather of the Tactical folding knives.

Robert "Bob" Terzuola - Spydiewiki

PS
I think the knife was US made after reading the link above. I can't remember as it has been too many years since I bought it.
Are you sure Bob quit making pocket knives? I know he quit taking orders but he sells everything he wants at big shows like Blade and USN. For what its worth, I've been carrying a custom left hand Terzuola folder off and on for many years. Kind of my special travel knife because its titanium frame makes it very plain looking. Customs agents and the like seldom give it a second glance in my baggage.

Latest posts

Back