what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the thinness a lot. The xhp steel is great. The only thing I don't like is that when I am using it to cut up boxes, which is mostly what I use for, I tend to catch that little thing that sticks out at the heel which annoys me. I would like a longer, less curvy blade shape.

Ah, okay.

I have an Endela in K390 that does a lot of carboard duty and I love it. And I'm not overly in love with the handle and do some sanding on them.

If I was really focused on cardboard I might consider an Endela Wharncliffe.

I used to like to carry a PM2 when going to picnic or bbq type of deal, but after reviewing the Canadian laws, PM2, and any other compression lock for that matter, might fall into prohibited category depending on how hard a LEO want it to be.
Carrying basic chaparral now. Love the knife and how it carries.

I like the thinness a lot. The xhp steel is great. The only thing I don't like is that when I am using it to cut up boxes, which is mostly what I use for, I tend to catch that little thing that sticks out at the heel which annoys me. I would like a longer, less curvy blade shape.
That would be very easy to solve with a dremel or grinder. You could keep the curve but make it less spiky and more smooth.

Emerson Mini Seax
IMG_3925.jpg

Any of you guys use Buck knives? They can be special ordered in different steels. I always thought they made a good knife.

Any of you guys use Buck knives? They can be special ordered in different steels. I always thought they made a good knife.

The first knife I ever bought with my own money was a Buck 102 Woodsman. I have and still do own a number of Bucks with a custom shop 501 being one of my favorites. And I've gifted several.

I only live a couple dozen miles from the plant so they are quite common around here. Buck has made a lot of adjustments to try to continue to serve the traditionalists but also capture the modernists. But, for me, they have one major issue and that is that far too many of their offerings these days use recurved and/or overly thick blades. This I guess is to appeal to the crowd that likes to look at their knives more than they like to use them but those blade profiles are full stop for me. Recurves are a no-go no matter who the maker is.

A lot of folks will say they don't offer enough steel variety and obviously the addition of S30V and S35VN to the lineup shows they recognize that their Bos 420HC is lacking no matter how much they push that heat treat.

Last edited:
But, for me, they have one major issue and that is that far too many of their offerings these days use recurved and/or overly thick blades. This I guess is to appeal to the crowd that likes to look at their knives more than they like to use them but those blade profiles are full stop for me. Recurves are a no-go no matter who the maker is.
+1

@coxhaus I think it's definitely worth stepping up to something like a spyderco. Something like a sage 5 lightweight will get you top tier s30v or m4 heat treatment, a nice thin grind and stock, great smooth action with a pivot pushing, all for around $150, or a chaparral for around $100, and that's how much you would pay for a s30v buck 110 anyway.

I have a Buck 110 s30v light weight. I bought it many years ago for around $70+. I also have a Ti version and a standard light weight 420C.

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

Last edited:
The drop point S30V 110 offering in Buck custom shop looks interesting, tho I'm not sure if I need a such large knife. I'm also quite interested in some Cold steel offerings like Recon 1, Ultimate hunter.

New sprint run Aogami Super Delica 4 just came in (bottom), I still hate the handle color but it's a little more subtle in person than what the camera picks up. Worth it to try the steel. Came shaving sharp out of the box.

Top is an untouched Endela I ordered to replace the assumed-lost Endela with a rounded and halfass fixed tip, which is my primary work knife. Of course I found it as soon as the new one arrived.

I used to rock a Delica before losing it and moving to the Endela, going back to the Delica it feels noticeably smaller in hand. The blade size is fine but the handle feels smaller than this side by side would have you think.

View attachment 231456
An update to this: the little Delica has become my favorite "going out"/non work knife where I value the smaller pocket presence and don't need the extra size of the Endela or (not pictured) Kershaw Blur. Very happy with Spyderco's aogami super, it's the sharpest factory pocket knife blade I've received.

Yeh I would say decent compared to some other folders or automatics. Two sharpest Spyderco out of box were super Blue & para
military M4 steel. Been using it hiking still haven't sharpened it yet. Will do it soon. The K390 edge was sharp but not up to my picky standards 😕. I'm going to use it more to see how edge holds up. Then look forward to see
how sharp I can get it.

I don't switch up my pocket knife because I've got a narrow band for what works for me both as an EDC and fits the bill for how I use it at work. So basically the only time I have anything to post in here is if one goes missing, and that appears to have happened on Saturday (lots of squatting, noisy room, seems like it popped out unnoticed). So this is one I've had for over 20 years now, just sitting in a case:
PXL_20230422_202256875.jpg
PXL_20230422_202312865.jpg
PXL_20230422_202318734.jpg
PXL_20230422_202325301.jpg

I knew very little about it when I bought it, and that's honestly still the true. Feels very well made, the anodized metal on the handle is oxidizing, but it was that way when it arrived to me. The action is wonderful, the details on it feel nice in hand, and I'll be happy to get a uniformly thick edge bevel on it as time goes by.

When put a very sharp edge on older ZDP189
Spyderco delica started using it as everyday carry. Recently my nephew came to Hawaii for some FBI business I gave the Delica to him. Thought what would use for carry before used Ken Onion design 1660 Kershaw Leek. Sandvik 14C28N. One of my earlier folders. After that used Hap40 Spyderco delica. Ended up going back to the Kershaw Leek. Always liked that blade. Sharp pointy tip, slim folder 2.43 oz. About same weight as some Delica's. Just curious looked knife up found that one of most popular Kershaw folders. They still sell the 1660 leeks today same hollow ground pointed tip blade old Ken Onion design. Think the price has gone up honestly don't remember what I paid for mine years ago. In 60 - 70 $ range now. So not to expensive compared to many quality folders. Folder still a good carry blade not heavy, slim. Blade after many sharpenings & tip thinning
IMG_20230502_233452168.jpg

image.jpg

Back