What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm shopping on the cheaper end of the market for a watch for my girlfriend right now. She's not into this, just want a nice watch, and she's none too careful neither. If you guys have any suggestion of what is well made at a very decent price, have at it.

Otherwise I think I'm starting to see why the love for watches... Been browsing them for two days, and the more I look at various hands, the more I see knives geometry :p ... That one a laser, oh this one is even worse than my Moritaka... and look at that one, ain't that the most perfect convex grind you could possibly imagine, and the choil seems perfectly rounded and smooth.
Accutron makes some very nice ones. Very well made.

Seiko and Citizen make good watches at good prices. And they are consistent enough in quality that you can go with a grey market vendor for a more expensive model with little worries about not having a manufacturer's warranty (online vendors like jomashop, certifedwatchstore, etc.). Plus Macy's, etc. all have decent sale prices this time of year.

I bought my wife a fancyish Citizen about 10 years ago from certifiedwatchstore. Never had any problems or issues with the vendor or with the watch.

I'm shopping on the cheaper end of the market for a watch for my girlfriend right now. She's not into this, just want a nice watch, and she's none too careful neither. If you guys have any suggestion of what is well made at a very decent price, have at it.

Otherwise I think I'm starting to see why the love for watches... Been browsing them for two days, and the more I look at various hands, the more I see knives geometry :p ... That one a laser, oh this one is even worse than my Moritaka... and look at that one, ain't that the most perfect convex grind you could possibly imagine, and the choil seems perfectly rounded and smooth.
The watch game is another thing. Wasn't only in the last 10 years (I'm 43) I was able to get anything worthwhile i.e. resellable. If you don't have too much to spend, find out her likes and get a name brand. I like Seiko, Oris, and Movado for decent but cheaper watches.

define “cheaper” ;-)

Hard to beat Tissot for a combination of looks, quality and value. Especially if the crystal is sapphire (scratch-proof).

Agreed. Transforms a regular speedmaster into a more formal-looking watch. The sapphire steals the watch's soul 😢 I have one that I can think of (blue CK2998 LE from a few years ago), and I never wear it. I have another that uses sapphire, but it is a DSotM variant that isn't really a Speedmaster at all when you think about it, and I don't mind the sapphire on that one.

Agreed. Transforms a regular speedmaster into a more formal-looking watch. The sapphire steals the watch's soul 😢 I have one that I can think of (blue CK2998 LE from a few years ago), and I never wear it. I have another that uses sapphire, but it is a DSotM variant that isn't really a Speedmaster at all when you think about it, and I don't mind the sapphire on that one.

way too many Speedmaster variants anyway. I do like the Marks though ....

Display backs don't really do anything for me. When you are wearing the watch it's not like you can see the caseback. My PO and the DSotM variant both have display backs and I can count on one hand how may times I have gazed through them to admire the movement -- and two of those times were probably when I took them out of the box the first time to try them on. I find some of the metal casebacks more 'interesting' then seeing the movement. Maybe part of that is because the ones I have are automatics, so the rotor blocks a lot of the more interesting pieces.

i have the speedmaster sapphire sandwich. getting a watch with a plastic crap crystal that scratches as soon as you look at it was never an option for me, since i actually use my watch as my daily driver. wouldn't buy any quality watch with mineral glass either. ever. the sign of the pos.

if i ever get a new watch it will be a grand seiko or the citizen equivalents "the citizen" ザ・シチズン 製品検索[CITIZEN-シチズン腕時計]

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/citizen-orient
:eek: SBGH277 | COLLECTIONS | グランドセイコー公式サイト

the only other alternative for me is a tricolor zenith el primero CHRONOMASTER El Primero - 38mm steel case and bracelet - 03.2150.400/69.M2150

Display backs don't really do anything for me. When you are wearing the watch it's not like you can see the caseback. My PO and the DSotM variant both have display backs and I can count on one hand how may times I have gazed through them to admire the movement -- and two of those times were probably when I took them out of the box the first time to try them on. I find some of the metal casebacks more 'interesting' then seeing the movement. Maybe part of that is because the ones I have are automatics, so the rotor blocks a lot of the more interesting pieces.
Depends on the movement. Trust me, when you have this level of finish you want a display back

JLC_Geophysic_True_Second_back_560.jpg

i have the speedmaster sapphire sandwich. getting a watch with a plastic crap crystal that scratches as soon as you look at it was never an option for me, since i actually use my watch as my daily driver. wouldn't buy any quality watch with mineral glass either. ever. the sign of the pos.

if i ever get a new watch it will be a grand seiko or the citizen equivalents "the citizen" ザ・シチズン 製品検索[CITIZEN-シチズン腕時計]

the only other alternative for me is a tricolor zenith el primero CHRONOMASTER El Primero - 38mm steel case and bracelet - 03.2150.400/69.M2150
That 'plastic crap' went to the moon and back several times. It was specifically spec'ed for its properties. The good thing about hesalite is that scuffs and scrapes can easily be polished out and doesn't induce optical distortions and reflections that sapphire or mineral glass can (depending on the design of the crystal-Blancpain and Omega's are poor IMO).

Last edited:

Good choice, love mine.
13780848_zoom_v1579736956856.jpg

My Tintin is my daily wearer, and has been for over 3 years. It sees a lot of desk time, but also goes out to a lot of project sites. Scratches have not a problem/ issue; I bounced it off something once and put on a small one, and there was one on it already when I bought it slightly used. On a side note, I had a Seiko with sapphire glass that was a daily wearer for close to 30 years and I had to have the sapphire replaced twice due to cracks.

That 'plastic crap' went to the moon and back several times. It was specifically spec'ed for its properties. The good thing about hesalite is that scuffs and scrapes can easily be polished out and doesn't induce optical distortions and reflections that sapphire or mineral glass can (depending on the design of the crystal-Blancpain and Omega's are poor IMO).

thanks, i already knew that. my speedmaster has so far survived 1 car crash where i was hit by a car when riding my bike and the crystal got hit twice., then it has survived about 5 other bike crashes. then a drop on concrete floor from about 1,5m. so the sapphire is plenty tough as it is. no need for plastic.

if you want to polish out scratches thats up to you, i simply prefer my crystal not to scratch at all.

I mean: it’s personal preference, therefore tough to argue!

For me, if I’d create a watch from scratch (no pun intended), I’d go with a sapphire glass. I’d also go with a mechanical watch. I’d probably go with something that you can wear with a suit and jeans, something like the Rolex Explorer. And something that is seriously waterproof.

The Speedy is an exception for ME because of the historical significance. That’s the watch I’d want as close as possible to the original.

I think it’s one of the few watches where discussing technical superiority Is a moot point.
To me that’s like comparing the cushion technology of a modern running shoe to that of a Chuck Taylor.

I wish I read more about Jomashop before ordering, I've never been more disgusted with a retailer in my life. Basically a few nice Christmas gifts just turned into an almost 5 figure battle. Buyers beware.

Thanks, it's just frustrating around the holidays. I'm sure I'll get my money back through the bank and reordered authorized elsewhere in the mean time. I've only had good experiences with grey market cameras, so that's a lesson learned with watches.

My parents turned 60 this year and my grandma was the old lady slinging fake Omegas in the projects when they first immigrated in the 80s (she used to trade eggrolls with crips for protection 🤣😂), so I want to give them real ones this time around. They were born undocumented in jungles and it feels like a good way to say we've come a long way.

Thanks, it's just frustrating around the holidays. I'm sure I'll get my money back through the bank and reordered authorized elsewhere in the mean time. I've only had good experiences with grey market cameras, so that's a lesson learned with watches.

My parents turned 60 this year and my grandma was the old lady slinging fake Omegas in the projects when they first immigrated in the 80s (she used to trade eggrolls with crips for protection 🤣😂), so I want to give them real ones this time around. They were born undocumented in jungles and it feels like a good way to say we've come a long way.

that’s awesome!

which ones are you getting?

Back