What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fossil Gen4 for me, but I have an IPhone. I like the looks of the Fossil watch a lot more than the square Apple watch

Anyone can give advice for a automatic watch
for under 1K. Seiko makes some quality movement in non premium brand that are reasonable. I don't care about name brand if price is too high. It's not for prestige.

Never had a auto watch. I know Rolex in 1950's
made movement that was a game changer.

I gave up on battery watches like G-Shock because we time to change battery not waterproof anymore. Solution Eco Drives.

There is something about the purity of all mechanical movement to perfection level.
That is the draw for me and I have never owned
one.

I sold my Rolex years ago because it was not as accurate as a G-Shock watch. Plus, it cost a lot to have it cleaned. I could buy a G-Shock for less than a cleaning.

I like the Apple watch a lot better than my G-Shock watch. The built-in timers are great for cooking on the Apple watch. I would never go back to an old-style watch.

Surfing used G-Shock had to know when to get out of water esp. for work (nights) start at 3pm. Whenever battery ran out & would have it changed would fog up & quit working.

Swore off watches that need battery change
after it happened several times.

Sure Apple watch is functional can program it to your specific needs. Of coarse Smart Phones tell time so who needs watches?

Don't see watches suffering from technology
like newspaper ads because of Craigslist & countless other parts of life that have gone under or are under stress because technology
Is a better solution. Of coarse I could be wrong
time will tell if mechanical watches will go the way of old wind up pocket watches.

you can get the battery changed with a guarantee that the watch remains watertight, think they swap the seal too...lot more expensive but it can be done. I stopped wearing watches like 10 years ago so mine sites on the desk, showing te correct time twice a day.

Anyone can give advice for a automatic watch
for under 1K. Seiko makes some quality movement in non premium brand that are reasonable. I don't care about name brand if price is too high. It's not for prestige.

Never had a auto watch. I know Rolex in 1950's
made movement that was a game changer.

I gave up on battery watches like G-Shock because we time to change battery not waterproof anymore. Solution Eco Drives.

There is something about the purity of all mechanical movement to perfection level.
That is the draw for me and I have never owned
one.

I'd strongly recommend Seiko here - their dive watches have long had a reputation for being very hard wearing and robust. The SKX007 (and variations of it) is something of a cult watch, it's now discontinued but you should be able to pick up relatively easily still for under $500. Though prices have crept up a bit since production stopped it seems.

The line of dive watches that replaced it I'm sure will be good too, but the 007 is a modern classic.

You can’t go wrong with Seiko and it’s affiliate brands. I recently bought a Christopher Ward as a gift for my nephew and was very impressed by the quality of watch for under $1000. If you are open to a used one then there are several German brands that fit your criteria. Stowa is one that comes to mind immediately.

The other nice thing with an Apple watch is if you are wearing a mask you can still unlock your iPhone if you have an Apple watch on. It is frustrating wearing a mask and using an Apple iPhone 12 with face recognition.

Have o KU heard great things about Seiko. They look fantastic too

Something nice and more tactile about mechanical watches - i used to hate running out of battery, and bringing it in to change battery at a shop

I went from a Tag Heuer dive watch I bought many years ago when I was a divemaster to now wearing an Apple Watch Series 5. This was the first series with the ECG function and I wanted to be able to verify I wasn't dead, yet.

I love the timers on the Apple watch for cooking. I don't have to look for my iPhone to set a timer. My watch is always with me.

My Dad’s vintage Nautilus (1980s?)…
0C671629-10D9-4A1E-AD10-71A08DA8B63D.jpeg

For your viewing pleasure - wore this out grocery shopping today - it’s simple, but nice

View attachment 130171

What an impressive piece!! Wear it in good health, mate.

Vacheron is having an exhibition in Singapore, currently they're offering free service (I'm guessing might cost as much as a honyaki or two?) for your American 1921 if submitted through the Singapore boutique. So in case you have got a relative or a mate in SG....

Now, staying on topic. Here's one of my G-Shocks next to something produced in the USA in 1920s.

29449697265_e65c1f46d0_k.jpg

I saw a SKX 007 on eBay very reasonable price.
When checked it again was sold. It is a good looking watch.
Did you end up finding an automatic watch yet? Reddit r/watchexchange is probably your best bet. You can usually get a good quality SKX or other Seiko diver for under $250 any day of the week, and there's always a ton of good deals to be found there. I like longislandwatch.com too, if you're looking for something new and not used.

I'll check it out. My beater watch is over 20 year old Titanium Eco Drive. Can't believe after all it's been through it's still working. It's showing its age.

Want a do it all watch that looks good.
Looking at Traska free diver mint 3 the latest version.
Know it's not everybody cup of tea, I like the water over sand light green face.

This is a custom, if you’re particular custom is the only way to go 😉

Attachments

• CC450463-7A54-4A56-9244-C4111E89DF4B.jpeg
    CC450463-7A54-4A56-9244-C4111E89DF4B.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
nothing at all - have many Seiko , Jules Jorgenson + etc. - but i check time on my 15 year old flip phone -

I like the look and overall quality but power reserve isn’t the best, sometimes I prefer wearing a simple quartz
FA3452CE-E14F-4E3C-B99C-7C816A350633.jpeg

I just went to an Oris boutique today. Is this the river’s watch - Aquis?

Oris is a great watch company, they are located 30 min from where I live
Correct Oris Aquis
bracelet and bezel are top quality even when side by side comparison to Rolex or omega divers
power reserve is only about 24 hours so have to use a watch winder

Can't believe it my titanium eco drive finally quit
after over 20 years. I know had it before 9/11 .
I was surfing that day when trade towers came down.

When brother was here gave him one of my eco drive dress watches.

Now I need another beater watch can do yard work, exercise, with a non scratch crystal like old titanium watch.

Went to Macy's today checking out watches. Next week sale 20% off & another 15% when use Macy's card.

Was looking at Seiko latest version of Orange Bullet dive watch. Several others including another titanium eco drive. Case & band light tough watch. They cost more now than over 20 years ago but with all the discounts much cheaper than on line.

Back