What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what is on my wrist today.
View attachment 109484
That said, if anyone wants to part with their SS Sub at a reasonable price, please hit me up! Never owned a Rolex and can't be bothered to kiss up to a local AD enough to get on the "friends and family" list.
Nice! Use Watch Recon to search for used watches. Plenty of good ones out there.

Nice! Use Watch Recon to search for used watches. Plenty of good ones out there.

agreed! There are quite a few of them for sale, especially in the US.

Now, if you want to buy new for retail .... that’s a lot tougher. You need to be a good customer, or need to have connections. Or you need to be like this guy I know who does consulting work for a jewelry chain and gets paid in Rolex .... I kid you not.

Now, if you want to buy new for retail .... that’s a lot tougher. You need to be a good customer, or need to have connections. Or you need to be like this guy I know who does consulting work for a jewelry chain and gets paid in Rolex .... I kid you not.
Nice gig if you can get it🙂

See, that is what I want. I would love to find new at retail. But I'm a terrible butt-kisser and I am typically just honest and direct. I don't want to have a drink at my AD. I want to spend money. That's tough with Rolex AD's from my limited experience. If anyone knows a friend of a friend who can make magic happen, you know where to go. The other one I'd look at is the Hulk, I love the Hulk, but I'm not paying $17,000 for one when they were like $8,000 originally.

See, that is what I want. I would love to find new at retail. But I'm a terrible butt-kisser and I am typically just honest and direct. I don't want to have a drink at my AD. I want to spend money. That's tough with Rolex AD's from my limited experience. If anyone knows a friend of a friend who can make magic happen, you know where to go. The other one I'd look at is the Hulk, I love the Hulk, but I'm not paying $17,000 for one when they were like $8,000 originally.

hulks are lame anyway.

if you can verify the provenance, pretty much all the pre-maxi/ceramic stuff is more tasteful imo.

there are plenty of "reasonably" priced two line subs, pepsi gmt IIs and 116520 daytonas out there. these three "basic" watches are still my favorites.

but I strong agree, you shouldnt have to beg someone to sell you something. it aint a privilege to buy something, it's just a ****ing transaction.

hulks are lame anyway.

if you can verify the provenance, pretty much all the pre-maxi/ceramic stuff is more tasteful imo.

there are plenty of "reasonably" priced two line subs, pepsi gmt IIs and 116520 daytonas out there. these three "basic" watches are still my favorites.

but I strong agree, you shouldnt have to beg someone to sell you something. it aint a privilege to buy something, it's just a ****ing transaction.
Totally agree on the GMT's and Daytonas. But right now, the pricing on those is out of this world on the secondary market too. I haven't found any decent two line subs, but will keep looking. Do you always buy box and papers? That's the only times I occasionally see a reasonably priced Rolex anymore. I saw a nice Polar Explorer II for $8350, 11 years old, no box or papers, but in great shape. Incidentally, that is the going rate for a brand new one from an AD.

What don't you like about the Hulk? I think the green starburst dial is pretty neat in the certain lighting.

Totally agree on the GMT's and Daytonas. But right now, the pricing on those is out of this world on the secondary market too. I haven't found any decent two line subs, but will keep looking. Do you always buy box and papers? That's the only times I occasionally see a reasonably priced Rolex anymore. I saw a nice Polar Explorer II for $8350, 11 years old, no box or papers, but in great shape. Incidentally, that is the going rate for a brand new one from an AD.

What don't you like about the Hulk? I think the green starburst dial is pretty neat in the certain lighting.

I just dont think the hulk fits in with the point of a sub.

I grew up around boats/the ocean though, and still see the sub as the watch to have for that. My grandfather, more of the pilot type, was more into the GMT. I still consider these watches as partially being tools, more than prestige signalers. Again Im of the opinion that if you want to merely signal you have money, Lange and JLC are better choices, as they tend to go better with formal wear. Rolexes are best in steel, in the most typical color. This to me is the essence, and what Rolex does better than anyone else.

I bought my sub with only some of the paperwork, but the person I bought it from had other provenance, and it was a watch he had worn for years and not only did he have several other mega dollar watches, but was big into custom knives and we sold each other tons of those over the years before I bought the watch. At the time I bought it, let's just say it was a 'reasonable' purchase in comparison.

I wouldn't buy a watch today, with how the market is, if Im honest. Id only consider it if I had a friend who was looking to part with a watch I was interested in. I have the 2-line sub and sold everything else years ago, and have less interest than I used to, mostly down to simply just not wanting to wear a watch as much anymore. I still wear it when I travel though, as Im horrid with timezones, and I dont like having to look at my phone all the time.

my advice: call a lot of dealers and get on their lists. That’s pretty much all you can do to score a new at retail unless you have connections.

I know stories of people who bought 3-4 gaudy Rolexes at dealers just to get on their good side so they can score a steel Sub or Daytona when they come in. They walked straight to a grey dealer with the gaudy ones and sold them at a loss. It’s that crazy.

I agree with @tcmx3 though: pre Maxi case and ceramic bezel are much nicer anyway, unless you have massive wrists and/or like larger watches. I love the Faded bezels of older subs. I think it’s a watch to be worn and as such Patina is a badge of honor just like with carbon knives.

Regarding box and papers: by no means will they ensure that the watch is authentic.They can be and are faked as well and can also be bought separately (aftermarket)

for reselling purposes a full set is better, for sure. But if you buy it without papers you’re also paying less, so I don’t really see an issue apart from the fact that it’s easier to sell one with box and papers.

If you plan on keeping it, it really doesn’t matter imho. The older the watch the more likely it is that box and papers are missing.

If anyone knows a friend of a friend who can make magic happen, you know where to go.

that would have to be a really, really good friend.... and friend of friend.

either one would be forfeiting thousands of dollars by getting you a Sub at retail, as they could easily buy it themselves and pocket an instant gain (on paper) of 50% or so. I mean, for most people that’s a lot of money.

@alterwisser is correct (as usual😊) about getting on the list

I am on the hunt for my first sub. And first Rolex.

I went to an AD this week - she said I can place an order, put a deposit, and watch will arrive in 6 months

Other AD said, they have one across their retail locations in the US, which was being held for some guy, he could not pick it up, so they will see if they can give it to me - I will find out this week

The first AD, I had bought a $2K -$3K watch for my dad.

The second AD, I had been cultivating and had bought 1 sub and 1 IWC for gifts. The SS sub I bought 4 months ago - they had 1 in stock - it was a gift

But I usually walk into the store wearing a fancy watch😊 - I think that helps because they know I will be decisive. They get a lot of people who are talkers.

In Covid, some people have had watches held or ordered, but not picked up - maybe that’s your chance - get on a list

I have not had to kiss anyone’s butt - it’s kind of not in my DNA to do that, so have never done that in my life for anything. And you don’t need to do that with an AD

I like ordering new because of the security - it’s an expensive watch and you have to trust the movement is authentic. With pre-owned, you have to find someone really trustworthy. And I don’t like paying the secondary market premium

I would rather wait 6 months and get something new at retail, vs. pay more than retail ore-owned

These days I am more in the mode of looking for more watches than knives. Last 2 knife purchases were a DT ITK AEB-L gyuto for my wife so she would stop taking mine, and the Dalman group buy that is currently going one.

With Covid I have actually been cooking less, as my wife no longer leaves the house to teach evening classes so she is doing the bulk of the cooking. I don't do much knife work except on weekends right now. But I am going into the office every day, so I wear a watch daily. I may need to stop wearing my daily wearer soon, as they have shot up a lot in value. I bought it as my everyday beater watch in order to keep from damaging the other Speedmasters, but now it is worth more than all the rest of them. Watches (and watch collectors) are weird... :laughingchef:

These days I am more in the mode of looking for more watches than knives. Last 2 knife purchases were a DT ITK AEB-L gyuto for my wife so she would stop taking mine, and the Dalman group buy that is currently going one.

With Covid I have actually been cooking less, as my wife no longer leaves the house to teach evening classes so she is doing the bulk of the cooking. I don't do much knife work except on weekends right now. But I am going into the office every day, so I wear a watch daily. I may need to stop wearing my daily wearer soon, as they have shot up a lot in value. I bought it as my everyday beater watch in order to keep from damaging the other Speedmasters, but now it is worth more than all the rest of them. Watches (and watch collectors) are weird... :laughingchef:

I’d say collecting watches is a lot less weird than collecting kitchen knives .... and I have about 70 of the latter 🤭🤣

Anyone wants to trade watch for knives? 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve got plenty of the latter and want more of the former haha. Been using CCK cleaver almost exclusively for a while now. Might as well part with some of the higher end pieces 🤭

Id trade my sub but I already have all the knives I want. and some extras lol.

if you had a Gibson Collector's Choice 24 you want to trade though...

IMG_20210314_170928846.jpg
IMG_20210314_170911060_HDR.jpg
Couple minimalist Citizen Eco drive.
Leather for going out. Titanium for rest of the time. Not much but they work well

I just walk at night in the valley. Coming back is all uphill walk fast to get heart & lungs going.

Started using power cords for arms, shoulders etc. I had to my muscle tone was wasting away. It has helped some started out with weakest cord begining of covid last year up to second level cord last six months. Few more months hope to do reps with third level.

My better half counts her steps gets upset when didn't meet her quota for the day. She does zumba streaming on her laptop. Is a slave
to her Fitbit.

that second one is the hotness.

That's why it's my dress watch. Not that we dress these days. Fell in love with eco drives when was still surfing. 100w could stay out for hours never fog up, no batteries to change.
Melanoma changed all that.

Paid extra for titanium lighter than stainless steel. Citizen makes some nice looking eco drives have a few. Guess you could say I'm a eco drive collector mostly on Amazon points since use that card for everything.

Back