What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 849F0EEC-3AFD-4A17-9B0D-E5740BF67E8F.jpeg
    849F0EEC-3AFD-4A17-9B0D-E5740BF67E8F.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 45
Sorry indeed for your loss, It makes for a nice memento wearing it, every time you wind it or look to see what time it is ..great watch IMO, sophisticated, elegant, the choice of someone who is OK with himself.

I'd stick with the leather goes with the watch & you would not be wearing it unless special occasion. When Dave wants to be a sophisticated and elegant guy😀

The rest. Although, unfortunately, they don’t get worn as much as they deserve.
Dang! You have some “grail” watches there. The Daytona today has an 8-10 year wait at the AD unless you are VIP or just darn lucky. I take it the Daytona is the steel version prior to the ceramic bezels we have today

Sub is about 3 years, GMT about 5 years wait time currently

is the Panerai a 44 mm or 42? They make many sizes now, but before, they only made 44 or 45 and single-handedly started the big watch trend.I had never see a chrono in panerai, very fine indeed. Great looking watch!

be careful when you wear the Daytona - it is the most hyped watch today next to the Nautilus 5711. Here in EU - London, Spain, Amsterdam, there is almost a business where people steel Rolex from people I. Road daylight. Of course , many countries you don’t need to worry, but others you do

Dang! You have some “grail” watches there. The Daytona today has an 8-10 year wait at the AD unless you are VIP or just darn lucky. I take it the Daytona is the steel version prior to the ceramic bezels we have today

Sub is about 3 years, GMT about 5 years wait time currently

is the Panerai a 44 mm or 42? They make many sizes now, but before, they only made 44 or 45 and single-handedly started the big watch trend.I had never see a chrono in panerai, very fine indeed. Great looking watch!

be careful when you wear the Daytona - it is the most hyped watch today next to the Nautilus 5711. Here in EU - London, Spain, Amsterdam, there is almost a business where people steel Rolex from people I. Road daylight. Of course , many countries you don’t need to worry, but others you do

Thank you. Yes it’s the steel version. A friend picked it up by chance in Abu Dhabi when she walked past it in the window shop, she knew I was looking for one. When she brought it back I was terrified it was going to be fake but it was thankfully verified after its first service. Got it around 15 years ago. It does get a lot of attention but thankfully not negative.

The other I picked up in Switzerland when it had just been released. He said it would be desirable in the future. Guess he knew what he was talking about.

Yeh the panerai is a 44mm and the one I wear the most as the others look too small on my wrist. It’s never missed a beat either!

I really love your model of the Daytona too. Maybe one day

This one was from my grandfather and he purported paid US$110 for it back in the 50s. He gave me the watch in 1975 and i gave it to my nephew recently....it was serviced in 1984 for a princely sum of US$100.

BJ8A3372.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-08-27 at 11.42.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-27 at 11.42.26.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 19
  • BJ8A3358.jpg
    BJ8A3358.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 22
  • BJ8A3369.jpg
    BJ8A3369.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 18
Is this the place to ask about a watch recommendation?

I’m looking for:
  • $500ish (I know, I know, get ready for more)
  • Automatic
  • Screw down crown/100m
  • Clear back
  • Not a dive watch
  • Not huge
I’ve had two Seikos in the past, both started losing time or just stopped ticking in under 5 years. I’m tempted to give this one more try, but would also like to know what else is out there. Totally ignorant of the field.

Edit: also considering Vaer, which seems to tick my boxes

edit: the other option is getting my grandfather’s Accutron Astronaut repaired, but I’m a fan of automatics, and the memory lives on whether it ticks or not. Anyone have an opinion on these?

Last edited:
Is this the place to ask about a watch recommendation?

I’m looking for:
  • $500ish (I know, I know, get ready for more)
  • Automatic
  • Screw down crown/100m
  • NOT a dive watch
  • Not huge
I’ve had two Seikos in the past, both started losing time or just stopped ticking in under 5 years. I’m tempted to give this one more try, but would also like to know what else is out there. Totally ignorant of the field.

edit: the other option is getting my grandfather’s Accutron Astronaut repaired, but I’m a fan of automatics, and the memory lives on whether it ticks or not. Anyone have an opinion on these?

a few seconds over 5 years is pretty par for the course. stopping all together is unacceptable though. I dont know how serviceable Seiko 5s are and if theyre not I dont know if theyre really a great choice.

I havent seen much compelling in the under 2k automatic category other than Seiko and Nomos in a long time sadly.

I dont know how serviceable Seiko 5s are and if theyre not I dont know if theyre really a great choice.
The Seiko 5s have all had pretty simple automatic movements, and it looks like they recently upgraded the 5 Sports to the caliber 4R36, which has hacking and hand winding, some features that the older movement didn't have. It looks like a fairly simple movement, nothing too crazy about it, and the unbranded version, the NH36, can be had for pretty cheap.

Repairs/cleaning were more than sticker price, at least locally, so never had it done…
It would probably be cheaper to just have the movement swapped, rather than repaired to be honest. If you're looking at getting a new watch in the same model, I'd recommend at least getting a quote for it.

I was at watches and wonders in Geneva add saw a lot of watches I could not afford😂😂

but I can dream….so many Daytonas, so little time😌😌

Attachments

• 685968ED-6513-4A6E-88BB-47D8BD41CB0F.MOV
    42.3 MB
Ahhh…and let’s not forget nautilus..

All in front of me, but forever outside of reach😂😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_2783.MOV
    48 MB
Bumping this thread after I put the bracelet on this Ginault for the first time in 5 years. This is my daily wear watch and its the watch Rolex should be making..... 🤪
Controversial brand for some but for me the thing is perfection. Its hard getting a good picture of the gorgeous enamel dial. The tolerances on the case and bracelet and the machining shouldn't be this good for the price. Lets hope MassDrop IV is equally accomplished.

Bumping this thread after I put the bracelet on this Ginault for the first time in 5 years. This is my daily wear watch and its the watch Rolex should be making..... 🤪
Controversial brand for some but for me the thing is perfection. Its hard getting a good picture of the gorgeous enamel dial. The tolerances on the case and bracelet and the machining shouldn't be this good for the price. Lets hope MassDrop IV is equally accomplished.

Nice watches, and well made. But that guy got his start by making very high quality fake rolexes, so definitely not my cup of tea.

Nice watches, and well made. But that guy got his start by making very high quality fake rolexes, so definitely not my cup of tea.

Say what? Did I understand this correctly? That Ginault was somehow associated with fake Rolexes? and then now makes Rolex look-alikes that are good watches?

Say what? Did I understand this correctly? That Ginault was somehow associated with fake Rolexes? and then now makes Rolex look-alikes that are good watches?

I'm not really sure if that was a genune question or sarcasm, but yes.

More info on many places, but going deep here:

https://lexic.co/deepdweller/exposing-ginaults-illegal-past-tsung-chi-and-thomas-caddell
That said, I bought one when they were new (and before these stories broke). Great watch in terms of look and feel. Back then there were very steep discounts, I got mine for like 30% off list price just for buying. Others got even steeper discounts by promising to publish a review online.

I can also say that in my contacts with the company, they claimed to be American but any timed text in e-mails like "good morning" made more sense on Beijing time. And the watch was somehow passed through the EU customs wall without any mention of VAT on any papers.

I later sold it. Sometimes I regret it since the only submariner like watch I still have, a german Marcello C Nettuno 3 is lacking in some aspects, but it has been with me for more than fifteen years now and modified to my liking (e.g. removal of the date bubble).

Marcello 2.jpg

My question was in full sincerity-
Was completely unaware of this.

But really good to know

In the watch store today - tried on this - no purchases however

Attachments

• 72122ECE-C9D0-4949-A637-20FEE59C253B.jpeg
    72122ECE-C9D0-4949-A637-20FEE59C253B.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 0
Back