What do you use for cleaver storage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cleavers take up too much real estate on my magnets. I have a make shift little stand that I’ve been too lazy to finish, but it hold me three as long as the handles are alternating asides. I’m not crazy about it and now I have 4 cleaves so it’s redundant. Well, what you got?

image.jpg

Reactions: dan
I use sayas or I keep them in the box, if I don't have a saya. I've also just used a blade guard.

My meat cleaver has a hole in the blade and I actually had it hanging off my tool rack for a while. But I don't suppose any of you are willing to drill holes in your cleavers... :)
If you store cutting boards / butcher blocks flat you could slide some of them in between the board and the counter top. It's what I normally do with a few benchscrapers. Not sure how well that would play with carbon blades though.

It’s tough because I’m out of wall space and I don’t want to sacrifice counter space either. And putting them in a drawer seems like such a shame. I’ve put myself in quite the pickle. Perhaps some sort of standing lateral contraption that takes up very little counter space is the best solution

It’s tough because I’m out of wall space and I don’t want to sacrifice counter space either. And putting them in a drawer seems like such a shame. I’ve put myself in quite the pickle. Perhaps some sort of standing lateral contraption that takes up very little counter space is the best solution
Depending on your tolerance for ugly... I put magnetic tape on either side of a knife block and put the cleavers there. You could probably do a nicer job :) Put magnets in a nice thin piece of wood and then attach that to the sides of the knife block.

I use a bicycle rack - you know like the ones at a school or in a park... :p
Hold on now. Scaled down, if you have plenty of space? Not too shabby. Maybe a thin felt lining to protect the edge?

If you wanna go down that ghetto-solution road.... potholders would work. Ikea has both flexible/stretchable ones and static ones that are convenient for these kind of things, and I'm sure other stores have similar solutions. Works well for thinner cutting boards, oven trays, etc as well. But it's far from aesthethically pleasing.

I've got magnetic holders for most knives - I don't like them for cleavers because there is so much ferrous metal in contact with the magstrip that it's difficult to remove, and the wall mounts for the magstrip may or may not be up for the task. I eventually cobbed together some 1" furring strips to have one strip along the wall, 1x1" strips to provide appropriately space gaps and another strip on the outside. The knives dropped into the gaps and all was good. It was a cheap prototype that I intended to be used ot make a good one once any issues were identified.

But I'm not a "cleaver guy" and I got rid of all but one - which now lives in a drawer with a blade guard on it - largely unused.

I've got magnetic holders for most knives - I don't like them for cleavers because there is so much ferrous metal in contact with the magstrip that it's difficult to remove, and the wall mounts for the magstrip may or may not be up for the task. I eventually cobbed together some 1" furring strips to have one strip along the wall, 1x1" strips to provide appropriately space gaps and another strip on the outside. The knives dropped into the gaps and all was good. It was a cheap prototype that I intended to be used ot make a good one once any issues were identified.

But I'm not a "cleaver guy" and I got rid of all but one - which now lives in a drawer with a blade guard on it - largely unused.
Thanks for the info about the magnet bar, I'm still experimenting with how I'm going to hang my cleavers, theyre in a box for now.

Found long ago that long term use of the magnetic strip holders alters the appearance of the knives where in contact with the magnet. There was a darkened strip all the way through the thickness of the knife. Deep-sixed the holder. I have a couple of the large Wustof 30 knife blocks. There is a slot for a cleaver. Now need another.

Back