What do you use to cut spaghetti squash

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valued members of my knife family. If it clucks, is semi frozen, excessively cartilaginous, gets coated in olive oil to be roasted in the oven, or comes vacuum packed in plastic ... it probably gets one of these knives first. Haven’t chipped an edge on one of them yet.

71DB3542-19BA-49E5-86CB-6B63C604557C.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a victorinox and use 2 hands plus my body weight.
Oh boy. That's how people lop off a fingertip. Maybe get yourself a better knife if you're doing more hard squash cutting. Victorinox is great for light tasks like cutting sandwiches but I've seen a lot of carnage as a result of forcing kitchen knives to do tasks they are not designed for. Just a thought. Cheers.

I cut one of these the other day. It was super-hard, but easy to cut with a 680g Chinese cleaver. The weight really helps.
It seems too often we forget just how effortless the tough stuff can be when we use a suitable cleaver. Good call.

Oh boy. That's how people lop off a fingertip. Maybe get yourself a better knife if you're doing more hard squash cutting. Victorinox is great for light tasks like cutting sandwiches but I've seen a lot of carnage as a result of forcing kitchen knives to do tasks they are not designed for. Just a thought. Cheers.
You reckon a chainsaw is the safer method? Maybe a reciprocating saw?

I have an 8 in Mercer chef knife that I use for stuff like that. And to hand to kitchen helpers that I don't trust with expensive Japanese knives, if I am lucky enough to have some help. The forged Mercer is actually a fairly nice knife.

Whichever knife is sharp and handy.

Most recent few times it was Kippington 1095 differentially hardened laser.

I find that I do need to be pretty careful about technique with knives that are very thin behind the edge.

Actually, we have finally gotten through the last of last year's motherlode of spaghetti squash and we didn't grow any this year so I'll have to try to find some in a grocer.

I like a bolster on my knife when cutting heavy stuff.

I like growing spaghetti squash but it takes a lot of room so I only grow it once and a while.

I use just about any knife, cut it the other way though not through the stem - you'll end up with much longer strands.
I want to make sure I'm getting it right, cause I've never cut one of these: You're saying if I imagine it's a globe, I should cut on the equator, not on the north pole?

I cut the ends of the squash off so it stands solidly upright and cut it the long way, top to bottom. Less material for the knife to slice through that way so it goes easier. I have an 8" Wusthof chef's knife that I use for the really tough stuff, but I can't remember what I used last time I cut up a spaghetti squash, probably that.

I want to make sure I'm getting it right, cause I've never cut one of these: You're saying if I imagine it's a globe, I should cut on the equator, not on the north pole?

Yes, rub with oil/salt/pepper, and roast skin side facing up on a pan with a couple cups of water. The strands run around the "equator" and you'll usually get way longer strands doing it this way. It also depends a bit on how old the squash too, sometimes they are brittle and want to break.

I guess I expect more out of knives than most, I will break down coconuts with my fujiyama so a squash doesn't really worry me.

My wife never would cut things like large watermelons or spaghetti squash as she would always get me to do it. I finally showed her how easy it was to cut them with a large chef knife. She doesn't like large knives but she does like my big chef knife, a Henckel's 290mm chef knife. I have 2 knife blocks together side by side. I have started moving certain knives into 1 block which I have told her is my block only and her response was but not the big chef knife as she knows how much I like large knives. I thought it was funny.

I use just about any knife, cut it the other way though not through the stem - you'll end up with much longer strands.
this. i cut them into rounds..across the squash. longer strands.

knife? any of mine..except my Gyuto..no problems. i dont even pause to think about it. my chinese cleaver is pretty great at it.

Got a togo reigo wide bevel konofuji that falls through the hardest squash with ease

Got a togo reigo wide bevel konofuji that falls through the hardest squash with ease
What seems to make it work better?

Also, your sentence should be entered in some kind of competition for "most difficult to understand for N³s (non nife nerds) :)

What seems to make it work better?

Also, your sentence should be entered in some kind of competition for "most difficult to understand for N³s (non nife nerds) :)
Hahaha yeah lots of lingo there

I wish I could tell you what exactly it is, I guess it's just thin enough with the super subtle convexity I've got on the edge paired with the shinogi being sorta high up so it doesn't crack and wedge but also makes contact with the hira a non issue. It's just great at minimizing friction I think.

Hahaha yeah lots of lingo there

I wish I could tell you what exactly it is, I guess it's just thin enough with the super subtle convexity I've got on the edge paired with the shinogi being sorta high up so it doesn't crack and wedge but also makes contact with the hira a non issue. It's just great at minimizing friction I think.
Low friction and thinness I certainly get. I guess for understanding the rest I'll have to contact the hira myself. She probably doesn't work till tomorrow morning, that's OK. :)

It seems like when people know a hard squash might not be easy to cut, they may tend to look for a knife that's known to be tough and rugged, just in case; then the tough rugged knife turns out to be thick too, and it gets wedged. But I'll probably continue to do that regardless, because I'm more willing to spend time un-wedging my beater knife than searching for the pieces of my good one.

If I had a lot of squash to cut and minimal time to get it done, I'd probably have to do it differently. But the number of times per year I cut up squash, I can afford an extra couple of minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back