What do you use to open a coconut?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your pick. The last one also doubles as a coconut grater—genius.

Sowoll-Coconut-Opener-Knife-Stainless-Steel-Blade-Wooden-Handle-Coconut-Meat-Removal-Knife-Too...jpg

96ba9a0042a117a6218736685128e9cf.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 10.29.03 AM.png

H392934b89e384a67887764d33a164427j.jpg

SHOT_08_432+1.jpg

Am I missing something here... don't you just smack it against the ground in your hand? Why would you use a knife?!

Am I eating coconuts wrong? Is this going to be like it was with kiwis...?

It's been around 15 years since I tasted a coconut. A real one that is. We used to visit friends in Tully. A town in North Queensland. Mission Beach is not far from there. There's heaps of coconut palms along the beach front. We'd get as many as we could carry. I used a small hatchet to get the husk off then tap around the hard shell until it broke in half. Recently that memory came to mind and while at the shopping centre I bought a coconut. It was terrible, I don't know how long they are stored or in what conditions. It was already de-husked. Maybe I got a bad one, it was sour and put me off store bought coconuts

Is that crab edible? Looks like it might yield a decent amount of meat. Is that the crab that is being wiped out by crazy ants??
I have heard that coconut crabs are threatened. Not sure by what, crazy ants are threatening a crab from Christmas Island. It's a red land living crab. Can't remember what it's called

Is that crab edible? Looks like it might yield a decent amount of meat. Is that the crab that is being wiped out by crazy ants??

They are edible (I haven't), but as DJ says above they are increasingly endangered. Mostly I think from loss of habitat from encroachment by humans. I haven't about the crazy ants, but I wouldn't rule it out either. It's the kind of thing that happens down here ;)

Back