What grit do you finish your knives on?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After years of using waterstones i needed something else to play with. I now finish almost every general use chef knives on a soft Arkansas (Dan’s 8x3), perfect balance of tooth and refinement also push cut nicely.

I still use waterstones for thinning, general grinding and bevel setting.

the soft Arkansas is the easiest and fastest way to deburr an edge.

@Robert Lavacca Hey! Just want to know your thoughts on those Gesshin stones real quick since I've heard they are nice. :D
I have the Gesshin 2000, and it's a fantastic stone, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Good feedback, cuts quickly, and provides a great edge for my AS guyto. Great stone in the lineup, I have a Gesshin 400 which I use for rougher work, mainly for friends that give me their super dull knives to sharpen, and with that and the 2K, it's a great combo.

300? Usually stop my western style knives here. Only problem is the edge is so aggressive it likes to grab at the board when cutting. But wow does it cut!

Lol. Nope. Cuts through anything very well. You have to remember that for a Japanese stone that's quite coarse. But it's the same as a fine oilstone. Now if it stop on a 100 grit stone that's a mini saw blade!

Soft steel Shapton 2k. Nicer steel Naniwa 3k. Even more nicer steel ;-) King 6K. I'm thinking of getting a Naniwa pro 800 then leather strop and call it quits for when in a hurry.

Victorinox and other soft steel knifes normally Chosera 800, sometimes when I test with naturals, aoto give a nice edge.
Gyuto and similar Japanese I think I am most satisfied with Chosera 3000, hard aoto and a ohira suita. I don't have Aizu yet, and want to try this when I find a nice one.
For the single bevels I still work on this. Maybe it is a hard and fine Takashiama I am most satisfied with on the yanagiba/takohiki (white II and blue II) at the moment.

Back