What guides you, in purchasing a knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybett

Founding Member
Reaction score
1. I've got see myself using the knife. I don't need much of an excuse, but I at least have to imagine situations where I'd use it.

2. How much can I stomach to lose? Accidents are going to happen in the kitchen. Three hundred dollars seems to be my sweet spot. More expensive knives will have better fit and finish, handles, and might cut five percent better. I'd always have second thoughts about using an expensive knive.

3. Trying knives from different makers.

4. Not taking forum advice, and trying a different knife. When I picked up a Honesuki, the forum wisdom, was there wasn't much use for it. I de-bone a lot of chicken parts, and the Honesuki does a good job. A necessary knife? No, but I found I prefer it over a petty as a general utility knife.

So what guides your decisions?

Jay

Design. If I can't figure out the design I need from pictures, I will try to find a store I can hold one in. In Texas, that is almost or entirely impossible for quality cutlery.

I'm a utilitarian guy, and I while I like to be nerdy about steels and materials, and place uber-importance on good HT practices, a great tool is about great design--that is, total consideration for it's use. The best thing about great design is that it is free. It costs no more money to make a knife with less belly or more belly, or a spine that's rounded at the bolster, and squared off at the middle.

At this stage, I own or tried out a lot of the highly touted knives we talk about on the forum, aside from custom jobs. I'm still interested in learning but that's slowing down a lot. I guess now, I'm looking for the holy grail. Hopefully, I figure out what that is before Bill or Devin calls me up... Aside from that, the only knives I'm buying are impulse buys that Jon pushes on me, lol. It "helps" that I can hold and gawk at them while he's working me over. So far, every one has been a pretty cool buy in one way or another.

I think for a while my decision rule was 'I want one of each.' :rolleyes2: But I have slowed down considerably after I realized that I am not a collector and I am not a professional. For me, this means that as much as I like the idea of having a great handmade blade from every maker here, I will not appreciate it to it's fullest by using it extensively. And to be honest, I am not even sure I would be able to detect the nuances between some of the blades and steels, especially because I also happen to be a lazy sharpener. Once I realized that, all pressure to buy new knives miraculously fell off me ;) I am really happy with what I have, and my budget limit per knife excludes a lot of the high end customs. I occasionally look for something interesting but could live with not buying a new knife in the next year or two. I may be looking into trading and bartering options a bit more, though.

Stefan

Pro kitchen practicality. I use three knives. Petty, gyuto, and a suji. Buying a new knife is trying to improve on what I already have.

Pesky

1. I've got see myself using the knife. I don't need much of an excuse, but I at least have to imagine situations where I'd use it.

3. Trying knives from different makers.

These are 2 of the biggest factors for me. Then the actual knife I purchase comes down to design; blade shape, steel, grind, handle and material.

Usually after I spend a chunk of money on my girlfriend (well, after she spends a chunk of my money) I figure "well, if I'm going to be losing money anyways might as well get something I enjoy) and then order a new knife. Then later I realize this logic doesn't make sense but I forget and do it again later.

Usually after I spend a chunk of money on my girlfriend (well, after she spends a chunk of my money) I figure "well, if I'm going to be losing money anyways might as well get something I enjoy) and then order a new knife. Then later I realize this logic doesn't make sense but I forget and do it again later.

And at least knives get you into less trouble than trips to the nudie bar.

At this stage my "needs" are covered so the drive nowdays is slightly different. But not that different :p

1. Carbon steel, preferably KU
2. Does it fill a slot currently held by a non-KU/Carbon blade
3. is the handle large enough

These are the first things that go threw my mind when looking at a new knife :p

Im like my American Bulldog: when he sees something a other dog have and likes - he wants it and he wants it bad....

The voices in my head.

259335-animal_house_pinto1_large.jpg

I go with my gut. I'm always searching, but never really looking for a knife. If I see one that makes me become temporarily hypnotized, I research it (grind reviews, measurements, steel type, etc) and once I have convinced myself, it's game over!
So far, I haven't purchased a knife I wasn't impressed with, but I've tried many that made me go, "meh". Hopefully the luck continues.

I like to try out new/different steels/makers, then design after browsing sites for steel composition and reviews

I've got a good stable of knives, all that a home cook will ever need. So I just get new smiths that I'm excited about, or custom pieces whenever I find a tin full of $50s

Back