What happened to me?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadillac J

Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought my need for more was over, but it looks like I was wrong. I thought my appreciation for gyutos had fully transitioned, but I must of been mistaken. I didn't think I would purchased a cladded knife again that wasn't a traditional single bevel...well, you get the picture.

For some reason I thought I deserved to buy myself a new knife for Christmas, and I wanted to get something that would be more well-rounded with what's in my current collection...so I purchased a 270 Yoshikane Tamamoku V2 gyuto. Normally I am not a fan of patterns on blades as I like more basic designs, but the pictures that Takeshi sent me were appealing. The geometry of this 270 is ridiculous, and the picture below does not do it justice as you can't see the 1-1.5mm of hair-thin steel that is the edge. This thing is finished extremely well and I've never seen a saya fit so perfectly before, Takeshi said that they make each one to fit each specific blade--it shows too, as there is no pin in the saya and its snugger than any other I've had. The weight is so different than what I'm used to, as it has to be heavier than my old Hiromoto 300 wa-gyuto, yet its balanced well and a more blade heavy as I like. This is just a gorgeous knife all around.

Then I started thinking...I've always wanted to try SKD tool steel, so in my drunken state (figuratively) I also ordered a 240 SKD gyuto while the V2 was on its way, just incase I liked the steel and smaller size better than the 270...could always sell the one I don't want. The blade sizes between the 240/270 are so different and vary much more than any other maker I've seen. The hammer finish looks so much better in person (was something I didn't think I'd like originally) and the geometry is very good. I'm an octagon handle kinda guy, so I'll have to get used to a D-shaped. Both just came in, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet than snap a few pictures.

All I can say is that I am definitely impressed by Yoshikane, but I'm not sure which one of these I'll like best yet. I will get a full review done after I get some time sharpening and using each one of these, but thought I'd just start this post as I was excited to get something new after almost a year of hanging on the sidelines.

mvi87o.jpg

205xvu1.jpg

axnvaq.jpg

zmf6z9.jpg

a0xbgx.jpg

2w4z4fq.jpg

WOW - nice purchases! Yeah, you never outgrow the need to feed.

Can't wait to hear how you like each of the knives and the steels.

Where did you purchase them from? Cheers! mpp

Is the hammered finish an artistic thing or does it help with food release or both.

Very Nice!!! I have been eyeballin those for while, like twice a week for the last year.

Yikes!
That 270 looks completely Paul Bunyanesque compared to the 240 (or just maybe the photo perspective?).

Gorgeous knives... I've continued to love my 240 Yoshi skd through the current laser obsession. :happymug:

I'd like to see a comparison shot of that top one and a Shig. Looks real similar to mine! Nice stuff.

A year?! You are strong. I can't imagine going a year without a knife purchase...

i love my 240 V2 Yoshikane. great, great knife.

I'v bought knives, just haven't bought a Yoshi yet.
Haha. I wasn't referring to you, Mike. Caddy mentioned it'd been nearly a year toward the end of his post. :)

mpukas - purchased 270 from A-Frames and the 240 from EE (both 1st time buys from these places)

99 - hammer marks are left on (or put on) the less expensive Yoshis...can't comment if it helps with food release, but I don't think it will that much

add - its not the camera angle, the 270 is really that much bigger--not sure if its how all there knives are, or if it also has to do with being between different lines

eamon - I remember a post at KF from a ways back comparing Shig vs Yoshikane gyutos and showing how familiar they were...can't find it right now though

tk - it wasn't that tough originally because I had been content(temporarily) after getting my 210 petty and 270 HD suji at the beginning of this year and sold off everything else I didn't use that much...but sticking around on the forums is a sure way for it to all come back

Cadillac -- did you order a left hand 240mm? I'm assuming the second choil shot is from the 240...

Why would that second shot indicate a left-hand biased knife? Ignoring the fact that single beveled knives have an ura, isn't that how a right-handed single beveled knife would look? That is, the larger bevel (shinogi to edge) would be on the left in a choil shot like that (or on the right when holding the knife in front of you). Did that make any sense?

It's a matter of the edge asymmetry; the second choil shot looks like it has a 99/1 or 90/10 lefthand bias

That 270 looks awesome. One of those knives you see and sort of drift past because you haven't really seen anyone buying them before. I look forward to hearing how it goes when you use it more

A year?! You are strong. I can't imagine going a year without a knife purchase...

I must be odd man out here. Its been nearly a year since my last knife purchase and that one only happened because it was a graduation gift, and it came almost a year from the previous purchase, but I only own 4 knives total and only replace what wears out... so yeah probably odd man out.

Back to the topic though great looking knives both of them. I really like the look of that choil on the 240 an interesting grind to be sure.

It's a matter of the edge asymmetry; the second choil shot looks like it has a 99/1 or 90/10 lefthand bias

Oh I looked again and I can see how you guys see that. I saw the reverse, because it looked to me that the largest bevel was actually on the opposite side of the one you guys thought it was on (to me, it looks like it's on the left side of the shot, but I can see how it looks like it's on the right side).

Cadillac -- did you order a left hand 240mm? I'm assuming the second choil shot is from the 240...
It appears to have no bias or very little bias. The edge is roughly centered in the middle of the blade thickness. A bias occurs when the edge is off-center. The grind is not symmetric but it is not "handed" at least not very much so. It should cut fine and without much "steering." I wonder if food separation is better on one side or the other though.

The grind from shinogi to edge doesn't look handed on the second knife? It seems like one side has a much higher shinogi (left in the photo) than the other (right).

^
yep, that is the one. Thanks Rick.

It's not a left handed knife, but I can see what you mean from that picture above--the reflection from the window on the right side almost looks to make part of it disappear into the carpet.

Here is a different view:
2zxxwu0.jpg

The SKD was very easy to sharpen, but then again, there wasn't much steel that needed to be removed in this case. But I've only had a chance to use it minimally so I can't comment on my thoughts yet. Only put the 270 to my 5K but haven't made a cut yet with it...hopefully I get some time this week to do some cooking.

The grind from shinogi to edge doesn't look handed on the second knife? It seems like one side has a much higher shinogi (left in the photo) than the other (right).
It does look that way but the edge is still roughly centered.

Great score. I've got the 240 SKD Hammered Yoshikane gyuto, and just picked up the Yoshikane wood pattern damascus Deba 180mm (V2 edge). I can't get over how nice they are, and what a value they seem compared to similarly priced knives out there. I must have looked at the 240 version of your Damascus gyuto a hundred times before I broke down and got the hammered one. That wood pattern is just great.

I gave the gyuto a workout over Thanksgiving, and the week before when I had guests and a big dinner party. The thing just falls through food -- your 270 is probably even better.

Cheers,

Jack

Back