What happened to my Masakage?!?!?!?!?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisTheRed

Reaction score
Ive had this Bunka for a couple months and just noticed this crack(?) in the core steel. I use this knife every day at my job and have never dropped or mistreated it. have any of you seen this happen before? i thought this knife was going to last me for ever but now its failing after two lousy months.

thanks for your input
Christopher

IMG_20150107_181025_066.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now that is weird. Sorry but I have to ask - are you sure it is a crack? It looks relatively wide. If it is a crack - can you estimate how deep it is? I would assume there must have been a fracture in the material from the production and it just got wider (or more visible) with time. It is very close to handle and I can not really imagine that normal use could cause that.

The only advice I can offer is to contact the seller if you bought it new - your chance for replacement should be high.

Sorry for your trouble.

i cant tell exactly how deep it is.....i know my extremely thin paring knife only goes a mm deep if that....i sincerely hope its not any deeper than that...i got it from ************** and i hope they will take care of it although ive heard whispers of less that ideal customer service over there....im just a little distraught right now.

Maybe some over aggressive forging trying to draw the tang out or hitting it too cold , I am not sure if it will affect longevity of the knife but you will be aware your knife has a crack in it . Return it I would say

Chris - just drop them en email with the best image you can get of the issue. And yes - that site is banned here (some stuff happened prior I joined KKF and it probably must have been quite something if it went that far).

1mm deep may not be a problem for now, but if that crack opened just recently, it may grow in the future. And if it is a hairline fracture that only widens up at the top - it may be deeper than you can measure with a tip of a knife.

The evil monsters will probably take care of you if the knife isn't too messed up. I wouldn't have expected a post quench stress crack in that particular spot or quite that large, but strange things do happen sometimes. Perhaps a straightening crack, but honestly I can't really tell from the pic.

Mistakes happen and flaws sometimes slip through. The cladding ought to limit propagation if it's a crack through the core, but it's not something I'd be satisfied with.

Talk to the dealer and ignore the poo slinging that happens here.

There was another report of this same issue on a Masakage Koishi. Google search "Masakage Koishi Cracked."

Mowgs

The evil monsters will probably take care of you if the knife isn't too messed up.

Talk to the dealer and ignore the poo slinging that happens here.

Who's poo slinging now? :lol2:

BTW. it's not poo slinging when there's a damn good reason for it...like this knife that somehow slid through the fabulous qc dept at Walmart--sorry meant that "knife" store.:razz:

Just one more example of why that site's not allowed here;)

Who's poo slinging now? :lol2:

BTW. it's not poo slinging when there's a damn good reason for it...like this knife that somehow slid through the fabulous qc dept at Walmart--sorry meant that "knife" store.:razz:

Just one more example of why that site's not allowed here;)
Thank you for demonstrating what I warned the OP to avoid.

Thank you for demonstrating what I warned the OP to avoid.

Thank you for getting me to post in this thread...I walked away from it laughing last night...:razz:

You just make it too easy! I owe you a sincere Thank You!

Oh and btw, you slung the first poo slung in this thread when you called them evil monsters!:clown:

Apologies to the OP for the threadjack--sucks about your knife, good luck.

update....

Hi Chris,

That's nothing. Don't sweat it. That is the core steel and it's most likely a surface imperfection and it won't affect the knife or your use of it. If the knife ever breaks let me know and I'll replace it. :)

I love the Yuki! One of my favorite lines on the site. I hope you enjoy it too.

Kind Regards,

Mark Richmond

I see. I was guessing who is the vendor. BTW, is there a blacklist vendors?

I see. I was guessing who is the vendor. BTW, is there a blacklist vendors?

Just them...

BTW, just the "core steel" would not make me feel very good as that's the only steel that really matters.

If he'll take it back, get him to swap it out. Any other vendor here would do a swap/return. Give him a chance to do the right thing...only fair.

Just thought a bit more about that--"if it breaks, he'll replace it?" ***, it's already broke!

Cheers

just break it now and he will have no choice :pirate1: :justkidding:

I would try to ask for a replacement knife. That looks seriously wrong. It is doubtful the crack will become fully stressed and destroy the blade. But I'd try for another knife. "just the core steel cracked." Pretty funny really. If you don't get a replacement then enjoy using it.

for what its worth, what you are seeing will most likely not be an issue at all for the life of the knife in my experience. That, of course, has very little to do with the emotional side of paying for something and noticing something like that. The worst part is that even though its not really a big deal, it will be the only thing you see every time you look at your knife now. That being said, chances are its not really worth freaking out about. You can always drop a dab of CA glue in there to make sure water doesnt get in, but that would be it.

Sorry for OT, is there any where I can read about why and when that site was banned? Never heard about that and it feels like it's among the top three sites people usually recommend :O
OnT
I have two masakage koishis from them, hope they won't crack, just had them for about 2-3 months :|

Sorry for OT, is there any where I can read about why and when that site was banned? Never heard about that and it feels like it's among the top three sites people usually recommend :O
OnT
I have two masakage koishis from them, hope they won't crack, just had them for about 2-3 months :|

its just philosophical differences. Use this sites search feature and search for old threads if youre really curious. Not worth rehashing.

I'm with Jon. I think the biggest problem will be this crack, void, or whatever you want to call it interfering with OP enjoying an otherwise kickass knife. (I'm actually considering treating myself to one BTW.)

Worst case is over the course of time and use the crack propagates longitudinally through the blade. It can't propagate laterally due to the cladding. It could work far forward and OP may never know because the cladding provides the majority of the structure. It would likely never affect the performance of the knife unless and until the crack exits the clad on the edge side of the blade.

This flaw is in a pretty obvious area. I wonder what lies hidden beneath the cladding of any of our knives. We all might be one magnaflux or x-ray away from falling out of love.

Cheers,

Rick

Unless you start building houses with that knife, I seriously doubt that crack(or pit) will ever amount to anything. I can see how it would be an eye sore though. If it were mine I would round the spine and in the process try sanding down a mm to see just how far this black whole travels. It might reveal that this really is just a surface blemish, or give a little more evidence that this is indeed a crack. But I would discuss this with Mark first, before you alter the state of the knife. Who knows, he may be able to offer this service to you or point you in the right direction if you're not comfortable rounding the spine yourself.

Just my 2 cents

Send it back to Mark. He'll take care of you. I've returned knives to him for much less than a crack in the core steel. I wouldn't even consider keeping it. Also, if you do return it, please share your experience with the forum.

mark called me today and offered a full refund.....i told him i would hang on to it for now, but he insisted that i could return it at any time.....i feel i was treated fairly and intend to by a Yuki Gyuto as soon as i can afford it......thanks for all the input.

christopher

Good on Mark. You should probably take him up on it for peace of mind.

Cheers

mark called me today and offered a full refund.....i told him i would hang on to it for now, but he insisted that i could return it at any time.....i feel i was treated fairly and intend to by a Yuki Gyuto as soon as i can afford it......thanks for all the input.

Nice to hear that Mark treated you well. Personally I'd keep that knife and don't worry about that crack at all.

Nice to hear that Mark treated you well. Personally I'd keep that knife and don't worry about that crack at all.

If the shipping is not ridiculously expensive (read: if OP is in US), I would return it :)

Mark treats customers good, his service is good, the problem I think is his business model is about moving products at good profits at a fast pace. He'll more than likely return most things if they aren't abused or carelessly sharpened. My main gripe is that his entry level knives are not on the level of some other vendors. I think as you go up in price with Marks products you don't always get incremental growth in quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark treats customers good, his service is good . . .

There are others here, including myself, that don't agree with what you've written.

However, he most certainly moves as much product as possible. That's why his QC is lacking. That knife would have never been sold from the vendors here because it has an obvious flaw.

There are others here, including myself, that don't agree with what you've written.

However, he most certainly moves as much product as possible. That's why his QC is lacking. That knife would have never been sold from the vendors here because it has an obvious flaw.

+1

Is that really the case? It sounds to me like the guy noticed the crack after MONTH's of use as his post indicated. That said, I wonder if it was there from the start or if it developed over time/occurred after the knife was with the customer. If it was the first case, crack there from the start, then yes it would be a QC oversight from Mark but if it developed over time or wasn't present initially, how could Mark have known that it was there?

The issue isn't that clear cut *sorry it's a bad pun* and I feel it could be a bit hard to believe that the owner first noticed a crack after month's of use if it was present from day 1. Not saying that isn't the case just that it sounds a bit unlikely imho.

Back