What happened to Richmond Knives?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by AGC8, Feb 14, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 18, 2020 #61

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

I wasn't around for any of that drama. My opinion on them (CKTG) is, it depends on what you're buying. If they are selling a brand with reliable quality, regardless of retailer, then that's what you'll get from them. Where it gets a bit iffy/shady is the cheap, unknown stuff. You may get a gem in the rough, you may get a dud. And their house brand(s).

Hz_zzzzzz likes this.
  2. Feb 18, 2020 #62

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Would agree that CKTG has some very good Japanese made knives.
    He learned taking any new flavor of the month steel with crappy grinds did not work. Esp. since he put his name on them.

Japanese knives have some good bang for the buck blades that work well. He saw the advantage and took it.

The average person searching for a good knife is clueless. You find a bunch of Damascus with poor geometry and grinds.

10 best chef knife list are a joke

TV chefs put out their own knife sets more junk to keep them cheap volume makes them money.

Noodle Soup likes this.
  3. Feb 18, 2020 #63

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Never bought in the US because of shipping and taxes, but followed the first Togo-forum. Shocked by Mark's cynicism: advising a standard Misono to a left-hander, or suggesting to put a symmetric edge on it.

labor of love likes this.
  4. Feb 19, 2020 #64

tkern

tkern

tkern

Supporting Member

Sometimes I miss the swanky sword emblem next to my name.

NO ChoP! likes this.
  5. Feb 19, 2020 #65

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

Old Head

After it went dormant, my collection thread views went through the roof. It was in the tens of thousands, haha! Why cant I have that kind of clout when it matters? lol

6. Feb 20, 2020 #66

spyken

spyken

spyken

I thought Mark was an industry go-to? I must have been naive. Where's a reliable online shop these days?

Noodle Soup likes this.
  7. Feb 20, 2020 #67

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

For Japanese knives in the US, JKI (Japanese Knife Imports) is highly recommended. And Korin in NYC is probably the biggest, although many wait an buy during their annual or semi-annual sale. Carbon Knife Company and Home Butcher are coming up strong, although you'll see a lot of US makers there. Epicurean Edge is out on the west coast; they don't get mentioned much here, but they become very popular during their Black Friday sale.

But really, there is almost no reason to go anywhere else other than JKI if you want to by j-knives in the US.

adam92 and CiderBear like this.
  8. Feb 20, 2020 #68

vicv

vicv

vicv

I would add JCK. Koki has amazing customer service and good products at fair prices with cheap shipping. Buying a knife from him costs me $9 shipping and it's to my house in under 4 days from Japan to Canada. Buying from an American vendor would be $40+ shipping and take a couple weeks. How that works I have no idea but it prevents me from doing any business with an American vendor

inferno, esoo and Benuser like this.
  9. Feb 20, 2020 #69

Bensbites

Bensbites

Bensbites

I have no problem with Mark. Anything that happened, happened long before I joined the knife community. I can’t the the full story from anyone I have asked.

I have worked with Evan at StrataPortland, I know him from IG and here from the days before he opens his shop.

Noodle Soup likes this.
  10. Feb 20, 2020 #70

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Can't forget about Knives and Stones. Check out Instagram, Jon and James took a picture together :p

CiderBear likes this.
  11. Feb 20, 2020 #71

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

All of the above I can see how JCK would be a good option on shipping didn't know cost that much more for Canada.

Throw in A Frames a small in house operation with quality Japan knives.

M1k3 likes this.
  12. Feb 20, 2020 #72

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Bernal Cutlery has a good selection as well.

M1k3 likes this.
  13. Feb 20, 2020 #73

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

ProTooling as well

CiderBear and Michi like this.
  14. Feb 21, 2020 #74

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

Supporting Member

Wow.........Never knew of any (long time ago in a far away land) type of disputes regarding Mark and others.

I can only comment that I have bought multiple times from Mark (CKTG) over the last 4 or 5 years and have always gotten exactly what I ordered at a fair price....I researched what I was buying 1st and knew what I was getting so expected nothing more or less.
    I have only had 1 hiccup with an order out of over a dozen, and it was quickly and professionally resolved.
    I think his site offers as others have stated a wide variety of makers and lines and have plenty of options for people converting over to J-knives at a descent price point.

15. Feb 21, 2020 #75

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

I have purchased several knives from CKTG but more importantly, I used that forum to learn about Japanese knives after going to the Japan Woodworker's retail store closing where they had a lot of nice Japanese knives being demonstrated. I knew nothing about Jknives at the time so I did a search online to learn more and found cktg and kkf where I asked a lot of nob questions and started replacing my German knives one by one (and then some more). I've never had a bad experience at CKTG or other retail places like JKI, JNS, Tosho (where I bought my first Knife) or at any of the direct purchases from several knife makers.

I do want to acknowledge the massive amount of great information I've gathered on these forums in finding some very great kitchen tools!

Keith Sinclair likes this.
  16. Feb 21, 2020 #76

TSF415

TSF415

TSF415

Supporting Member

I think this post is about Richmond knives.

I don’t care about whether someone is pro or anti cktg. Save that for the popcorn recipe thread.

my Richmond artifex is atrocious. So bad that it made me actually dive into this forum and do some research to find a good knife.

ob-gym, chinacats, AT5760 and 3 others like this.
  17. Feb 21, 2020 #77
    I would also appreciate if this thread would concentrate more on the original question and less on everything else.

M1k3 likes this.
  18. Feb 22, 2020 #78
    Ha! It stayed on topic longer than I thought it would. A "normal" thread stays on for the first dozen posts before it gets to tangent junction.

Now whats the consensus on Moritaka?

inferno, Benuser, Carl Kotte and 2 others like this.
  19. Feb 22, 2020 #79

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Nice try! :)

M1k3 likes this.
  20. Feb 22, 2020 #80

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

[QUOTE="daveb, post: 675060, member: 1377]
    Now whats the consensus on Moritaka?[/QUOTE]

Is Moritaka better than TF?

21. Feb 22, 2020 #81

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Moritaka quality control has greatly improved since Mazaki starting making them.

22. Feb 22, 2020 #82

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

It cost $65 what did you expect...a Shig.

23. Feb 22, 2020 #83

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

Y'all! I just found out that Mazaki makes a premium line with special kanji! It's called his Mazaki line. I've been buying the OEM work that he does for Mizushigeheijiwatayamakedatoshi all this time and I could have been getting it with his own branding. DUMB!

heliosphere and Carl Kotte like this.
  24. Feb 22, 2020 #84

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

A really junk knife is just that 65.00 down the drain. Years ago the Richmond knife I ordered gave it to a co-worker. So much crap is made these days huge ratio of junk is sold compared to the knives we are used to. To make my point bought a Hamilton Beach 4 slice toaster at Costco some years back. It never toasted even & one side quit working after six months. After nine months two elements quit working threw it in the trash. Paid 39.00. Thought if paid more could get a better toaster. Paid 70.00 for my second try It lasted over a year. Toasted only half the bread would flip it over to toast other half. After a year a element went by out completely. Threw it in the trash.

Being a stupid twice checked EBay for vintage toaster. Paid 15.00 & 27.00 shipping. It was a gamble got a 1960 4slice toaster. I was selective had picture of the element glowing red.

Two years perfect toast be every time.

I could go on but be won't bore you. In my 70's remember when products were over engineered & lasted for many decades. On Amazon read the one star reviews if I had done that would not wasted 70.00 second time.

Kristoffer and labor of love like this.
  25. Feb 22, 2020 #85

TSF415

TSF415

TSF415

Supporting Member

No but I expected a decent knife. Misono aus8’s a few dollars more. Tojiros too. I thought it was supposed to be a knife with low end parts but made well. I was wrong. I’m not mad about it, just want to put this on the forum so when some newbie reads this he’ll pay $20 more and get a decent knife.

26. Feb 22, 2020 #86

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

Isnt this exactly why most of us love our knives?

27. Feb 22, 2020 #87

adam92

adam92

adam92

Loved mine Tesshu

28. Feb 22, 2020 #88

adam92

adam92

adam92

+1 For Koki, good to deal with it.

But Unfortunately his website increase price for most of the knife more than 20%.

I'm lucky 3 years ago buy few knives from him.

If I'm in Us I'll definitely deal with Jon, But the International shipping is my mainly concern as i haved to counting every penny i spend. Need fund for wedding, girlfriend checking my bills:oops:

29. Feb 22, 2020 #89

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Better cool it with knives for a while :D. At least till after the wedding.

JCK had a sale recently . Like when he has sale on sayas.

Along lines of Misono the Kanetsugu Pro M better. Very thin grind and comfortable handle. That and Blue Moon are are good bang for the buck blades at JCK.

30. Feb 22, 2020 #90

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

Lose the girlfriend after you get married...much cheaper that way!

riba, Xenif, adam92 and 1 other person like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted