What happened to this edge and how to set straight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halvor

Reaction score
Received this as a gift from my brother. He got one for himself as well and it’s the favourite in his kitchen. For me, it’s an ok knife, but I’m thinking that my specimen is a Monday or late night one. Look at the uneven bevel. How do I go about getting this up to standard? Using the longest/flattest bevel section as baseline and getting the rest up there as well, on a low grit stone and progressing up as per the usual routine?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sharpen normally as you would evenly along the edge until you get a bur. Flip repeat.

I would start on a medium stone. If you find it’s not going well drop down to rougher stone then proceed back up.

Try cutting. If still wedging or not smoth, go back to rough stone and thin just behind the edge.

That normally does the trick with little to no scratches if your sharpening skills are decent.

Have this exact petty. Can confirm that mine also has a really uneven bevel. Yaxell's QC genuinely sucks, so while I"m sorry this happened to you also, I'm not surprised. My profile is also a bit buggered up, so you got lucky there at least.

I've been using mine for about a year and a half now. I sharpen it normally and have never taken it lower than 1k. It gets super sharp quickly, and Yaxell's VG10 is a solid performer.

Based on my own home experience, I would recommend not resetting the bevel, it's just a pain, especially as this is a 70/30 bevel. When sharpening, sharpen normally on a 1k, and spend more time in the areas where the bevel grind is crappy to even it out. Over maybe 3-4 sharpenings you'll have gotten there. In the meantime, you will have a very sharp petty to work with.

I have 3 yaxells (got them before I knew any better, and all of them are in a drawer besides the petty). All of them have uneven and shoddy bevels. If I knew now what I knew then I wouldn't have bought them. The petty is the nicest one to use. Additionaly, OOB sharpness on the yaxells is crappy, so they need to be touched up on the stones anyhow.

Buyer beware, I guess.

Back