What happens to damascus when you thin it?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by Viggetorr, Nov 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM #1

Viggetorr

Viggetorr

Viggetorr

If I were to thin a damascus knife, what would happen to the pattern? Does it look the same as the rest of the knife in that area that's been thinned, or does the pattern disappear and need to be re-etched to return?

2. Nov 8, 2018 at 8:14 PM #2

Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

Founding Member

When you thin you are removing the layer of etched steel that provides contrast, so that the pattern will still be there, but will be be very faint. The pattern will also change somewhat. To make the finish uniform over the whole blade you can either etch it to produce a high contrast, or use fingerstones to produce an effect similar to a Shigefusa Kitaeji blade.

3. Nov 8, 2018 at 9:19 PM #3

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

If fingerstones will be useful depends on the damascus makeup. They're usually used for soft damascus claddings like the japanese use. Hardened damascus typically needs etching processes (and polishing). I wouldnt advice to reetch though, better to transfer it to a shiny stoned bevel-area over time imo. But it's a matter of preferences I guess.

4. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM #4

Viggetorr

Viggetorr

Viggetorr

Thanks for the input guys. Letting it transition into a non-damscusy area over time is interesting, never really thought about that. I guess it would look somewhat like Yoshikane SLD black damascus (but less pronounced)...

RDalman likes this.
  5. Nov 9, 2018 at 12:58 PM #5

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

Though for japanese soft clad damascus, a stone polish/kasumi will show the damascus well, like maybe a sample would be hinoura river jump. The yoshi would probably too look like that.

6. Nov 9, 2018 at 1:00 PM #6

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

One can also use snyggjärn san mai ®️, and kasumi shows it's pattern a bit similar too damascus.

7. Nov 9, 2018 at 5:31 PM #7

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

When you thin the damascus, you will slowly reveal a secret Japanese message. It will translate to "You Paid To Much For This Knife. Thank You For Supporting The Japanese Economy"

8. Nov 9, 2018 at 5:35 PM #8

inferno

inferno

inferno

is the regular japanese nickel crapola "damascus" just etched? or is it actually polished/ground to get the effect?

I have a vg10 shiki. the previous series to black dragon series. and the damascus pattern is very deep, deep valleys and ridges. you can feel it. i think they sand blasted it first and then etched it and then polished it.