What have I got ...? The rabbit hole opened before my feet ....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazyboy

Reaction score
I was after a finishing stone that I can play with, nothing too hard or requiring exceptional skills. I am a complete newb when it comes to Jnats. Just bought my first ...

I was silly and I disregarded all advice about getting from known vendor, or a trusted seller on BST and bought something off Yahoo.jp. (it was late!) .....

I know absolutely no-one on this site has ever done anything silly when it comes to impulse buys (really, nope, no-one :) :) )

At least it was a seller that banjo on KKF says "maruyo4476 carries crazy, unusual stuff." And if I crazy overpaid, I'll call it the price of learning from my mistakes !

Anyone want to venture honest opinion on the pics and description please ?

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/e335259996

Thanks so much!

You never know if it is a good deal until you use it. I've acquired many great stones this way.

Look, that stone will cost you a bit more than $100 with shipping. That is not that bad :) It looks fairly clean and has a good size. It does not have to be a total junk. You will have to test the grit and hardness. It appears the seller has not knowledge of the stone either. If the stone has a reasonable hardness and speed than you have a winner.

Oh trust me it probably won't be your first. The difficulty sometimes with the auctions is lack of info, you are buying on instincts half the time. This stone looks pretty clean, just from that one slurry pic Id gamble that it's on the softer side of Suita (if it's a Suita at all)
I also recommend you try it on different steels , raise different amount of slurry to try it out, sometime certain that steels loves certain rocks. With Jnats the results are awesome, but the joy of discovery is even greater.

Enjoy the fall down the hole

Thanks all. I'll give some comments when it arrives and I've lost my Jnat virginity

It can be anything. Maybe you'll have a great useful tool, maybe a scratchy one..
Impossible to know until you've tried.
Anyway I would seal it soon, the stone has many dangerous cracks. (if the stone is soft and coarse enough, the cracks won't really trouble your sharpening and may never be seen on the blade) One corner should break very soon, then the under right side and after that the upper left side near the red „c“.
So, first seal, then flatten and try would be my advice.

Last edited:
Back