What have you chipped your edge on?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just put a chip in my Catcheside on a stray sesame seed from an everything bagel my wife had for breakfast. So irritating!

Made me wonder what silly things and ways other folks have chipped their knives on.

My sink....twice....in the same night...alcohol may have been involved. Since, I've had better luck.

Neck bones. And ribs.

Especially if I've already been hitting the Chianti before I start dinner prep... That always affects my cutting technique.

while using it to cut plastic wrap off the roll at work because the cutter thing was missing. i wasn't paying attention to my surroundings and my follow through went too far and hit square on the lip of a metal 1/6th pan sitting on the table next to it. so dumb.

Last edited:
Bought a sujihiki to slice boneless pork loins 60lbs at a time into 3oz cutlets. Third time I use the thing my edge found a bone fragment. Took a 2mm deep chip out of my brand new blade. Wasn't to happy! Needless to say now I check every "boneless pork loin" for bones.

while using it to cut plastic wrap off the roll at work because the cutter thing was missing. i wasn't paying attention to my surroundings and my follow through went to far and hit square on the lip of a metal 1/6th pan sitting on the table next to it. so dumb.

Haha. I've done that before too, except I hit the edge of a metal table. But luckily it was a ****** stainless boning knife.

Guava seeds mess up my thin knives.

chipped edge inside a saya

wore down the gyuto enough that it moved a bit inside the non-friction fit saya w/pin. put the knife/saya away a bit too hard-- edge down, and the edge chipped inside the saya. more of a ripped/bent, but i'd still classify it as chipped. sharpened out real quick though. was a ashi gyuto that i . . . thinned slightly. (lasers are not usually the thinnest behind the edge. that would be suicide for the steel, often conservatively hard).

I've only ever gotten one chip on the blade. It was on my Kato Workhorse 210mm. I was pushing ingredients off the board into a stock pot and the blade hit the edge of the pot and chipped. Perfect semi-circle chip. Sharpened out after two sessions.

My munetoshi fell from the cutting board, all 2.5" of free fall into my kitchen counter and lost the heel. Have tipped a few knives very slightly. Had a Shig fall from the magnetic rack while drunk and fall inside a jug but it only got a couple small chips that came out very fast. Haven't had any really big chips caused by myself.

my wife chipped a nakiri on a banana

i chipped a pairing knife on an oyster

neither was as fun as they sound

my wife chipped a nakiri on a banana

i chipped a pairing knife on an oyster

neither was as fun as they sound

Chipped on a banana WTH, please explain further.

nope. she swung it like an axe and bounced it off the cutting board. the whole "it looks like a cleaver, but it's not cleaver" conversation that followed needed some, how you say, diplomacy...

Rinsing a long knife in a small sink = chipped tip very often unless you are super careful and there is no alcohol involved at all

New Shigs microchip very easily too, but that probably doesn’t count ...

Whenever I accidentally chip, crack or drop a knife, my mind always goes back to the Sword of Goujian and I always feel better.

The Sword of Goujian is a bronze-age sword which was unearthed in near-perfect condition in the 1960's... 2,500 years after it's creation.
Then, "While on loan to Singapore for display as part of a cultural exchange exhibition in 1994, a worker accidentally bumped the sword against the case, resulting in a 7mm crack on the sword." -wikipedia
Sword-of-Goujian-thumb.jpg

Reminding myself of this sorry individual never fails to cheer me up about my own misfortunes! :eek:

Last edited:
Whenever I accidentally chip, crack or drop a knife, I my mind always goes back to the Sword of Goujin and I always feel better.

For a bit of backstory, the Sword of Goujin is a bronze-age sword which was found in outstanding condition in the 1960's... 2,500 years after it's creation.
Then, (from wikipedia) "While on loan to Singapore for display as part of a cultural exchange exhibition in 1994, a worker accidentally bumped the sword against the case, resulting in a 7mm crack on the sword."
Sword-of-Goujian-thumb.jpg

Reminding myself of this sorry individual never fails to cheer me up about my own misfortunes! :eek:

As a former archaeologist, this hurts me at my core.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. There isn't even a monetary value you can place on a mistake like that.

Back