What is kasumi...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
Soo, winter is really good time to play with steel and stones, isnt it?

And so I sent my Masamoto budget edition to spa.

I polished the front entirely and set new, quite cool kasumi with the naturals im using now.

Please notice on the photo how angles of reflection changes for the iron cladding and steel edge :)

The result:

100_3263.jpg

100_3260.jpg

100_3258.jpg

Kasumi, huh? :wink:

100_3257.jpg

Some photos with my home made oak saya

100_3256.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3254.jpg

100_3253.jpg

I really like fow the wood is reflected in the blade :)

100_3252.jpg

100_3251.jpg

100_3249.jpg

That is what I think a kasumi is :)
Im thinking of polishing the back also :D

and where are pictures of these Naturals :spankarse:
Nice finish BTW !! :D

That looks fantastic - great pics..!

..and nice job on the saya as well..

Lars

Jesus, Master Yoda, please, just not with the stick... :D:D ;)

I dont have pics in action, but have photo of yesterdays carrot cake instead ! :tease:

Thanks,

it shure took some time, but thats the only thing I dont have to pay for

Very good work, biniek. Seems like a good amount of hamaguriba too.

May I please join for fun? Kasumi on yoshi with hakka from the master, and no finger stone. It is more of a fine matt kasumi finish. Still learning to do a hazy mirror kasumi, but not quite there yet.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

Very good! :)

[Come on people, shake what your momma gave ya...yyy no... show me your kasumi!!]

You need fingerstones man!! :D

Those are the three indivuduals responsible, provided by Maxim. And a set of fingering stones which I dont know what are they, two looks the same to me, I just used them so much to find out which is what, hardness and how each works on what step of the process.
100_3267.jpg

You guys are really talented around here. One day I'll get time and focus enough to be able to do as well as some of you guys. Super sweet looking

That looks really nice. How did you polish the part above the shinogi (I forget what it's called). The part with the stamps. On stones?

That is gorgeous. What did you use to polish the face of the blade, grit#?

No guys, this wasnt on stones. I started with 120 grit sandpaper and water. In steps 120/180/320/400/600/800/1000/1200/1600/2000.

Then I went down to 1000 and did it again.

Then I went to hard felt and polished with my blue compound, and then with my green compound, which should be .5, I dont care of numbers too much.

Then I polished few minutes with microfiber cloth with the green compound and there you have it.

Less than two hours I would say

Wow. I'm impressed you managed to keep the shinogi clean when sanding with sand paper. Oh, nice saya, too!

i used my favourite sandpaper holder - wine cork :D, and by holding fingernail of other finger in the spine, I guided the paper on cork jsut above the shinogi. Of course i finished kasumi after that action:)

Wine cork works very well. I've used normal wet/dry sand paper up until about 2000/3000 grit. Then it is 3M polishing paper which goes up to 8000 grit. That kk must have come quite flat that bieniek could do all that in two hours. And yup, do the body polishing first, before sharpening again. This way, retouching/cleaning up patina on the body is an easy wipe with 3M 8000 grit paper, and sometimes also with slurry from finishing stone.

I straightened it Murray Carters style before.

Its a shame straightening of edge is whole different story.

Schanop man your profile of yanagiba is perfect, smooth and sexy :)

I straightened it Murray Carters style before.

Its a shame straightening of edge is whole different story.

Schanop man your profile of yanagiba is perfect, smooth and sexy :)

:whistling: It is getting there thank. That yoshihiro tip came a bit crooked, and I have tried to fix, and learned about, the problem, and screwed the tip part through out last year. And with some tips from Jon, it has now come back reached that stage. I've lost about 15mm along the way :clown: getting my lessons and may be one or two mm jabbing it into sink while washing it. It is now just about 280mm from handle to tip.

Very good! :)

You need fingerstones man!! :D

Fingerstones are very good, and I do have some from Maxim. Just that with soft muddy stone, you can do matt kasumi without fingerstone too. Do you remember Mr. Broida's work here?

How do you make kasumi on your deba. Do you go to a great length to keep it nice?

I've just received this Atagoyama Aka-pin from Maksim, and played around with it briefly with my deba. I think it is a very good stone for the task: making a nice toothy edge, and leaving a nice even scratch pattern on jigane. It is a muddy stone, and quite easy to use.

pict0010ry.jpg

pict0008ab.jpg

I know, I still have to work on that shinogi line around the tip. And this is the stone when wet during sharpening.

pict0003l.jpg

looks like a fun stone... seems like a pretty solid base to work from for a nice finish

those red aotos are really really nice stones I love mine

I didnt do it yet on my deba, as that didnt arrived yet, but I worked on some for others.

I would allways go full way through. I also noticed it is easier on "damascus", or damascus cladding. I have my theory of that but its crazy and I wont tell.

But, As I got some pretty messed up knives, first thing is knife straightening, of what I can do with stick and hammer, and then secondary bevel straightening with DMT. Then I would work 1K stone until all scratches are gone from diamond.
And then start kasumisation, which doesnt really take all that long :) :D

Before I was pretty crazy on having really beautiful finish on my knives and polished edge, now I still want polish :D, but I realize sometimes its better to have some natural scratches but knife more ready for the task in hand! Like the Hiromoto for example, I dont go Ohira with it, no point.

@Mr Broida, it is a fun stone, get one :idea2: and join the club :thumbsup:

@bieniek, it is interesting that you have a theory for damascus knife. I haven't tried my hands on one yet, haven't been brave enough to put my kitaeji knife to use and anywhere near the stone.

My deba has seen a better finish in the past, but as soon as it goes through snapper head, I would say "oh no, not again ...." to myself. I think I am content with coarser finish for now; a king 800 muddy finish + finger stone, either natural or synthetic, works well too and is very easy to do.

It is just a knife.
I like working with steel and wood by hand, because theres some margin for errors.

You cannot make so big mistake working on the stone not to being able to fix it.

And you cannot learn if you not going to do it, can you?

The kasumi stays like it is for a few edge-touchups-sharpenings, if theres litle scratches from bone or chopping board or similar I wouldnt care.

The king effect is quite decent, i just use the mud on cork dont need fingerstone :)

Now it somes to me you actually can, If you drop the knife on stone floor and it breaks in half :D

This is really beautiful work. What impresses me is the level of shine on the blade road combined with a kasumi finish and of course your overall attention to detail. It's just really nice!

Soo, winter is really good time to play with steel and stones, isnt it?

And so I sent my Masamoto budget edition to spa.

I polished the front entirely and set new, quite cool kasumi with the naturals im using now.

Please notice on the photo how angles of reflection changes for the iron cladding and steel edge :)

The result:

100_3263.jpg

100_3260.jpg

100_3258.jpg

Kasumi, huh? :wink:

100_3257.jpg

Some photos with my home made oak saya

100_3256.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3254.jpg

100_3253.jpg

I really like fow the wood is reflected in the blade :)

100_3252.jpg

100_3251.jpg

100_3249.jpg

That is what I think a kasumi is :)
Im thinking of polishing the back also :D

I love the finish. I'm also impressed you are brave enough to go at a yanagi with a DMT.

Wow fantastic work on both yanagis. I've never gotten my kasumi finish to turn out quite that nicely, but I've never used the complete sandpaper method. I am definitely going to have to give that a try.

Fine sandpaper on the body/face of the knife where kanji is for mirror polishing not for the bevel. Kasumi on the bevel is made with stone.

Just asserting in case you've got the wrong impression

Wow fantastic work on both yanagis. I've never gotten my kasumi finish to turn out quite that nicely, but I've never used the complete sandpaper method. I am definitely going to have to give that a try.

Back