What is Powder Metallurgy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larrin

Reaction score
In this article I describe the process of powder metallurgy including:

How does powder metallurgy refine the microstructure of steel?
When was powder metallurgy invented and which company was the first to use it?
What were the early steels used with powder metallurgy and how were steels developed differently to take advantage of the technology?

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/08/20/what-is-powder-metallurgy/

Another excellent article Larrin.

One question though....how does forging a knife from PM steel(s) affect, if at all, the microstructure of the steel?

Another excellent article Larrin.

One question though....how does forging a knife from PM steel(s) affect, if at all, the microstructure of the steel?
It's not much different than forging a knife out of any steel. There are some potential benefits due to affecting the "grain direction" of impurities and carbides relative to the shape of the knife though in most cases the design and the forging method doesn't lead to any real improvement. When it comes to the bladesmiths that think they are improving the structure of the steel (whether simple carbon or complex tool steel) due to their forging that is relatively unlikely.

I like to coldpack all my edges with my heaviest hammering, for those super dense feelings :rolleyes: (am joking)

Last edited:
It's not much different than forging a knife out of any steel. There are some potential benefits due to affecting the "grain direction" of impurities and carbides relative to the shape of the knife though in most cases the design and the forging method doesn't lead to any real improvement. When it comes to the bladesmiths that think they are improving the structure of the steel (whether simple carbon or complex tool steel) due to their forging that is relatively unlikely.

Thanks Larrin

Thanks for the article. Yet another home run.

I assume the article describes first generation powder metallurgy tech. How do subsequent generations of PM technology differ? In the “spray atomization” or in the manufacture of the ingot following powder formation?

Thanks for the article. Yet another home run.

I assume the article describes first generation powder metallurgy tech. How do subsequent generations of PM technology differ? In the “spray atomization” or in the manufacture of the ingot following powder formation?
I'm going to write another article on the "generations" of PM. We did a little toughness testing comparing the identical composition M390 and 20CV.

I'd read about it, but I had never seen the powder get sprayed in a video before. Awesome!

I'd read about it, but I had never seen the powder get sprayed in a video before. Awesome!
The nice part about having a blog instead of a book is using video. As long as none of these people delete their Youtube videos. Or if Youtube dies.

Back