What is the weight of your ideal knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, @Carl Kotte, I’ve found lead tape to be useful in matching my preferred weight. I have a bunch of it anyway for weighting tennis racquets, so it seemed natural to use it on the knives. Just wrap some around the sections of the spine and handle where you want the weight. If you buy a knife that clocks in heavier than 337, you can always thin it or sand down the handle, but this is a good way to fix lighter knives. If you don’t have lead tape, you can also use lead based paint to make a heavy kurouchi finish. Depending on how many layers you use, you could increase the weight by as much as 30 g. Plus, you can do it in Hello Kitty pink.

More seriously, here’s the weight of my ideal knife atm.

401C300C-8BFA-4873-9990-BD534F91AFFC.jpeg

It really depends on the knife and it's purpose. I have light weight, mid weight, and heavy weight knives and use all equally for a variety of tasks (less now considering I am out of work). I guess I tend to gravitate towards knives with a thicker spine and weighty feel. This also makes it super fun to switch over to a Konosuke Fujiyama FT and not even feel it in my hand. :)

But that’s like half of the ideal weight! I expected more of Squid.

Mr. Squid is on the backside. He appreciates you remembering him. :)

Nice profile, the whole pkg looks nice.

Yea, it's pretty sweet. I'd actually prefer a lower tip, since I have a high(ish) countertop, but otherwise the profile's great. The feel is getting better as my body learns to work with it... it was initially a bit of an adjustment from the Miz KS. Looking forward to pitting it against the TF Mab that's arriving from labor on Friday.

I think of it as 0.80 - 1.20 grams of weight per MM of length as my sweet spot. It varies depending on the length of the blade and type of blade. Most of the time I shoot for 1 gram per MM as a starting place.

My ideal weight is as light as it can reasonably be for the task. The two knives I reach for most are ~110g and ~155g respectively. IMO this "let the knife do the work" idea is bunk. It's always gonna be you doing the work one way or another.

That just means you have to use 2 at the same time! ;)

I have actually seen, only once, a cook in an interview try to show off by using two knives at the same time. He did not get the job.

Do you prefer a lightweight or chonk? What weight knife do you find yourself gravitating toward the most?

For gyuto - whatever my masamoto ks weighs
For any other knife type - whatever my masamoto of that type weighs

Balance point definitely matters. A heavy handle balanced knife will whip around easier, than a blade forward balanced knife, within reason. Extremes either way throw it off.
Handle-heavyness as common with Wüsthof is only beneficial to rock-choppers. Otherwise, it greatly hinders.

Handle-heavyness as common with Wüsthof is only beneficial to rock-choppers. Otherwise, it greatly hinders.

I used to have a Yoshihiro western handled 240. It was a real pain to do any tip work — I couldn’t control the tip well at all. But on the upside, I could make cucumber coins at Mach 3. Sometimes I miss how cool I looked in the kitchen back then. Oh, to be younger and heavy handled.

Back