What is this? Flat spot on Sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robenco15

Reaction score
This is my first sujihiki so the blade profile is new to me. I noticed this today on my 300mm sujihiki.

It is a gradual curve from the tip to the heel and then there is a flat spot that kinda stops the roll of the knife on the boars before then proceeding to the heel.

Is this an overgrind? Hole? Big deal? Easy to take care of in the coming months as I sharpen it? Haven’t had this experience before so wanted to find some clarification.

Thank you!

Attachments

• BEB43D83-AEE7-4E6E-91F2-BC3DCC0D2E04.jpeg
    BEB43D83-AEE7-4E6E-91F2-BC3DCC0D2E04.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 721
  • D55F7083-9E3E-4BB8-8D32-48ECB84B6414.jpeg
    D55F7083-9E3E-4BB8-8D32-48ECB84B6414.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 667
Assuming that your board is dead flat, that is an overgrind or over sharpening (where you cansee light under the blade).

The profile problem is not too difficult to correct with careful attention when sharpening through a few sessions. If you don't use the suji on the board, it won't really be a problem in use, though it can be tricky to sharpen the problem area.

It can be corrected all at once with a thinning job, depending on how deep the overgrind is.

Looks like a Toyama. Did you purchase it new?

Assuming that your board is dead flat, that is an overgrind or over sharpening (where you cansee light under the blade).

The profile problem is not too difficult to correct with careful attention when sharpening through a few sessions. If you don't use the suji on the board, it won't really be a problem in use, though it can be tricky to sharpen the problem area.

It can be corrected all at once with a thinning job, depending on how deep the overgrind is.

Looks like a Toyama. Did you purchase it new?

The board is dead flat. It is a Toyama. I purchased it new.

Thanks for your reply. Kinda dissapointing.

That is the first issue like this I've heard of on a Toyama ( I have 4 ). Maybe contact the seller?

Still gorgeous. Still an incredible piece of steel. But otherwise pretty disappointing.

I’ve heard nothing but incredible things about Toyama so figures I get the one in a thousand dud.

I contacted Maksim at JNS so we’ll see what he says. Bought it over a month ago but haven’t used it til now as it was an Xmas gift. Hope that doesn’t create a problem.

Those 300mm toyama sujis do look amazing, hopefully this gets sorted out for you.

My 240 Toyama gyuto I purchased new had something similar. Mine wasn’t quite as noticeable but it was definitely there. It was sort of like it had 2 different flat spots and it would rock on the high point. It’s pretty much gone after one careful sharpening session so not a big deal in my case.

How on earth is this going to affect performance?

This is a first for me so someone with more experience can probably answer this. However, I took a potato today and when I went to slice part of it on the overgrind, it did not cut it all the way through. It also seems to get “caught” on the board at the beginning of the overgrind and “rock” weirdly at the heel.

Should not affect performance at all and will come out with a sharpening or two. Wouldn't bother me at all.

At the price it is I shouldn’t have to needlessly sharpen it a few times to fix a defect. I am totally fine with aesthetic defects but this is definitely something more. Also, I am a good sharpener, but I’m not sure how comfortable I am trying to fix this with little experience and such a nice knife. I’d have to sharpen the non-overground parts of the edge to meet the overground part. Not terribly easy.

If this was a knife I’ve had for awhile and put it through its paces, I’d probably be up for tackling all of this. In this case though it is brand new. I see no reason why I shouldn’t be able to just return it for another one and be done with it.

At the price it is I shouldn’t have to needlessly sharpen it a few times to fix a defect. I am totally fine with aesthetic defects but this is definitely something more. Also, I am a good sharpener, but I’m not sure how comfortable I am trying to fix this with little experience and such a nice knife. I’d have to sharpen the non-overground parts of the edge to meet the overground part. Not terribly easy.

If this was a knife I’ve had for awhile and put it through its paces, I’d probably be up for tackling all of this. In this case though it is brand new. I see no reason why I shouldn’t be able to just return it for another one and be done with it.
Well excuse me, you're the one that asked. What's there is not that big of a deal. You don't have to sharpen it now and it will come out on it's own when you do sharpen. You don't have to do anything special to it.

Well excuse me, you're the one that asked. What's there is not that big of a deal. You don't have to sharpen it now and it will come out on it's own when you do sharpen. You don't have to do anything special to it.

You’re excused? Sorry if my reply came off snarky? Wasn’t meaning it to be, just frustrated. I’ll look into sharpening the grind out. Last I checked I thought there is a risk of creating more of a hole.

Depends how far up the blade road and how severe the overgrind is. Could get worse with as you sharpen. Can you see evidence of overgrind? Should be possible to see under artificial light.

Incomplete cuts really bug me.

JNS got back to me. Didn’t seem to think it was an overgrind as Toyama uses a large wheel and hand sharpens all his blades. He also said that in this picture all Toyamas come like that.

He did offer to replace it but maybe I’ll try sharpening it out today. See how it goes. Not sure I can send it back after I try to sharpen it though.

Attachments

• E0122453-9FC3-470B-916E-95E3CF5F09F6.jpeg
    E0122453-9FC3-470B-916E-95E3CF5F09F6.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 117
I just wanted to say that I agree with you that when buying a premium item (knife in this case) you should not be expected to fix it with several sharpening sessions. That’s just mind boggling to me when people say this.
We are not talking about crude $100 knife here, ffs.

I hope it will get sorter out one way or another but with you being satisfied with the item.

Yeah I’m pretty torn. The knife is so sharp. If I sharpen it myself to attempt to fix it, it will probably lose some of its sharpness (becauase I’m not as good as Toyama) and there is a chance I’m not able to fix it.

On the other hand, the shipping process to Denmark and all the time waiting, etc. is a pain.

Lastly though, the overgrind is in a terrible spot on the knife. It is exactly where I would be cutting most things. I just cut this grape to further confirm it isn’t just in my head. Sliced the grape all the way down to the board. The pictures show it sliced, but still connected by the smallest amount.

Probably going to the post office tomorrow.

Attachments

• 6041340A-2642-40C7-A26B-7312C4AAD739.jpeg
    6041340A-2642-40C7-A26B-7312C4AAD739.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 109
  • C7964BC8-5AE3-4506-98A3-0987A55821EA.jpeg
    C7964BC8-5AE3-4506-98A3-0987A55821EA.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 110
Its not worth changing cutting style to compensate for that poor performance eg slicing further, pressing harder etc. I'd return it and accept Maksim's exchange offer.

Sorry to keep this thread going, but it seems that Denmark, where JNS is located, does not allow knives to be mailed into the country. Therefore I cannot use USPS.

I believe Fedex or UPS would be fine, but that would cost $190. Maksim said he would reimburse me the cost of shipping. I can’t imagine he’d be ok with that large of a reimbursement. Obviously I’ll email him about this, but does anyone have any experience with this? Am I missing something. $190 sounds like a lot and the USPS seems like it would get held up in customs and disappear.

Nevermind. Apparently it is fine as long as his company’s name and vat nr is there.

Hypothetically, after yourr fix/sharpening, how much longer wld the flat spot be? ( if applicable)

just curious..

Just return it for a replacement.

Maxim is excellent in dealing with returns, and remember, he gave you free shipping on the purchase in the first place.

He also paid shipping on a return I made a couple of years age too. Not many vendors will do that.

Cheers

J :)

Just return it for a replacement.

Maxim is excellent in dealing with returns, and remember, he gave you free shipping on the purchase in the first place.

He also paid shipping on a return I made a couple of years age too. Not many vendors will do that.

Cheers

J :)

Exactly what I’ll be doing. He’s been great in all of this.

I agree, don't try to sharpen it just send it back. Even if it did sharpen out OK without any trouble this seems like something that will still stick in the back of your mind. I would take Maxim up on his exchange offer if for no other reason than you will feel better about the knife. When spending this much money being totally happy with the purchase is really important to be able to fully enjoy it.

No offense meant here, but why did you purchase a suji in the first place? I’m hoping not to cut grapes... I use sujis daily in a pro setting and 90% of my usage is pull cutting (slicing of cooked proteins, some light butchery, etc..) and extremely rarely for any veg prep, and not rocking chop/heel work. From my angle and usage experience, this looks to be a fine knife, or at least what it was intended for, tho I could be mistaken. As well the slight issues could be amended as time went on. (I’ll add that I’ve changed the geometry on quite a few knives after giving them a few runs like thinning or angle preferences) But for the benefit of the doubt, it’s not in my hands, soooo....

I tend to respectfully disagree. Every time you sharpen it, you will have to face this flaw and address it properly.
You cannot use a rod without worsening the problem.
If you want to fully rectify the profile a lot of work will be involved (evening out by breading, thinning) with an uncertain result, depending on how deep the overgrind is. You will throw away more material than in years of use and sharpening.
You didn't ask for a project knife, didn't you? And we are not speaking about a $80 NOS Sab.

No offense meant here, but why did you purchase a suji in the first place? I’m hoping not to cut grapes... I use sujis daily in a pro setting and 90% of my usage is pull cutting (slicing of cooked proteins, some light butchery, etc..) and extremely rarely for any veg prep, and not rocking chop/heel work. From my angle and usage experience, this looks to be a fine knife, or at least what it was intended for, tho I could be mistaken. As well the slight issues could be amended as time went on. (I’ll add that I’ve changed the geometry on quite a few knives after giving them a few runs like thinning or angle preferences) But for the benefit of the doubt, it’s not in my hands, soooo....

I definitely did NOT buy it to cut grapes. I was simply using the grape as a way of checking and demonstrating the overgrind. I basically plan on using it for what you’re using it for.

Back